Active Topics

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
There's no effor to backport Meego to the n800.

I still use my N810 on a daily basis. It makes a very good alarm clock using flipclock and as a mobile radio/upnp renderer because of awesome battery life. And I realy got used to have an ssh client in my alarm clock in the bedroom

I would be very interested in getting Qt 4.7 with QML running on it. Anyone know if it is possible? I fear the graphics card cannot handle it properly.

The community SSU website states it would support also Maemo4 but the actual download button is disabled.

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by ggoebel View Post
I just bought 3 nokia n800's. -And I'm a newcomer to the platform.

I'm interested in the Maemo CSSU for n8x0 and the efforts to backport Meego to n8x0.
Meego won't happen, at least in a usable state.
CSSU seems dormant.
Hard to sift through the Diablo Turbo thread. I'm curious if the improvements are "stable" and if so, if they'll be coming to a CSSU soon. Perhaps they're already in the CSSU and I just missed it.
I guess it has grown too much. First post is the important one.
I'd say it's quite stable, nobody complains of any major problem since the last update and last testing kernel increases stability.
None of the improvements are in the CSSU.

Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
Meego won't happen, at least in a usable state.
http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N8x0
http://elinux.org/N800
Have all the developers (luke-jr, kvalo, stskeeps, Sage, w00t, dl9pf, and Termana) associated with the backport drifted away? From the 2nd link, it appears work continues to get hardware support merged into the mainline linux kernel.

CSSU seems dormant.
Who is/was responsible for CSSU?

(regarding Diablo Turbo)
I guess it has grown too much. First post is the important one. I'd say it's quite stable, nobody complains of any major problem since the last update and last testing kernel increases stability.
Well when I find time to sift through the whole thread... I'll try to write up a summary. -Good to know the original author is still around :-)

None of the improvements are in the CSSU.
Guess this goes back to who is/was responsible for the CSSU? How would one go about incorporating Diablo Turbo into a CSSU?

The Following User Says Thank You to ggoebel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Have all the developers (luke-jr, kvalo, stskeeps, Sage, w00t, dl9pf, and Termana) associated with the backport drifted away? From the 2nd link, it appears work continues to get hardware support merged into the mainline linux kernel.

Who is/was responsible for CSSU?

(regarding Diablo Turbo)

Well when I find time to sift through the whole thread... I'll try to write up a summary. -Good to know the original author is still around :-)

Guess this goes back to who is/was responsible for the CSSU? How would one go about incorporating Diablo Turbo into a CSSU?
MeeGo backport was closed as not feasible. A shame that is.

Diablo CSSU is dormant due to closed source blockers and lack of interested qualified developers. If you see a potential roadmap to keep Diablo alive, then propose it. I will promote it if it is practical.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
I guess the other thing I'm interested in is modern standards compliant browsers and support for flash.

I see Opera Mobile 11 is available for n8x0... even if it is a little buggy. That is nice. I've heard mention of a couple other browsers. -But no flash... Is there a browser available for n8x0 which supports HTML5 and flash?

Is anyone aware of any mobile browsers for n8x0 which can use gnash for flash support?

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
MeeGo backport was closed as not feasible. A shame that is.
Any insight on where folks hit the wall?

I recall reading a thread discussing Meego dependencies on packages being compiled with support for video acceleration... But it also sounded like it'd be possible to create a Meego distro for older more limited hardware.

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Diablo CSSU is dormant due to closed source blockers and lack of interested qualified developers. If you see a potential roadmap to keep Diablo alive, then propose it. I will promote it if it is practical.
Any pointers to what the blockers are?

I don't have a roadmap per-say, but rolling diablo turbo into a CSSU update sounds like a natural first step. Is there a developer page for the Diablo CSSU documenting the process and how it was/is put together?

After that, I suppose it'd be about taking the things which folks are still interested in and providing them a place to put their work... so that we aren't all manually patching, compiling, configuring, and applying updates.

Personally, my first item after diablo turbo would be to try to get an HTML5 compliant mobile browser compiled with support for flash via gnash. As long as the n8x0 has a decent browser, it will continue to be relevant to me.

The next thing I would investigate would be the state of openjdk and icedtea-web (java web start)... to see if I could get decent support for running java web start applets from within a browser.

Reality check: If it is possible to sort through the issues and get stuff to compile and install... I'll eventually be able to figure it out, document it, and package it up. But it isn't likely that I'll wade deeply into the code on any of these projects or their dependencies.

