Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by Diavoli View Post
Sorry maybe somebody already brought this up, but since Android Apps will be working on the N9 by the end of the year...

http://www.slashgear.com/nokia-n9-an...lvik-22160809/
please stop linking to this, it is misinformed garbage

Originally Posted by P@t View Post
I have no idea. The guy just mentioned that the N9 will then be available via third-party channels.
Then my guess is that it means much less subsidy and no effort from Nokia to promote the N9 through the main operators.
this thing about the n9 not being available in the US is not surprising. i dont think any n-series phones outside of the n8 have been offered as subsidized phones through the carriers. however it does support the same frequencies as the n900 so i am sure buying an unlocked device will be an option.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Last edited by cfh11; 2011-06-22 at 14:39.

Originally Posted by NokiaRocks View Post
90% of the Flat Screen TVs doesn't even have an USB port and the other 5% don't play .mkv properly.
And even when they play .mkv's properly they won't be running something as slick as XBMC, which has already been ported to Meego. Making the N9 double as a portable media center would probably be a nice sales demo (they could still develop some sort of docking to achieve that).

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by P@t View Post
I have no idea. The guy just mentioned that the N9 will then be available via third-party channels.
Then my guess is that it means much less subsidy and no effort from Nokia to promote the N9 through the main operators.
Well, mostly of the Nokia stuff around here come from the 3 main operators stores, anyway. If the "lack of availability" just mean that I'll still need to rely on them to get it, no big deal for me

Last edited by Verythrax; 2011-06-22 at 14:41.

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Originally Posted by lma
Not just the UI, it turns out that proprietary is the "default approach" on all the bundled applications as well.

So you have an open Linux kernel, busybox, some libs etc but almost everything higher than that is closed and you can forget about patching bugs in the email client or whatever yourself. I'm really struggling to see how that is any better than WebOS for example.
I know. I know. I think it will take awhile for people to get over the excitement of the product announcement and comprehend the implications of this.
one thing that is lost in this discussion is the ability to reflash the n9 with another OS (such as stock Meego). this would make the phone much more open, but you would likely lose the UI and any proprietary software. still, it is an option. i guess it is a question of priorities.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
I hope its available on amazon

Originally Posted by xRobby View Post
As much as you all hate the N9. If you want to keep MeeGo going, your going to have to buy it and act like it's the best phone you've ever had so other people buy it. Do this and at least Nokia will have something modern to fall back on if NokiaWP crashes and burns.
+ If that does happen, then bye bye Elop.
Sure, no problem. Lend me the money?

PS. I don't hate the N9, I actually kinda like it - BUT it's not the phone for me, and unless you lend(like Nokia with the N950) me the money, I'm not gonna buy it at an inflated price to prove a point that will go unnoticed anyways.

The Following User Says Thank You to zlatokosi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
no **** sherlock - water is wet ! 100 points for stating the obvious !

... yea, so why do we have support, praise or spend money on something we dont like again ?

We can dislike the N9 as much as we want - you know - the thing known as diversity of opinion and freedom of thought !

I think you wandered into the wrong forum - for positive comments only echo chamber, please head over to the Apple forums.

Uncle Jobs would LOVE to have you as his forum monitor !
You are not supposed to support, praise, or spend money on anything you don't like. But please be considerate of the number of people who do like it and would like to talk about it in an amiable and positive environment.

Of course people will voice their opinions if they are disappointed with a product, but some do take it a bit too far. No matter how much the device disappoints you, that doesn't automatically make it a bad product and Nokia full of fail.

It is slightly ironic, that this is probably the one place on the web, where the N9 is creating more negative than positive responses. As disappointing as it must be for many of you, it is still a close relative...

And besides, we all know that most of you will get over it in time, just like most of you got over it when Nokia had the audacity to add a hardware keyboard to the NIT, or (the sacrilege!) to actually make it a phone.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
one thing that is lost in this discussion is the ability to reflash the n9 with another OS (such as stock Meego). this would make the phone much more open, but you would likely lose the UI and any proprietary software. still, it is an option. i guess it is a question of priorities.
Most likely. At least you can flash your own kernel : http://twitter.com/vivainio/status/83487471903576064

Originally Posted by rash.m2k View Post
Guessing it'll have TV-Out.
The "TV Out" listed under extra features kinda makes you think so doesn't it
http://www.developer.nokia.com/Devic...ifications/N9/
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

Originally Posted by mece View Post
Most likely. At least you can flash your own kernel : http://twitter.com/vivainio/status/83487471903576064
There's hope:

http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/pool/...free/k/kernel/

Name:  kernel_hope.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  22.9 KB

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
Originally Posted by mece View Post
Indeed I understood from the last N900 CE meeting that the CE effort will be ported to N9 and N950 and with a dual-boot!?

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????