Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
SWIPE! It's perfect! It's like a metaphor for your money!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
To replace the N800? I didn't outright get anything, but I'm finding that my Samsung Galaxy Tab is filling all my requirements very nicely (especially after putting BASH on it). It's been surprisingly good, in fact, and satisfies a LOT of what I wanted, but it's still not entirely sufficiently what I'm looking for (I want proper keyboard support, HID, a real unmolested Linux kernel, etc.). I'm disappointed to see Nokia moving Maemo/MeeGo devices further and further away from being a more desktop-like experience, even while everyone else is converging slowly toward a more desktop-worthy one. Near as I can tell, I still haven't replaced my N800--just managing without it for now, since it's just too slow and unsupported to tolerate anymore and the N900 was just going in that wrong direction for me, too--I didn't want a phone, I wanted a pocket computer.
Pocket computer is dead, long live the tablet.
You could always go for a netbook/smartbook/whatever the hell Intel is calling it now

Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
Sensation, Galaxy, Optimus. Only men with small dicks buy phones with such names.
Only men who like to take it up the arse buy from Nokia after owning N96/N97/N900/etc

Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Android doesn't even have multitasking UI easily available right from the start. it does have previously opened apps that you can't modifyi or close apps from.
Didn't you... just... describe the new UI for MeeGo demoed in that video? Minus closing--which Android manages for you anyway to save battery life.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

As owner of a n770,n800 and (sadly) a n900 (the worst device of them all), i will take it as another Nokia joke to bring to the market *another* device with yet-another-revision-of-the-OS that, of course, will have a myriad of 1st-generation bugs.
But they're getting better at it.They already have told people,before buying the device, that the platform will be dumped,
I dont know if i'd interpret that as a polite gesture, or if they're trying to beat some world-record of cinism.
And, please, dont dream about "the platform will be continued, and bugs fixed".You already know the closed-source drivers tale, right?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to trashie For This Useful Post:
Didn't you... just... describe the new UI for MeeGo demoed in that video? Minus closing--which Android manages for you anyway to save battery life.
And you liked maemo

There seems to be some kind of cosmic relation between Maemo.org forums home grown linux nerds and big blogs like Engadget.
If one likes the another, other one has to hate it.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by PradaBrada View Post
Pocket computer is dead, long live the tablet.
You could always go for a netbook/smartbook/whatever the hell Intel is calling it now
Well, except that at least the 7-inch Galaxy Tab fits fine in all my pockets. Not a lot of other larger tablets can come EVERYWHERE with me like this tablet manages to do. It would have been GREAT if the N800 had been made into a similar 7-inch tablet with a real Linux OS and freedesktop.org desktop. Ugh.

Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
And you liked maemo
Up to OS2008, yes. Didn't you?

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Nope. You got the multitasking integrated to the UI and you can close the apps from the same window.

Up to OS2008, yes. Didn't you?
Ah I see, up to 2008.

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????