Notices

Hi guys....

I accidently remove rootsh and unable to install it conflict with sudser...when i open x term and type sudo gainroot i got this output :

Code:
~ $ sudo gainroot
Enable RD mode if you want to break your device
i'm so nervous now.....what should i do??

CasTTeLLo

Posts: 141 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Ahmedabad, India
Did you try installing rootsh from Application Manager ?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dtparikh For This Useful Post:
yes but it cant find the package....

maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/rootsh/

CasTTeLLo

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
There's nothing to be nervous about. No PROPER script or application should use sudo gainroot directly in scripts or whatever, so IDEALLY, nothing should break beyond your ability to do things as root.

If you have sudser installed and it works as advertized, you should be able to do the same things as rootsh does, just with different commands. Honestly though, I'd just uninstall sudser, then install rootsh. And if you really want, you can always install sudser back on afterwords. You DID manage to somehow install both - unless you installed sudser after uninstalling rootsh.

If you remove sudser, update your catalogues / "check for updates", and then still can't install rootsh, you can download it from the Maemo package interface (maemo.org/packages), put it onto your N900's USB storage or microSD card, and then click on it in the file manager, which will install it with HAM.

which version should i download??? any chance to do it with xterm???

CasTTeLLo

i've copy rootsh to mmc then open it with app manager when app manager popup i get an error unable to install rootsh...application package not found?? how to remove sudser btw??

CasTTeLLo

Last edited by CasTTeLLo; 2011-06-29 at 05:20.

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ /dev/null
Originally Posted by CasTTeLLo View Post
i've copy rootsh to mmc then open it with app manager when app manager popup i get an error unable to install rootsh...application package not found?? how to remove sudser btw??
Hi ya there!

Let me help you the best I can.

I'm using this package for rootsh./ If you for some odd reason can't install it via HAM I suggest trying to log in as the root user and installing it via x-term.

Sadly, You can only login as root if you changed the root-password, (if you have openssh installed you have changed it) so unless you have'nt changed the password for root You'll have to go with HAM.

And remember to give it a few moments. HAM can be slower than a koala.

If you keep encountering errors while trying to install with HAM, please post the contents of your error log and I'll have a looksee at it.

Best of luck.

Originally Posted by Remus View Post
Hi ya there!

Let me help you the best I can.

I'm using this package for rootsh./ If you for some odd reason can't install it via HAM I suggest trying to log in as the root user and installing it via x-term.

Sadly, You can only login as root if you changed the root-password, (if you have openssh installed you have changed it) so unless you have'nt changed the password for root You'll have to go with HAM.

And remember to give it a few moments. HAM can be slower than a koala.

If you keep encountering errors while trying to install with HAM, please post the contents of your error log and I'll have a looksee at it.

Best of luck.
thanks mate....can u guide me with simple step....i did change the root-passw...so how i'm going to use it via xterm....??

CasTTeLLo

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ /dev/null
Originally Posted by CasTTeLLo View Post
thanks mate....can u guide me with simple step....i did change the root-passw...so how i'm going to use it via xterm....??
Alright! I'm going to assume you know the basics of how to use the terminal.

Open up x-term and use the command "su".

It should prompt for the root-password. Enter the password and you'll (hopefully) be root.

Cd to where you saved your rootsh-package and type;

dpkg -i rootsh_1.5_armel.deb

And voila, that should install rootsh on your device.

[EDIT]

Come to think off it, as long as you are root you can just use apt for installing rootsh. Assuming you have extras in your repos, that is.

If you encounter any errors with the .deb instead issue the following command;

apt-get install rootsh

Last edited by Remus; 2011-06-29 at 06:00.

i've a meeting now...i'll try it later.....tq so much mate...

CasTTeLLo