Active Topics

can we port it to maemo?

THe main problem with this is that apps have to be rebuilt in order for it to work. So it's not exactly straight forward.

Now if someone ports the Dalvik VM to Meego that's another story. At that point we'd be able to download apps from amazon and use it on a Meego phone as if it were Android.

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ India
Wait a moment..
1. Nokia said the N900 will be getting official portrait mode via an on-the-air update. Well lets igonre that.
2. Nokia said all future high end phones will run Maemo and mid-range phones will run Symbian.
3. Many of us bought the N900, even though I dont regret (thanks to the community), Nokia suddenly announced change of plans and announced end of Maemo within 4-6months of the N900's release and announced Meego as the greatest thing in the world.
4. Nokia then discouraged active developers from developing for maemo. Hope everyone remembers Instinctiv.
5. N900 was declared officially dead by Nokia even before it completed its 1year of existence.
6. Stephen Elop becomes CEO of Nokia.
a.) Change of plans. Nokia decides to adopt Windows Phone as its primary high-end OS of choice.
b.) Announces Meego devices will also be developed parallel to Windows devices and Symbian will step down to mid-range.
c.) Announces Symbian is going to reach End Of Life, but then later realises their mistake (that all their new releases like the announced X7 & E6 runs Symbian) and corrects that they will continue to release Symbian Phones till 2016.
d.) Stephen Elop's Oh s*it moment for meego.
e.) Meego is dead, atleast for Nokia.
f.) Nokia announces that it will develop 1 Meego device this year and thats it. It will be called the N950.
7. Nokia announces N9 & N950. Both phones look sexy as hell. Just like the N900 was when it was announced.
a.) Elop blabbers that N9 will be the first and last meego device and N950 will be a developer exclusive device.
b.) Realises that people might wonder why are they buying an officially killed project and promises that Alien Dalvik will be available on the N9 shortly.
Well, Nokia N900 will be getting a fully portrait UI shortly. Nokia told this too.

Well, now let me say what I feel.
While the N9 designs is one of the sexiest phone designs I've seen to date, let me say that the hardware specs would have been dazzling an year ago. Hardware wise, it would have stood against the Samsung Galaxy S and the likes. Its the age of mobile dual core now and high end graphics and soon developers will start developing apps and games that can utilise the hardware. Here, whether alien dalvik or not, N9 will lag behind the competition.

As far as I understand, microsoft hates android maybe even more than iOS at the moment. If N9 actually supports android apps, it would affect Windows Phone sales. This would affect both Microsoft and Nokia if Windows Phone is their future

But until a Windows 7 device comes into production, Nokia needs to grab attention and sales. Here comes the N9 with yesterday's hardware, a spanking new awesome yet underrated OS (Its Nokia who failed to realise the potential in Meego. Hence they underrated it and put it below crappy Windows Phone.) And to add spice, the Alien Dalvik promise. I feel its just a marketing ploy. Anyone who has been avidly watching Nokia's recent activities wouldnt blame me.

Again, this is just my point of view. So if any of you feel I'm wrong, correct me please. Dont bash me.
I'm in favour of Meego though not in favour of Nokia anymore.
And I'm still using N900 as my primary phone. I dont own an adroid device or an iOS device. Have used both. Hate iOS. Android looks pretty but inefficient memory handling. I love my N900 though the Galaxy S2 is tempting.

So, Nokia, bring it out! I'll believe it when I see it. Till then bye!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to warhawk007 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by warhawk007 View Post
Here comes the N9 with yesterday's hardware, a spanking new awesome yet underrated OS (Its Nokia who failed to realise the potential in Meego.
MeeGo has NO potential. That is a fact, or at least it is made a fact by Nokia (for the moment at least). But at least listen to what Elop actually say: The N9 UI with Qt will be used on another platform, and it will be HUGE, the "next billion". That is the future. In all honesty, there really is nothing about the N9 UI that couldn't be done with any other core OS. Remember also the N9 is not running MeeGo core, it is running Maemo (whatever the difference may be).

The N9, confirmed to come in my local store in September has two cool features. The Design (materials and look) and the UI (Qt + ingenious simplicity and power). MeeGo is not even there.

