Active Topics

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
The iPhone is saturated. The 3gs is still selling, and the 4 has a long way before reaching the numbers of the 3gs. The 5 will only push down prices of the 3gs and the 4, and that may be bad enough (for Nokia), but it does nothing wrt early adopters. There is nothing new and fresh about the iPhone anymore, and the 5 is only yet another re-iteration of the old.
Problem (from my perspective anyway) is that even though I work in a highly technical environment, probably half of the developers here have iPhones, and many of them will just get the 5 when it's available.

A straw poll of a few colleagues gives reasons for continuing with the iPhone such as:
  • I'm too invested in my app store/iTunes experience to change now
  • App store has apps
  • It's an iPhone! (said tongue in cheek, but she's still gonna get the 5)

Obviously I don't consider any of these to be good reasons, but they do, and they won't be buying an N9 even after conceding that in many ways it is objectively more desirable than the 4 (and maybe even the 5).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
Better internal specs certainly wouldn't hurt. As a high-end smartphone the N9 does not offer enough power, for a mid-range product its probably too expensive. Still hope its gonna be relatively cheap (not iphone/sg2 level).

By the way have you seen at what prices wp7 handsets are being sold? Nokia's profits will collapse if they have to offer wp7 phones with similar hardware at similar prices.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
Better internal specs certainly wouldn't hurt. As a high-end smartphone the N9 does not offer enough power, for a mid-range product its probably too expensive. Still hope its gonna be relatively cheap (not iphone/sg2 level).
...but that'd make it more expensive. Not saying you're wrong, but what is the power needed for (other than impressing people for whom spec is everything)?

Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
By the way have you seen at what prices wp7 handsets are being sold? Nokia's profits will collapse if they have to offer wp7 phones with similar hardware at similar prices.
I wouldn't carry a WP7 phone (Nokia or not) if you paid me. Agree that it will take low prices to tempt most people over to a Microsoft phone, cos they sure ain't cool.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
the amount of apps on droid and iphone will always kick our ***. It doesn't help nokia sell their phones either because everyone wants these cool apps. Most people don't think about the stability/features of the phone itself. I'm the only techy person in my group of friends who even knows how to root a phone, when I show them my n900's stability all they see is their phones apps.

Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
I wouldn't carry a WP7 phone (Nokia or not) if you paid me. Agree that it will take low prices to tempt most people over to a Microsoft phone, cos they sure ain't cool.
I'm with you with that, but I also see that they have lot of potential for extra value by integrating with their other products such as Xbox live and Windows stuff. That will probably attract some people, and they may have a good chance selling services and games to those people.

Also I have no idea how good WP7 is, but since my only other MS product is old XP on dualboot and they probably won't even support syncing with Linux, I just can't fit myself in their target group even with a crowbar and a tube of lube.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PortaDiFerro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by PortaDiFerro View Post
I'm with you with that, but I also see that they have lot of potential for extra value by integrating with their other products such as Xbox live and Windows stuff. That will probably attract some people, and they may have a good chance selling services and games to those people.

Also I have no idea how good WP7 is, but since my only other MS product is old XP on dualboot and they probably won't even support syncing with Linux, I just can't fit myself in their target group even with a crowbar and a tube of lube.
I agree i think most people who love the n900 would not fit into their target group. We don't get suckered in because we are more technologically knowledgeable than the majority. If everyone was like us the phone market would be nothing like it is now.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Problem (from my perspective anyway) is that even though I work in a highly technical environment, probably half of the developers here have iPhones, and many of them will just get the 5 when it's available.

A straw poll of a few colleagues gives reasons for continuing with the iPhone such as:
  • App store has apps

Obviously I don't consider any of these to be good reasons, but they do, and they won't be buying an N9 even after conceding that in many ways it is objectively more desirable than the 4 (and maybe even the 5).
I got the impression that in Europe Android, Symbian and plain old dumb phones are preferred in more technical environments, while the iPhone is the choice for journalists and lawyers and that kind of things. iPad on the other hand is popular among tech people for some odd reason I have yet to figure out. I know more people with iPads than people with iPhones when thinking about it.

...but that'd make it more expensive. Not saying you're wrong, but what is the power needed for (other than impressing people for whom spec is everything)?
Dual core and better graphics certainly would not hurt for some applications. But its ok as long as they don't try to make is as expensive as an iPhone. I'll buy it anyway, but for other people that is an issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD

• App store has apps

I think you make some good points. There is a lot of inertia to change and I don't think NOKIA has done a good job in staying in the game even if they make a superior product in many respects. I also work in a technical environment. Most "technical" people, that I know, including those that are very knowlegeable about linux have iphones. Many in management have BBs. Some of those linux people are getting a little tired of iphone but it is likely they will next go for android if they do decide to change. WP phones are nonexistent and nokia is invisible. I'm wondering if a better strategy for NOKIA would have been to,ok, swap symbian with windows and, I hate to say it, swap maemo/meego with android. From what I have read lately, interest in BB is begining to fall a little out of favor so, for the former, they would have to strongly link it to buisness of office applications, maybe xbox and other games so they have something to do at meetings... For the latter they could at least lay claim to having all the android apps (inferior or redundant as the may be by your view) and superior hardware. Ideally, for the android version make the bootloader unlocked so you could load maemo/meego or what ever flavor linux you want. Then the devlopers would be happy too as well as I!

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by PortaDiFerro View Post

Here's what I don't personally get. I totally understand the unwillingness to embrace technology that you determine is inferior or doesn't suit your needs; however to do that without any usage and/or prior knowledge other than hearsay is rather odd. If you're going to be skeptical, then back it up with research.

I don't quite get it because if somebody says something against your platform of choice, people have a very quick tendency to state "You didn't do your research!" first.

I'm not saying go out, buy everything out there. But at least be able to knowledgeable discuss why you don't like things and why you hadn't looked at it. Otherwise, if you get pushed aside because your rhetoric is easily found repeated ad nauseum at slashdot.org, then folks will dismiss your contribution as a reviewer they'd pay attention to as well. Fanboys, early adopters and FOSS loyalists (not the ones that freely download never contribute, they don't matter mostly anyway) make up a very small buying metric out there.

We're enthusiasts. We'll buy a phone because it has a Linux kernel on it. Not that it means it's better. Or that it's great. But because of that one fact sometimes. And we're a percentage of a percentage, small change.

Ask Nokia.

Do your research. It doesn't hurt.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????