Posts: 283 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by ZackMorris View Post
Ok here is another quick question about the N9, it takes a micro sim. So I have an old school plan with AT&T on my N900 and they think I have some old samsung phone with data, and they haven't changed it yet, so I am paying something like 9.99 for unlimited data. There is no way in hell I'm going to them asking for a micro sim and having my plan all changed up. So is there a process to clone a regular sim onto a micro sim, or is there a way to mod the sim (by cutting it) to a compatible micro sim?
don’t worry, you can do it yourself. as said just cut of the plastic corners or you can use of these to make micro-sim
http://www.amazon.de/Hebron-Micro-SI.../dp/B003XIA0QK

or like this
http://www.micro-sim.de/selbst-basteln/

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Barcelona
Some hardware questions:

Zehjotkah told us something like "you will not want the N950 because the N9 has some new patented technology". [ I can't find the exact quote, sorry, but too many comments here. ] Some people concluded that it had something really special that rendered the hardware keyboard not that necessary (although he didn't say that). @Zehjotkah, can you confirm us want you wanted to say exactly now? Sorry if you already said it, but too many pages today. I can't keep the rhythm of TMO. :-P

Another one:

The leaked package list contained libwl1271, so I (amongst others) jumped in, and said that the wl1271 has Bluetooth 4.0 and FM receiver/transmitter. Can someone confirm if the N9/N950 have this chip? If yes, then maybe we can have FM radio in a firmware update. Same could be said about other features that AFAIK can be done in software, like USB host (a.k.a. USB OTG).

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to suy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by suy View Post
Some hardware questions:

Zehjotkah told us something like "you will not want the N950 because the N9 has some new patented technology". [ I can't find the exact quote, sorry, but too many comments here. ] Some people concluded that it had something really special that rendered the hardware keyboard not that necessary (although he didn't say that). @Zehjotkah, can you confirm us want you wanted to say exactly now? Sorry if you already said it, but too many pages today. I can't keep the rhythm of TMO. :-P

Another one:

The leaked package list contained libwl1271, so I (amongst others) jumped in, and said that the wl1271 has Bluetooth 4.0 and FM receiver/transmitter. Can someone confirm if the N9/N950 have this chip? If yes, then maybe we can have FM radio in a firmware update. Same could be said about other features that AFAIK can be done in software, like USB host (a.k.a. USB OTG).

on his blog meetmeego.org he said curved display together with swipe-keyboard is the reason why you won’t miss a hwkb. nothing special imho.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zymo For This Useful Post:
many asked about N950 this last night and here is the answer:

You can't buy N950 (Dali), it won't be available for sale. They will pick developers from each country and give them away for free.

(I asked it for review together with N9 and hopefully get one)

The Following User Says Thank You to Sampsa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by billybobjones View Post
I'll tell you why people here are disappointed: If I was working at a mobile phone store and regular Joe walks in wondering what type of phone he should get, I'd direct him to the Iphone or windows phone 7, which I know in good conscience would be: easy to use, have decent functionality, look pretty, have terrific usage expandability via apps and be supported for at least 2 years.

If on the other hand this Joe happened to be looking for the latest and the greatest, I'd direct him to either Samsung or HTC with android. He'd get the latest specs, powerful processor, and all of 2011's latest bells and whistles, decent apps and functionality and if not lenghty carrier support, at least a pretty large home brew base.

Now to this phone... In all fairness, I would be doing regular Joe a disservice offering him this, not knowing if Nokia will once again in the space of a year decide to switch strategies or drop support for their "next" step, I couldn't guarantee plentiful amounts of apps and it couldn't be sold on it's cutting edge hardware merits alone.

So, please explain to me just who is supposed to buy this? You're not appealing to the mass market, they already have iphones, you're not appealing to those who want the latest hardware, because latest hardware this is not, and I don't think, in my opinion, that this is going to be appealing to the Linux crowd, which made up a good percentage of Maemo 5 users.