I'm also not the personality type with a long attention span and dedication to supporting projects over the long haul. For me, the motivation would be to find a framework I can work within which allows me to focus on the fixing problems relevant to me and contribute my sweat equity, so others don't have to go through the same pain.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ggoebel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
There used to be a wiki entry, but i worry that it as been removed or rewritten with a Maemo 5 focus

Or maybe i was looking under too generic a title (and forgetting to check the discussions related to pages):
http://wiki.maemo.org/Talk:Diablo_Co...released_fixes

Last edited by tso; 2011-06-21 at 16:00.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
The second link, as well as the git repository, hasn't been updated for around 1 year
If you look at the diablo turbo thread, you'll see that we're stuck with an old kernel because it's too much work (impossible maybe?) to integrate the n8x0 bits in the mainline kernel, in part because, as the second link says "Diablo (Maemo OS 2008) user space components use non-standard kernel interfaces and most likely the interfaces are not acceptable to mainline. To get Diablo running with latest mainline kernels, this needs to be solved somehow. (You should consider instead looking for more recent systems, such as MeeGo.)"
Mmmmh

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Any insight on where folks hit the wall?

I recall reading a thread discussing Meego dependencies on packages being compiled with support for video acceleration... But it also sounded like it'd be possible to create a Meego distro for older more limited hardware.

Any pointers to what the blockers are?
Too much work, very few folks. The same as mer.
The kernel bitrotting: no kernel other than the diablo one works decently, and trying to get a newer one to the same working level requires kernel expertise and a lot of work to port the nokia customizations.
The dammed wlan kernel binary driver, Kalle Valo made a free driver (stlc45xx) but stopped working on it soon after, it is unstable, unfinished, the binary userspace daemon (icd2) doesn't work with it, and it can't be built on the diablo kernel (I tried) so no way to play with it while having the tablet in working condition.
The OpenGL driver: we got a non-working driver, the people who could tried hard and got a semi-working driver, TI never answered to the last developers petition, so we are finally stuck. Nonetheless I think all this UI video acceleration just for eyecandy is stupid, and I'd ripped all fancy effects, but again, a lot of work with expertise on QT.
The damned userspace propietary binaries we can't redistribute. Some of them can be rewritten (see ASUI) but there is no people left who can do it, and others can't be rewritten or replaced safely (bme)
The community was small, the N900 destroyed it, and now it's tiny.
I don't have a roadmap per-say, but rolling diablo turbo into a CSSU update sounds like a natural first step. Is there a developer page for the Diablo CSSU documenting the process and how it was/is put together?
It is.
I'm not motivated enough to do it. I mean, I got DT to be easy enough to install or uninstall on top of CSSU having a very basic knowledge of the packaging system, and doing a CSSU would be more work just to accomplish the same, for the benefit of very few people.
Not that it would be hard to do, just some tedious packaging work, and it is the only logic way to distribute some of the packages (kernel, dbus, gconf2), but it would need the CSSU repository, that means Lucas.
There is no other documentation than the CSSU thread and some wiki entries that I know of. Anyway, It is really simple, the osso-software-version package pulls all other packages as versioned dependencies, and that's all.
Are you able to understand C and do some kernel hacking? I'd like to get some things done first and could use some help...
After that, I suppose it'd be about taking the things which folks are still interested in and providing them a place to put their work... so that we aren't all manually patching, compiling, configuring, and applying updates.
Such a place already exists, it is the extras-devel repository, garage and this forum, but did I say that the community is tiny and there are almost no developer types left?
Personally, my first item after diablo turbo would be to try to get an HTML5 compliant mobile browser compiled with support for flash via gnash. As long as the n8x0 has a decent browser, it will continue to be relevant to me.
Firefox. But they (mozilla) stopped building for the N8x0. I tried to do a build in scratchbox but to no avail, getting an environment to build that thing would be a lot of work.
Tear, but it is dead.
The next thing I would investigate would be the state of openjdk and icedtea-web (java web start)... to see if I could get decent support for running java web start applets from within a browser.
There is no redistributable/free java vm for the N8x0, and no current browser supports java.
Reality check: If it is possible to sort through the issues and get stuff to compile and install... I'll eventually be able to figure it out, document it, and package it up. But it isn't likely that I'll wade deeply into the code on any of these projects or their dependencies.

I'm also not the personality type with a long attention span and dedication to supporting projects over the long haul. For me, the motivation would be to find a framework I can work within which allows me to focus on the fixing problems relevant to me and contribute my sweat equity, so others don't have to go through the same pain.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo4, nokia n800, nokia n810