Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Looks quite interesting. So do you basically type with your right thumb? Seems odd if so but perhaps you get used to it and can type quickly.
Well, I still get to use my stylus for a few more weeks , but I'll end up using my right index finger with Harmattan devices. I'm refactoring some code for lefties and two-handed-thumb users. Here's a quick first stab:

Name:  Screenshot-20110703-213558.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  22.4 KB

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 194 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Sydney, Australia
looks like a great approach to a touchscreen keyboard, great to see someone taking advantage of the interface. will be interested to see its usability compared to a standard qwerty, but well done.

Originally Posted by Kozzi View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-eJ_gzlXgE#t=18m45s
here with portrait and landscape qwerty.
Hm, in landscape mode the keyboard only leaves 6 lines for the terminal. Curses apps (vi, mutt, or even plain old top) certainly won't be much fun with that. For the rest, I guess one of the first things people are going to be adding to that button bar will be "| less" ;-)

Portrait mode might actually have been usable with a stylus (those keys look about the same size as the ones on maemo's stylus keyboard, and I definitely can't finger-type accurately on that).

Originally Posted by lma View Post
Hm, in landscape mode the keyboard only leaves 6 lines for the terminal. Curses apps (vi, mutt, or even plain old top) certainly won't be much fun with that. For the rest, I guess one of the first things people are going to be adding to that button bar will be "| less" ;-)

Portrait mode might actually have been usable with a stylus (those keys look about the same size as the ones on maemo's stylus keyboard, and I definitely can't finger-type accurately on that).
Yes, the terminal is a bit narrow in landscape, which is one reason why I always use it in portrait mode. Another reason is, that I don't have any trouble with the VKB in portrait mode.

Don't compare it to the Maemo keyboard, it's an entirely different feeling. It is surprisingly easy to hit the right keys, it seems like it registers the position of a finger much more reliably than the resistive screen does (so where a resistive screen will send contact events all over, the capacitive screen will activate the closest button at the center of your touch). I may not have the hugest fingers, but I'm talking thumbs here.

And even if you have trouble hitting the right keys reliably for some reason, you can always plunge down your finger, and move it around until the right letter appears in the magnifier (which is also eased by the excellent haptic feedback on the N9). It's slower of course, but always gets the job done.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Does anyone know how good Nokia's SU-39 capacitive/resistive stylus is? It's suppose to be compatible with all of Nokia's latest capacitive screen offerings. It's less than $10 US through an Amazon store.

Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
And even if you have trouble hitting the right keys reliably for some reason, you can always plunge down your finger, and move it around until the right letter appears in the magnifier (which is also eased by the excellent haptic feedback on the N9). It's slower of course, but always gets the job done.
I really want to see this feature demoed, screenshot please ? or link to any video which has is demoed.

Originally Posted by Kozzi View Post
I really want to see this feature demoed, screenshot please ? or link to any video which has is demoed.
I'm not keeping track of all the videos, so I'm not sure if it is demoed somewhere (I'm sure somebody will be able to help out), but it works essentially the same way as the iPhone keyboard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNgGudVXgzI (at 0:30 the "tap and slide" is demoed). The other features are pretty similar as well, only that the predictive word replacing is not automatic by default (instead you either tap the bubble with the suggested word, or click on a misspelled word to get a list of suggestions). You can make it automatic as well though, in which case space will insert the predicted word.

While searching for this demonstration I also found out about this trick, which works as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOr4B7B5A8Y

So yeah, it's very close to the iPhone keyboard, with nice haptic feedback, great responsiveness, and some additional tricks (like swiping to change input language/method).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Just read an interview with the nokia product manager for austria&israel. The interviewer asks if the n9 is DOA, he says it is definitely not. There will be regular software updates and they're working on bringing as many qt apps as possible from symbian to meego. He cannot tell yet if there will be more meego products in the future though.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 283 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zymo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 312 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ P.A.
Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
Just read an interview with the nokia product manager for austria&israel. The interviewer asks if the n9 is DOA, he says it is definitely not. There will be regular software updates and they're working on bringing as many qt apps as possible from symbian to meego. He cannot tell yet if there will be more meego products in the future though.
Link please ?

The Following User Says Thank You to scapegoat845 For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????