Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
and why exactly are you guessing that? Perhaps because of pure speculatri.. ermm speculation?
The N900 does have a lesser GPU with nearly the same resolution...
the AMOLED displays on the Android devices were pentile, then came super-amoled, and eventually super-amoled-plus

http://www.tested.com/news/pentile-v...ifferent/1868/

here's a useful closeups:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/13/s...versus-amoled/

The Following User Says Thank You to speculatrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
So leave - what do you expect ? ppl to beg you to stay ?

Or are you one of those posters who want to write big drama posts to announce your departure ?
So you thinks its fun reading same messages over and over again about people crying about lack of HWKB or lack of adobe flash?

Someone should count the post in this thread about this....

Cmon for freak sake get over it!

Originally Posted by adnokr5 View Post
I honestly do not understand why people over here are disappointed. N9 was never meant to be N900 successor. If they had stuck with original symbian + Qt + Meego plan, N9 wouldve been their flagship product for 2011. It might still be. And you know what FLAGSHIPS ARE NOT MADE FOR A FEW THOUSAND GEEKS. They are mass market devices targeted at millions. And N9 is perfect for them. A normal personal doesn't need a HWKB. How many iphone users complain about lack of HWKB? eh. 95% people do not need user replaceable battery. Heck I myself am a power user and ive never bought a second battery for a phone. And USB OTG? How many people actually use it on daily basis? Few.
N9 is THE perfect phone for average consumers out there. Good hardware with excellent software. And I do not understand your hypocrisy. On one hand you want MeeGo(N9) to be retained and used to fight off ios and android and yet you want it to have N900 like capabilities. A geek phone cannot compete ios and android. it is time you understood this. N9 is a much better consumer product than the brick N900 was (this coming from an ardent N900 fan). And you know what no one gives a sh*t if a couple hundred geeks do not agree
I'll tell you why people here are disappointed: If I was working at a mobile phone store and regular Joe walks in wondering what type of phone he should get, I'd direct him to the Iphone or windows phone 7, which I know in good conscience would be: easy to use, have decent functionality, look pretty, have terrific usage expandability via apps and be supported for at least 2 years.

If on the other hand this Joe happened to be looking for the latest and the greatest, I'd direct him to either Samsung or HTC with android. He'd get the latest specs, powerful processor, and all of 2011's latest bells and whistles, decent apps and functionality and if not lenghty carrier support, at least a pretty large home brew base.

Now to this phone... In all fairness, I would be doing regular Joe a disservice offering him this, not knowing if Nokia will once again in the space of a year decide to switch strategies or drop support for their "next" step, I couldn't guarantee plentiful amounts of apps and it couldn't be sold on it's cutting edge hardware merits alone.

So, please explain to me just who is supposed to buy this? You're not appealing to the mass market, they already have iphones, you're not appealing to those who want the latest hardware, because latest hardware this is not, and I don't think, in my opinion, that this is going to be appealing to the Linux crowd, which made up a good percentage of Maemo 5 users.

Now don't get me wrong I think this phone looks great, I like it's aesthetics and GUI, I can live with the slower GPU and single core processor, I don't mind the 8 mp camera or the fact that it doesn't have an fm transmitter, though I will miss that, I can even live with only an on screen keyboard. But, how Nokia thought, that for a media device, which is obviously focused on people who like media consumption, that not including HDMI out or USB on the go was a good idea? or that a camera with a decent lens shouldn't have xenon flash. or that BT 2.1 in a 2011 phone was a good idea, This, just boggles the mind and, in my opinion, is indicative of everything that is wrong with this company. They don't seem to have a clue who they want to be targeting and when they think they do, they change their strategy faster than it'll take me to finish typing this post!

It's a shame, as I'm probably the perfect costumer for this phone. I'm not a geek, I'm a designer, I like simple things, I like to own my device, and usually buy unlocked. I also prefer that there is some freedom in the mobile ecological system that I'm using. I also own the N900 and I really liked it, I lucked out with it. I've had no hardware problems, I'm over-clocked to 1.15 ghz 24/7 with no issues, I've applied all the community customizations and it works like a charm. The only bad experiences I've had owning this phone have come from Nokia and from their seemingly random choices and decisions.

