Poll: Which name for Symbian^3 port for N900 is the best?
Poll Options
Which name for Symbian^3 port for N900 is the best?

Maenna (maemo & anna)

Posts: 151 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ sofia, bulgaria
Why porting something that is already considered obsolete and unsupported. You will waste lots of efforts and nerves to receive something that won't be adopted widely. Even if you receive good build of symbian that is stable enough to replace MeeGo. What about Nokia maps? What about OVI support? What about crippled browser?

Better join MeeGo team. I'm sure they will be happy to have some more skillful developers, with knowledges in hardware/drivers staff.

Even maemo community will be happy with more developers working on current system problems.

What about nitdroid? Telephony there is still not working.

Anyway it is up to you to decide as you have to passioned about the project.

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
I suggest: Symbioses, a nice name.

Though I have to say that I'm not really confident in the feasibility of full port.

Maybe it could be easier to have an application compatibility layer (as Wine) to, at least, support Qt applications for Symbian 3. That would be much more useful and doable.
1. Symbioses doesnt have anything this N900 Maemo NIT etc
2. This would give us full ovi maps and SIM app toolkit if done

Posts: 723 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Kuching:Malaysia
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Sorry I can't afford buying a new device, as I've bought an N900 this year..
But I'll be searching around my friends
ahaa...this is where your got the first strikes (two more left)...you need to own a symbian^3 phone to understand the behavior of this system...
if you wanna know 98% of all apps on symbian is not free & 100% of them need a certificates if you want to install it...only a hacked/modded symbian system can install apps without having a certificates but still those apps need to be cracked first...
how to hacked/modded symbian??? well you need to own one symbian phone first....you need to test your hacked/modded symbian before you can try to port it on our beloved N900...
why you need to test hacked/modded symbian??? you needed because hacked/modded symbian is much better than the unhacked/modded symbian...try porting the unhacked/modded symbian to N900 will be a disaster for you....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pusak gaoq For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
1. Symbioses doesnt have anything this N900 Maemo NIT etc
2. This would give us full ovi maps and SIM app toolkit if done
Have you looked at the Beagle Board port I linked to? The Beagle Board has the same CPU as the N900. They managed to make it run, and also managed to connect with 3g I think.

Seriously, you haven't told us anything about yourself. What experience do you have with anything similar?

OR... maeSIT

Anyhoo, good luck with your project.

Posts: 310 | Thanked: 202 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Ireland
I have to say I much prefer the idea of being able to run programs for symbiarse 3 than a full port. After owning an n8 and messing around with an e7, both of which were just horrible, I fail to see the point. I do like the idea of symbian Ovi maps though. Most of the programs have been hacked anyway if you know where to look. Symbian dalvik?

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 116 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by patlak View Post
How about SIT, Symbian Internet Tablet
Or maybe Symbian Hack for Internet Tablets

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Soppa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
Originally Posted by Soppa View Post
Or maybe

Features Ultra Long Loadtimes and Outdated FOSS - Symbian Hack for Internet Tablets

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to casper27 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Soppa View Post
that's the best S.H.I.T.

Tags
monsterfail