Active Topics

is it true? n9 still without dialing voice recognition?

how does the micro b browser (n900) compare to the n9 browser?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
Actually, N900 was released with pretty decent amount of marketing (big posters in train stations, bus stations etc) here in Australia mid-last year. (just after PR 1.2 release I think) Few of my friends bought it. So it was definitely a consumer device. Just not "popular" to most consumers.
Zero advertising in North or South America. None in Japan either. All three locations were frequented by me during my travels in the period that the N900 was released.

And by the constant cries in this forum, the N900 was not a consumer device, it was to be step 4 out of 5; thus not consumer friendly exactly (and it wasn't).

The push in parts of Europe and (now it seems) Australia were not uniform nor helpful in its bottom-line.

Oh well.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 190 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Brazil
To be fair, the N900 took 6 months to be released in Brazil.

But it got no marketing for that as well, anyway

From what i gathered from this thread, the N9 does not seems to have flash support, correct? At least at launch.

Well, i was browsing through some N9 videos and came across one that got me wondering:

Look at video "9- Nokia N9 – Browser + Add Bookmarks to Apps" on this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...qYGZIF9M#at=42

At 0:41, notice that green ad on the right for Qliq (i attached a screenshot of the frame in question), right above the "FA on Facebook" black bar. Seems innocent enough but it got me wondering because those ads are flash. I went to the fonearena link the video was testing and on that exact space on the website, there is a flash ad space. Go test it yourselves:

fonearena.com/blog

And compare to the video.

For all its worth, the browser might convert flash to a still shot, make some magic trick instead of placing a "no flash" bitmap where flash should appear, but what i see is a full web page with no empty space.

Any thoughts or theories?
Attached Images

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to manifesto42 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 190 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Brazil
maybe just on-the-fly replacement with images?

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Is this relevant for the arm SoC used by the n9 too?
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/23/g...inux-floating/

According to Engadget it's only for older arm architecture.
But I wouldn't take their word for anything, when it comes to truly technical stuff.
If it applies to n9 SoC too, then it's truly awesome news!

I mean binaries used by Nokia in N9 are prolly all already optimized right?
But everything else in Debian land apparently wasn't, at least for "older SoC's".

It's prolly not that awesome though...
Because it's not likely they'll keep optimizing binaries for all of Debian land every time there's new releases!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by shady View Post
actually, sony is EXCELLENT at pricing .. its that people have no concept of value in technology.
Remember when the PS3 first came out and the pricing around that? Remember when the PSP first came out and the pricing around that? Remember when they released the Vaio X series and the pricing around that?

Seriously... Sony pushes the upper limit of pricing in almost all scenarios.

Apple is notoriously bad, worse if in Europe.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 135 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Zero advertising in North or South America. None in Japan either. All three locations were frequented by me during my travels in the period that the N900 was released.

And by the constant cries in this forum, the N900 was not a consumer device, it was to be step 4 out of 5; thus not consumer friendly exactly (and it wasn't).

The push in parts of Europe and (now it seems) Australia were not uniform nor helpful in its bottom-line.

Oh well.

And the funny fact is that the advertising placed in swipe.nokia.com (the banner that loads up when you enter that page) is filmed here in Argentina :/

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
"What do you like this about this handset?" but none of the answers so far make me feel that this is an incredible device I must have over anything else out there.
* I like the N900, but its sometimes a bit massive to drag along just as a phone; N900 is a bit *too much a tablet* for my uses -- N9 doesn't have this issue
* It's a Nokia. If I get this I don't feel I risk much in terms of call quality, reception..
* I've got an E7. Its a nice phone, but I miss my grep, sed, awk..
* I don't like android. There's linux, but somehow dalvik is what you're supposed to deal with. Feels somehow.. perverse to me
* I like Debian a lot thank you!
* Iphone.. I don't like living behind bars, even if they are golden
* I like the looks of it, a lot
* N9 has a larger battery and a less power hungry chipset than the N900 - I'm hoping the batterly life is decent
* The UI looks simple enough to make a good phone, powerful enough to make a good smartphone
* The screen looks better than what I have on the N900 or E7

That said, I'm going to try before I buy.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RFS-81 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Here is one of the reasons Nokia, and Google and Apple, is trying to kill adobe flash and push HTML5 forward.

http://thehandheldblog.com/2011/06/2...os-html5-test/

btw. N9 winner in this test :-D N9 is using Qtwebkit browser, so I guess this also is valid for thirdparty QtWebkit browsers in N900 :-P

(if I remember correct Opera is using QtWebkit but not sure...

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????