Now don't get me wrong I think this phone looks great, I like it's aesthetics and GUI, I can live with the slower GPU and single core processor, I don't mind the 8 mp camera or the fact that it doesn't have an fm transmitter, though I will miss that, I can even live with only an on screen keyboard. But, how Nokia thought, that for a media device, which is obviously focused on people who like media consumption, that not including HDMI out or USB on the go was a good idea? or that a camera with a decent lens shouldn't have xenon flash. or that BT 2.1 in a 2011 phone was a good idea, This, just boggles the mind and, in my opinion, is indicative of everything that is wrong with this company. They don't seem to have a clue who they want to be targeting and when they think they do, they change their strategy faster than it'll take me to finish typing this post!

It's a shame, as I'm probably the perfect costumer for this phone. I'm not a geek, I'm a designer, I like simple things, I like to own my device, and usually buy unlocked. I also prefer that there is some freedom in the mobile ecological system that I'm using. I also own the N900 and I really liked it, I lucked out with it. I've had no hardware problems, I'm over-clocked to 1.15 ghz 24/7 with no issues, I've applied all the community customizations and it works like a charm. The only bad experiences I've had owning this phone have come from Nokia and from their seemingly random choices and decisions.

So, I am disappointed. An N900 successor this is not, an Iphone competitor this isn't either, and it's not powerful enough to be bought just for bragging rights. This looks to be a great phone but Nokia is obliged to screwup on the details. Untill they figure out that they need to start being competive and stop relying on the Nokia brand to sell their products, I'm not keen on buying from them again, and I'm definitively not recommending them to others either.
I agree with your assessment 100%, but the only thing I can honestly think of that this is truly a "market disrupting device" because it I honestly whole heartedly truly believe that this is not the last Meego phone we'll see from Nokia. Think about the Iphone 3G when it first came out, it slowly got better and better, more added feature then before you know it, leading smartphone. I believe this is what Nokia wants to do, have you guys on here Develop using the N950 and support this little side project called Meego until they've used up MS money for the time being. Then in 5 years ( I think that's how long MS signed up for) used as a bargaining chip, so honestly guys, in the end its all about money and leverage and strategy. So next year's Meego phone will have a few more things like HDMI output or Adobe flash downloaded from the store option like Android has.

Listen, people are dumb, phone buyers are dumber, you think my little sister cares about this stuff, hell no, when she picks up an iphone 4 and sees glitz and glamour or it, like how smooth the interface is and the pretty features, you think she has a clue about ecosystem? Like honestly she could care less. But I'll put any money down on the line, right now you put Iphone 4 beside the N9, just from UI and design, N9 will win 9 out of 10 times. Thats a fact.

my two cents.

I'd like to thank all the future N950 developers ahead of time for their courage and efforts for our future meego phones

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Diavoli For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
I was told that the decision to not release the (now named N950) developer device was becasue of the sliding mechanism.
I don't know if this is true or not and to be clear: I doubt it. Nokia made a wonderful sliding mechanism in the Nokia E7 and the one at the dev device I had to play with felt nearly the same.
What remains then as reason?
Management (read: Elop) or anything else?
That's always been the reason IMO.
Never bought the faulty slider mechanism story

Originally Posted by zymo View Post
* N950 supports Bluetooth version 2.1+EDR, whereas N9 supports
version 4.0
Not according to the specs
http://www.developer.nokia.com/Devic...cations/N9-00/

Originally Posted by zonk0r View Post
slightly baffled by people on here bigging up specific haptik feedback screen as well? did the proto's actually have this? If so, then I will wait for 2.0.. graphene coating?
Yeah what was that all about "insiders"?!!?

Originally Posted by zonk0r View Post
here you go
http://meegonews.com/2010/11/21/lte-...-in-meego-1-3/
Cept that's referring to meego-core (vanilla meego), not harmatten...
Not everything was/is shared between the two platforms, at least yet.

I am quite stumped at some of the choices like the lack of HDMI out? I can understand that you may not use that, but as a phone that is obviously catered towards mainstream users with 720p playback the fact that you can't output that to your TV on a 700 dollar device is unacceptable.
---> Nokia AV 3.5 port

^ Is for outputting 720p (in dolby encoded format/s)

yes, like samsung galaxy s2 does. BUT unfortunately the n9 doesn’t support MHL.
you know this how?

