Originally Posted by Mobilesynthesist View Post
Are factories already grinding N9s or would there be any hope left of getting either N8s camera or better processor(or both).
Yes i'm sure they will swap out the SOC and camera at this point.

Camera is looking good, but maybe not as good as i hoped coming from Nokia. Still the software has many times improved the pictures a lot in the past from proto stage to updates after the phone was out.
Same was with the N900.

Last edited by tissot; 2011-06-28 at 18:04.

Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Yes i'm sure they will swap out the SOC and camera at this point.

Camera is looking good, but maybe not as good as i hoped coming from Nokia. Still the software has many times improved the pictures a lot in the past from proto stage to updates after the phone was out.
Same was with the N900.
Yes, I'm not holding my breath for it, but there have been products that have improved their hardware until the last minute. I'm sure, that if this would truly have been a platform for future disruptions, it would have had a modern processor.

It could still be some what affordable, but I'm guessing it will, in addition to unimpressive hardware, be priced high enough to keep it from getting very popular.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by zymo View Post
BTW: there are some rumors saying that n9 indeed has MHL, but not supported in prototypes.
W00t!
Maybe folks will stop *****ing about me asking questions (usually in response to others asking the same thing) about it in the meego forum now
Source?

I hope you're not simply going by this guys comment
http://forum.meego.com/showpost.php?...&postcount=327

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-06-28 at 18:18.

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by zymo View Post
BTW: there are some rumors saying that n9 indeed has MHL, but not supported in prototypes.
Interesting. Got a link please?

Slashgear states that MHL is not supported, but hey, they've been wrong before.

Last edited by shallimus; 2011-06-28 at 18:18.

The Following User Says Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
Interesting. Got a link please?

Slashgear states that MHL is not supported, but hey, they've been wrong before.

What's Qns?
If you download the game and save elop you Will get the source as well as the full specs of the n9

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 283 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
W00t!
Maybe folks will stop *****ing about me asking questions (usually in response to others asking the same thing) about it in the meego forum now
Source?

I hope you're not simply going by this guys comment
http://forum.meego.com/showpost.php?...&postcount=327

two sites from austria after hands-on:

first is http://futurezone.at/produkte/3715-a...traeger-n9.php

"Der MicroSIM-Kartenslot befindet sich, genau wie der MicroUSB-Anschluss (im Vorserienmodell noch kein MHL-Anschluss), an der Oberseite.“

english : ...( in this prototype MHL hasn’t been supported yet)

second is http://www.meegolounge.com/lounge/?p=738

"Ungeklärt ist noch das Gerücht von MHL. Damit wird – mit einem passenden Kabel – via Micro-USB ein HDMI-Ausgang ermöglicht.“

english: unresolved is still the rumor about mhl.

it’s not much, so don't put your hopes too high on it!

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Yeah alas that proves nothing unfortunately

It's funny how some folk not even intimately assoc/w vid-out for N9, already seem to know the answer full-stop, & are telling people to shut up.
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=3598&page=33

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-06-28 at 19:28.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Yeah alas that proves nothing unfortunately
Indeed, rumours begat rumours and then that's "fact". Look back at the N9 thread about how the N9 would have miraculous new graphene based technology to render physical keyboards obsolete, definitely come with a dual-core processor and retina display, ...

It's funny how some folk not even intimately assoc/w vid-out for N9, already seem to know the answer full-stop, & are telling people to shut up.
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=3598&page=33
No, we're asking you to calm down and wait for a definitive answer, and - shock - we're everywhere.

Let's look at MHL rationally, using Wikipedia. Some choice quotes:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Uses a single, thin cable to connect the mobile device to the HDTV.
Check. Certainly a 3.5mm headphone jack would meet those requirements.

MHL is connection agnostic (i.e., not tied to a specific type of hardware connector). The first implementations dual-purpose the most popular mobile connection (micro USB) and the most popular HDTV connection (HDMI). Other than the connectors being used, no USB nor HDMI technology is being used. It is exclusively MHL signalling through the connectors and over the cable. Other proprietary and custom connections are also allowed.
OK, agnostic. But only micro-USB & HDMI connectors used to date. Hmm, doesn't bode well.

The MHL 1.0 Specification was announced on June 30, 2010
That's quite late given what we know of the N9's development.

The MHL Consortium was announced by the companies of the Mobile High-definition Working Group on April 14, 2010. Nokia, Samsung, Silicon Image, Sony and Toshiba had been working on a specification since the Working Group announcement
Nokia: yay! But no actual products or prototypes or statements from Nokia (according to Google) that they're actively working on the technology.

Originally Posted by Nokia
[The N9 has] TV-out
Uh-oh. Exactly as they referred to the N900's TV out.

Let's also think about the circuitry then. Assuming MHL requires 5 pins (4 USB data + ground of a MicroUSB socket), the 3.5mm socket would need to be longer to also maintain compatibility with headsets and headphones. The switching circuitry would be complicated and the socket physically bigger. In a device where size has been optimised as much as possible.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Great post. Doesn't preclude MHL. As you say, it's "wait-and-see". I'll be getting an N9 anyway cos I don't care that much about HDMI-out, although it would be a definite plus, and would also increase the amount of money I'd consider a reasonable max for the device.

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 238 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Dunno whether this was posted already, but few additional bits of information from Konttori:

http://konttoristhoughts.blogspot.co...73851680035486

(Couldn't really say from blog's time-stamp how old this was...)

Last edited by JiiHoo; 2011-06-28 at 21:24.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JiiHoo For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????