Active Topics

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
What we've been told is that the contract between Nemein and Nokia (for the parts of maemo.org other than the forum) has been paid for through June 2012 and Nemein will maintain the website according to the direct instructions of Council (ignoring Nokia). So there was a "handover", but the community doesn't "own" the domain name or website as property and, in fact, can't (because the "community" itself doesn't exist as a legal entity). I have no idea of the contract with Reggie on the forum.
I obviously can't talk about contract details, but our aim is that the community can do a graceful transition in late 2012, if it wishes to do so. And if that happens, we'll do our best to help. All software running maemo.org is open source anyway

Reggie also works with us, so in this TMO and the rest of the maemo.org infrastructure are handled similarly (even though they are hosted with separate arrangements).

Domains and trademarks are a question that probably the Council could take up with Nokia.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by lma View Post
On the subject of donations, how about bitcoin? We could even have an app that computes coins when the device is idle & plugged in to a charger.
Totally unrelated to the conversation, but I'd love to have a BitCoin "wallet" with some nice device-to-device connectivity on both N900 and the Harmattan devices.

The Following User Says Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
All software running maemo.org is open source anyway
Well, most of it perhaps. Vbulletin for one isn't, and on a meta level the autobuilder needs to pull closed dependencies from somewhere so if the *.nokia.com repositories go away and we don't have a licence to mirror them we're SOL.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bergie
I obviously can't talk about contract details
Sorry if this is dumb question, but - may I ask - why? Contract that is essentially between Nokia and one to-be Open Source Community (via council), must be held top-secret?

Not that it's very important so much - the part that matter (about "graceful transition") was revealed, anyway. I'm just asking out of curiosity - I think more things are open/public knowledge, the better.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
I obviously can't talk about contract details
...with the community it's supposed to be hosting? Just.. wow. I've learned over time how typical this is from Nokia. Thanks a lot.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Slightly paranoid scenario:

if the answer to extras hosting turns out to be to use the meego.com community OBS (which is already planning to support Fremantle and therefore must have licence to host its closed bits) that would leave all previous releases[1] unsupported.

Would it be ok, licence-wise, to set up an autobuilder on a separate server with a local (not redistributed) copy of closed packages required as build dependencies for various things?

If the answer to that is yes, could we have some info on (vm, disk etc) sizing requirements as well as network traffic expectations?

[1] Realistically that could mean Diablo. The rest don't seem to have had anything new in years, so we could possibly get away with a static mirror of the current repositories if there are no resources for anything more.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Also. Do you think it would be viable to setup a Diablo OBS? How hard was the Fremantle one?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
...with the community it's supposed to be hosting? Just.. wow. I've learned over time how typical this is from Nokia. Thanks a lot.
This is where I start talking about Kafka. There might be something in The Trial about how to obey contracts when it's obvious you can't know what they agree to... Maybe we can ask the landlady when she brings tea.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
On the other hand, where do you draw the line between order and chaos?

Does anyone who bother to create an account on maemo.org can already be considered a part of 'the community', that they can get vocal about their 'community rights' and entitlements?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Also. Do you think it would be viable to setup a Diablo OBS? How hard was the Fremantle one?
I think asking the LF to host that one would be stretching things a bit too far. If it's going to be hosted elsewhere, extras-cauldron is at least a known quantity.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:

Tags
goodbye nokia, maemo.org, troll party, winding down