Active Topics

I just had the nokia N900 for abt 2 months, and suddenly the screen would become un-responsive and clicking on it will move it between the desktops. Also the cross sign appear on all the shortcuts and widgets, screen becomes tottally useless as it keeps dragging one icon from one desktop to other when trying to do anything. It will automatically go on the Set-up mode (crosses on all the icons on the desktop)Please help!!!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
The mode you're describing is the desktop modify mode. It lets you customize your desktop(s) the way you want them. It's activated by a long press on the screen. To deactivate, click Done in the upper right corner.

and, if clicking "Done" doesn't work, press Ctrl + Backspace on the keyboard to get out of it

Mine started doing this recently. Only sometimes and I have no idea how to trace why! Only a minor annoyance though

Same thing happened to me today morning. There was no response at all. Was not able to press Done. Switched it off and on a few times, no luck. Went to the service center. They said that the touch screen IC is gone and they will have to replace it :-(

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by mkhetan View Post
Same thing happened to me today morning. There was no response at all. Was not able to press Done. Switched it off and on a few times, no luck. Went to the service center. They said that the touch screen IC is gone and they will have to replace it :-(
You could try press ctrl+shift+x to launch the terminal. Then go into root and write "pkill hildon-home" and "pkill hildon-desktop". Not sure if it could work.

The Following User Says Thank You to AlMehdi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Philippines
Guys... simply switch off your phone and switch on again.. just like re-starting your PC... Hope this will help you...

Posts: 2,021 | Thanked: 1,060 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Hong Kong
Dont use any portrait mode all time

Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
You could try press ctrl+shift+x to launch the terminal. Then go into root and write "pkill hildon-home" and "pkill hildon-desktop". Not sure if it could work.
Wish I new this before i gave it for repairing. at least i would have removed some files and would have saved backup files somewhere! think service folks are going to remove everything.

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Bristol UK
Sorry for pulling up such an old thread but i have had this problem for a week and was pulling my hair out.

After having fixed it very easily thought it was worth putting on here incase anyone else gets this problem. For a week i searched the web for answers and kept getting this page come up in TMO.

it may seem incredibly obvious but if you have (like i and most do) an adhesive protective screen, simply take it off. Straightaway my problem stopped. Put my protective screen back on and problem is still gone.

Very simple solution but had me very annoyes for days lol