Last edited by ericsson; 2011-06-23 at 19:06.

Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
, it is running Maemo (whatever the difference may be).

The N9, confirmed to come in my local store in September has two cool features. The Design (materials and look) and the UI (Qt + ingenious simplicity and power). MeeGo is not even there.
Who told you that it is running meamo? It is running meego/harmatten which is not maemo as otherwise all N900 users could run meego apps without having to install the meego o/s?

We have been told numerous times any app running on full blown meego should run on meego/hamatten o/s with little work required by the developers.

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Brighton
Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
Who told you that it is running meamo? It is running meego/harmatten which is not maemo as otherwise all N900 users could run meego apps without having to install the meego o/s?
Actually (AFAIK) Harmattan is just Maemo with MeeGo APIs. They didn't trash the whole OS and start again with MeeGo.

MeeGo has NO potential. That is a fact, or at least it is made a fact by Nokia (for the moment at least).
MeeGo is not Nokias.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Wait a moment..
1. Nokia said the N900 will be getting official portrait mode via an on-the-air update.
...for the web browser. And it happened.

Other than that, Nokia has consistantly stated that Maemo has always been a landscape OS for landscape devices, the N900 being another one of those. Portrait support, we were told, would come in Harmattan.

It was bloggers who took Nokia's web browser portrait mode announcement and decided it must be a sign that Nokia had reconsidered. S60 phones support portrait mode, why not Maemo? And the false assumption echoed through the blogosphere until far too many people took it as true.

Nokia has abandoned many of their plans in the past five months, but universal portrait mode for Maemo 5 wasn't ever a promise they made.

...Nokia suddenly announced change of plans and announced end of Maemo within 4-6months of the N900's release and announced Meego as the greatest thing in the world.
And before Nokia released the N900, they had already announced Maemo 6/Harmattan was coming, dropping GTK+ for Qt, targetting multi-touch capacitive screens instead of resistive, replacing the entire look-and-feel, and leaving the N900 behind. There was disappointment, but no shock there; Nokia had already quickly abandoned every previous Maemo device as the OS evolved.

So, the surprises were:
  • Nokia calls the OS that leaves the N900 behind MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan instead of Maemo 6 (Harmattan).
  • The Harmattan device didn't arrive to bury the N900 as quickly as predicted.
  • MeeGo, via the Community Edition, gives the N900 a better chance of keeping up with new kernels and other upstream changes than it ever had with Maemo 6.

4. Nokia then discouraged active developers from developing for maemo. Hope everyone remembers Instinctiv.
I do. As I recall, the full story was the company contacted Nokia asking how to get the best return on their development efforts given they were small, with few developers. Nokia recommended targetting Symbian as that's a larger market with a higher percentage of customers paying for apps.

As much as I'd like to see more development for Maemo, I can't fault that logic.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
not coming unless Nokia say so, end of story.
end users can't just download and install and magic android apps run.
it as to be implemented by the vendor

Ag-a-doo-doo-doo, push pineapple, shake the tree
Aga-doo-doo-doo, push pineapple, grind coffee
To the left, to the right, jump up and down and to the knees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POv-3yIPSWc

Its the age of mobile dual core now and high end graphics and soon developers will start developing apps and games that can utilise the hardware.
Good luck finding a battery large enough to support your fully utilized multicore cpus and high end gpus. For some reason most of them seem to struggle already in getting through a day of simple web browsing.

The Following User Says Thank You to RFS-81 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
MeeGo has NO potential. That is a fact
It seems that we have differing views on the definition of fact.

When I was at WWDC I ran into a guy from Intel who has intricate knowledge of their Meego plans. He wouldn't tell me much; however, when I expressed my concern at Nokia's announcement, he assured me that it actually affected them in quite the opposite manner. They have been continuing to staff up and will continue to pour into Meego. I do not know if this means handsets coming from Intel (or other partners), but I, for one, am looking forward to it either way.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twoboxen For This Useful Post:

Tags
damned lies, dukenukem4eva, flying pigs, n9 = ugly, vapourware