So, I am disappointed. An N900 successor this is not, an Iphone competitor this isn't either, and it's not powerful enough to be bought just for bragging rights. This looks to be a great phone but Nokia is obliged to screwup on the details. Untill they figure out that they need to start being competive and stop relying on the Nokia brand to sell their products, I'm not keen on buying from them again, and I'm definitively not recommending them to others either.

Last edited by billybobjones; 2011-06-21 at 12:11.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to billybobjones For This Useful Post:
Oh, so the mindlessly optimistic attitude displayed on this thread prior to today is OK, but mindlessly pessimistic is not ?

.... If you want to read only "positive" news, then you really do not belong here...

... you should be at the Apple Iphone Echo Chamber...

... well, what are you waiting for ? Uncle Jobs is over there waiting for you

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Yes I guess I never learn but I am really sick of this ALWAYS negative attitude on this forum!

I know I am also sometime negative but seeing same post over and over and over again about lack of HWKB lack off blablabla all the time makes me wonder why some people is here!?

I am also has got pissed sometimes about Nokias decssions an WP plans but now we atleast have some new cool Linux device to play with and QT is already upgraded with beta of Harmattan SDK :-)

But we cant expect to have everything from a new device.

This negative attitude from several people doesnt help the community.

I guess thats why several devs/people has already leaved :-(

The Following User Says Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by LTman View Post
i use shortcutd an app that make the halfpressed camera button a way to get to the task switcher
If I understood it right, N9 doesn't have a camera button. The button next to the volume rocker is the power button.

Last edited by tonspaa; 2011-06-21 at 12:07. Reason: fixed the typos

So, I am disappointed. An N900 successor this is not, an Iphone competitor this isn't either, and it's not powerful enough to be bought just for bragging rights. This looks to be a great phone but Nokia is obliged to screwup on the details, I'm not keen on buying from them again, and until they figure their stuff out I'm definitively not recommending them to others either.
You got it wrong. Its f****** pretty, and its cheaper than an iphone. It has facebook/twitter/skype integration. So yes, it will sell. At least compared to WP7.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
Yes I guess I never learn but I am really sick of this ALWAYS negative attitude on this forum!

I know I am also sometime negative but seeing same post over and over and over again about lack of HWKB lack off blablabla all the time makes me wonder why some people is here!?

I am also has got pissed sometimes about Nokias decssions an WP plans but now we atleast have some new cool Linux device.

We cant expect to have AVERYthing from a new device.

I guess thats why several devs/people has already leaved :-(
Let the people scream and critizise. Don't be like iSheep.

Let's face it... N9 is a joke. And that price? Horrible for what it delivers!

I can see the efforts put in Harmattan, but the lack of keyboard, capacitive Pentile display with disappointing resolution, no up to date SoC, no HDMI, no USB OTG, no FM Transmitter really sucks. All that wannabe geeks with their GS2, HTCs and maybe iphones and whatnot will compare exactly these specs as these are the major selling points of these phones.
Well and the die-hards, the open-source fans? Well they also know about these things missing, they also know that's old yesteryears hardware sold for a ridiculous price. So what's left? A nice looking OS which may or may not be a real step up from Fremantle and has little to no future as it is Nokia we are talking about.

So exactly why should people here live in pink N9 candyland and be happy?

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
Oh, so the mindlessly optimistic attitude displayed on this thread prior to today is OK, but mindlessly pessimistic is not ?

.... If you want to read only "positive" news, then you really do not belong here...

... you should be at the Apple Iphone Echo Chamber...

... well, what are you waiting for ? Uncle Jobs is over there waiting for you
Have you readed my posts before?!? Since when was I only positive about everything coming from Nokia!?

I also dislike that it doesnt have HDMI (as an example) but start whining like kids about it over and over again doesnt help!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
You are not helping in that one regard. Negativity is can come from others with seemingly good intentions as well.

Let the dust settle, let folks think with clearer minds, stop yelling about things.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
You are not helping in that one regard. Negativity is can come from others with seemingly good intentions as well.

Let the dust settle, let folks think with clearer minds, stop yelling about things.
YAY! Gerbick's back! What do you think of the new Fisher Price toy?

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland