when any of you want to upgrade a computer. what do you choose? the processor or ram? the component that has the most impact is always the ram sure after a while and during raw processing the CPU will always the deciding factor but general everyday use the ram is the important factor.

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 729 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Athens, Greece
So er... I don't want it... but maybe may wife does... or well... my little brother hehe stupid kid... as you know this is not a tablet, exactly or...well it doesn't have H/w keyboard... so... my aunt told me she might want one... or maybe for my dog so he can have a fancy chew toy... hehehe... No! I am definitely not buying a N9 for me... cause... as you all know well I am a hardass hi-end Dev mofo! and I don't buy crap... so er... 2 for m...my wife and son then?! (well... I may you know... play with it a couple of times but just so to prove it sucks...)

Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
I agree. You can clearly see that it could benefit from a faster CPU. Especially in the Maps! It looks really choppy when rotating around with 3D buildings etc. More powerful CPU also means faster loading times. Even in my video, you can see that the loading of apps can't catch up quick enough and starts showing signs of "doing nothing for a few seconds" when you click on an App icon after a few apps.
Did this happen in Maps with a lot of apps running?

But your demo phone had a lower firmware version, right?

Probably one of the only UI things I don't like in the task manager is the way to close apps, it seems too much work for something that important. I'm sure they'll fix it somehow, though.

Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
For those interested in details, a comparison with Fremantle
http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/unsta...omparison.html
I did not see something striking with a quick look but I notice that mail client has changed from modest to a qt package. DPKG, WGET, BUSYBOX, APT ... is there. No terminal by default. I did not see a reference to libflashplayer...

Note though the reference to Beta for Harmattan.

QtMobility is indicated to be downgraded : the routine is probably not working 100% well !

The Following User Says Thank You to P@t For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Verythrax View Post
One thing that would be awesome is a touchstone-like wireless charger,
very efficient really. in an effort in europe to all cell phones to use usb charging to reduce the environmental footprint you came up with wireless charging. brilliant.
imo there's a lot more import things to improve besides that.

The Following User Says Thank You to __-_-_-__ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
It's been confirmed that the N9 UI is closed
Not just the UI, it turns out that proprietary is the "default approach" on all the bundled applications as well.

So you have an open Linux kernel, busybox, some libs etc but almost everything higher than that is closed and you can forget about patching bugs in the email client or whatever yourself. I'm really struggling to see how that is any better than WebOS for example.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
GSMArena has HDMI output and USB on-the-go listed on their specs sheet. What gives?

two further questions:

1) if i go to contacts and choose a person do i only have sms/email and call option or are other means of contact like skaype implemented there? if not it would mean that one would have to open the skype up every single time.

2) is there a way of dropping a contact into the app menu so that he'/she is clickable so that i directly can choose between sms/email/skype etc? otherwise it would mean that one would need to open the contacts app every time, even with people you have a frequent interaction with.

the n900 handles both nicely..

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by zlatokosi View Post
Did this happen in Maps with a lot of apps running?

But your demo phone had a lower firmware version, right?

Probably one of the only UI things I don't like in the task manager is the way to close apps, it seems too much work for something that important. I'm sure they'll fix it somehow, though.
No. While it hardly had any apps running. It just lacks in CPU power.
You can even see this in the official Nokia Hands on vid they put up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSZssHGR-Qg (see 1:35 into it)

Yeah, I also don't like how you can't close it from the app itself.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 155 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Dublin
That EPIC N9 thread seems like a total waste of time and energy now.

Sure it looks like a nice device.. just like the Sony Xperia Arc or any of the HTC's running Android..

I'm disappointed by the specs, features and limitations of the phone.

I guess Nokia decided "if we can't beat them, join them"

The N9 brings nothing new whatsoever

The Following User Says Thank You to Faustino For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????