Originally Posted by zlatokosi View Post
Zeh, the figure of 92,000 Dali's has been floated around before. If they are only giving 250 to the community, what is going on with the rest?
I understand they will be (have been) handed out to reviewers, devs, partners, carriers, commercial devs and so on, but the production figure still seems high to account for the difference.
At least I hope commercial developers are obliged to write software if they receive a free/leased Dali. Any info on that?
Interested in an answer on this too...
At those numbers surely there'll be quite few that leech out onto the regular market. Hopefully not for an overly inflated price

aye, so does my N900, I was hoping that this might be a decent upgrade. This is where I don't get Nokia, both the N8 and E7 support HDMI out as well as USB on the go why shouldn't an even more expensive phone? I'm bothered that I'm being forced to choose between a rather slow, memory lacking phone aka N8 or not having the same connectivity on a faster phone it just doesn't serve the customer at all.
What makes you think outputting via the Nokia AV 3.5 port is in any way inferior to outputting via hdmi?
Anyway I don't see where its proven we don't have USB-otg or MHL... yet.
Just because it's no mentioned in official specs, doesn't mean its not there.
Some other things may be further supported in the coming weeks... or not.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-07-03 at 08:01.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 355 | Thanked: 245 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Northern VA
Ok so I owned a N86 a year or more back when it came out, and I sold it when I saw the N900 teaser and waited and was well rewarded. Before that phone I had a N82 and N810. So I remember the low light ability of the N82 with the xenon flash was something else, to this day I'm still blown away by it. The N86 was a bit disappointing, it just wasn't as good. The aperture on that phone is 2.4, the N9 is 2.2. The flash is the dual led on both, how much better is that .2 difference going to be for low light shots and static that almost always shows on night shots with a dual led?

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
That's always been the reason IMO.
Never bought the faulty slider mechanism

Not according to the specs

Yeah what was that all about "insiders"?!!?

Cept that's referring to meego-core (vanilla meego), not harmatten...
Not everything was/is shared between the two platforms, at least yet.

---> Nokia AV 3.5 port

^ Is for outputting 720p (in dolby encoded format/s)

you know this how?

Interested in an answer on this too...
At those numbers surely there'll be quite few that leech out onto the regular market. Hopefully not for an overly inflated price

Nokia N950 phone hardware specification
=======================================

Nokia N950 phone uses same hardware components as the Nokia N9 phone
with the following exceptions:

* N950 is physically larger and is made out of aluminum, whereas N9 has
a polycarbonate unibody.
* N950 has a physical slide-out QWERTY keyboard. The N9 is a touchscreen
-only device.
* N950 has a 4î TFT LCD display whereas N9 has 3.9î AMOLED display.
Display resolution is same on both devices (854x480). Due to the use
of different display technologies, developers should avoid one pixel
with fonts and graphical objects with lines one pixel wide. Also avoid
the extensive use of bright colors, especially white, when developing
for OLED displays as this increases the power consumption (typical
for OLED displays).
* N950 has a different physical camera module than N9. Both camera
modules have very similar image quality (Carl Zeiss branding in N9)
and both modules support 8Mpix image mode.
* In the N950 the front facing camera is in top right corner and on N9
it is in the bottom right corner. The actual camera module is same.
* N950 supports Bluetooth version 2.1+EDR, whereas N9 supports
version 4.0

* N950 does not have support for NFC
* N9 has slightly more sensitive magnetometer and ALS
* N950 has 1320mAh battery, the N9 has 1450mAh battery

EDIT: Maybe it needs a firmware update for 4.0 (along with usb-otg )

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Nokia N950 phone hardware specification
======================================= <SNIP>
EDIT: Maybe it needs a firmware update for 4.0 (along with usb-otg )
Where'd you see that?
In the official specs it's 2.1+edr, but hopefully they upgrade to BT4 later, along with usb-otg!?
No idea if they will though, probably not....

Don't really care that there's no mhl or hdmi out, what's wrong with the video-out already built-in!?
Does the job nicely, get a hdmi adapter if you need one!

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-07-03 at 08:03.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vvaz View Post
I have mixed feelings...

UI is AWESOME. I like it very much.
But hardware is so, so. By the time when it will be available worldwide I will be able to get SGS2 30% less than starting price and 40% less than starting price of N9. .
Same feeling here, I was expecting dual core, skype and adobe flash.

Ouch....Nokia.....What happen ?

PS: Forgot one more thing; Keyboard please

Last edited by tirtawn; 2011-06-21 at 19:35.

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland