Posts: 93 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Halifax
Once again I think people need to understand Nokia is trying to make MONEY. Yes it doesn't seem all that disruptive to US TMO advanced users who are used to the mobile computer that is the N900. In the eyes of a general average Joe it most likely is just because the interface is simple and easy to use doesn't mean its crap. After all isn't that what most people want an easy to use phone?I can't begin to count how many times people asked me how to use my phone and why it seemed so complicated. Yes to me the n900 is easy to use but to the average user no, also remember the n900 was to be an upgrade to the NIT family for those old faithful NIT users which are only a hand ul in comaprison to the general mass. I didn't go in expecting the N9 to continue that lineage and hence why so many are disappointed . So yes some features are missing but features only US n900 users will miss ( except for adobe flash and no hdmi) that are not really that important to the mass market in which Nokia is trying to Capitalize on. The fm transmitter is the only other thing that i think would be cool to have had but oh well. I think this phone will do remarkably well, only time will tell but I believe in Nokia

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maj3stic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
How about this first impression:

Is that really not good enough, just because the numbers don't look exciting? I could understand nervousness if you are big on gaming and want to be sure that games on your phone can get those last few polygons on the screen, but if gaming is your primary concern, then you should obviously go with a bigger platform anyway. Some 3D games that will be available for the N9 also look gorgeous and run completely fluidly.
Yes. I'm not a menu using guy. I'm more like a application using type of user. Most of all I'd like to have music software and some games. I'm not expecting to see heavy game support and even less music software. But I would be happy with one good synthesizer and perhaps a PS emulator could carry me over next couple of years.

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Boston, MA
Really hoping the N9 makes it stateside in an official release...

Watching the availability and new countries are being added but as of yet no USA - keeping my fingers crossed on an FCC notification in the upcoming months...

Its not a developer centric device like the N900 but it looks like an awesome device all the same from what I have seen, good job Nokia now lets get it released!!

Originally Posted by AndyNokia232 View Post
Surely an crucial aspect of this device is its onscreen keyboard, which we need more info on. Like NOW. Not having a hw kb like the N900 is pretty damn important, so what's its replacement? Another iPhone-like one with annoying pop-up letters when you hit letters? Meh. If the guy in last night's demo showed us THAT (got some journo up from the floor to have a go) then it would help answer that question. Is there even a landscape qwerty? haven't seen it yet.
Yes there are popups, don't know what is annoying about that. Even if you never slide to hit the right button, it helps to verify that you are not mistyping.

Landscape keyboard is there.

It has incredible response times, so it can cope even with the fastest typists. Magnifying glass for cursor positioning (on long press).

Umlauts etc can be entered by pressing long on a key, but you can also switch to a different language / keyboard type on the fly by swiping left or right (you choose which ones you want).

The Following User Says Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by tkatchev View Post
Sorry, if I have to 'download an SDK' to start developing, then it isn't GNU/Linux.
That's of course, complete and utter rubbish. Because, you know, when you develop for GNU/Linux, you just imagine the code while sitting in front of your Mac, Windows or Linux, and then it materializes the bits and pieces from this air and brings them together in one big zzzzzingggGGGG that results in a package.

Can I develop directly on-board the device?
Yes.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 118 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Belgium
I found this video today.
Uploaded by NokiaConversations on youtube.
It's a demo of the N9 UI

http://youtu.be/BSZssHGR-Qg

The Following User Says Thank You to Bartcore3 For This Useful Post:
n900 omap3630 (or whatever just correct me if i am wrong ) from 600:1150
n9 omap3640 1000:1900
we are all awaiting the next generation of power kernel

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LTman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 190 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
Yes there are popups, don't know what is annoying about that. Even if you never slide to hit the right button, it helps to verify that you are not mistyping.

Landscape keyboard is there.

It has incredible response times, so it can cope even with the fastest typists. Magnifying glass for cursor positioning (on long press).

Umlauts etc can be entered by pressing long on a key, but you can also switch to a different language / keyboard type on the fly by swiping left or right (you choose which ones you want).
Same as android - and it's a good thing. Android just have the popups when long pressing for shift-like functions, but I dig the idea of the popus everytime.

The device looks very good, and a solid replacement for my Galaxy S (that I can pass to my girlfriend to replace her aging E63, she's already well versed in using my android for internet and such)

I'm only turned off by the lack off flash, so I hope it's just temporary. And I really hope that Nokia price it accordingly, considering the hardware. I like a lot the idea of a "underpowered" device, if MeeGo can deliver more with less horsepower, what could drive the costs (and battery usage) down. I bet an OMAP3 is way cheaper when compared to tegra2 for manufacturers.

Last edited by Verythrax; 2011-06-21 at 12:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to Verythrax For This Useful Post:
Posts: 193 | Thanked: 201 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Subotica, Serbia
If you got one in magenta, would you use it in public?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mmlado For This Useful Post:
Posts: 135 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
http://swipe.nokia.com/

This video is recorded in a park of Capital Federal (Buenos Aires) called Plaza San Martin. I'm like... 3 blocks away from it right now, lol. Big surprise for me.

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????