Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
omg, are you guys confirming that vkb on capacitive screen is actually.... usable?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by abbra View Post
I guess it is a different hardware revision with higher clock speed. After all, OMAP3640 is done with totally different technological process (45nm) than OMAP3440 (65nm).
so they are clocking it higher either way. but heat is produced its less.

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
I still find the usage of the hardware keyboard more comfortable and easier - I often miss with a virtual keyboard.
Maybe it was easier for me since I haven't owned a hw kbd device before. So both input styles were equally alien to me. I improved rapidly with accuracy. One handed writing still gives me some trouble, but improving with that too. Carrying baby and using the phone at the same time is good practice .

Oh about negatives, I'd be hard pressed to find any. The only one I can think of is lack of camera button. It is just a little bit faster to have camera ready to shoot with physical button instead of swiping. But this is minor, swiping gets you there plenty fast also.

Sent with N950, as they say in iPhone land.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
I can confirm. usually sliding out the keyboard needs more effort than struggling with osk.
Does that mean the virtual keyboard is very good, or the sliding mechanism very bad?

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 79 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ holland
Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
Maybe it was easier for me since I haven't owned a hw kbd device before. So both input styles were equally alien to me. I improved rapidly with accuracy. One handed writing still gives me some trouble, but improving with that too. Carrying baby and using the phone at the same time is good practice .

Oh about negatives, I'd be hard pressed to find any. The only one I can think of is lack of camera button. It is just a little bit faster to have camera ready to shoot with physical button instead of swiping. But this is minor, swiping gets you there plenty fast also.

Sent with N950, as they say in iPhone land.
would you please show us some picture,,,can you do video call with skype ...?is there any way to get/port whatsapp on it .... ?
thanX and enjoy your devkit

Posts: 565 | Thanked: 618 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Does that mean the virtual keyboard is very good, or the sliding mechanism very bad?
The VKB is maybe little bit more usable than N900's, but not good. The sliding mechanism is good at least in my opinion, but because it tilts its slower than n900's.

Originally Posted by hayman View Post
would you please show us some picture,,,can you do video call with skype ...?is there any way to get/port whatsapp on it .... ?
There is only facebook chat currently and whatsapp is closed protocol, so only WhatsApp Inc can port it.
Wlan Driver Selector Applet - Switch easily between stock and bleeding edge drivers

Last edited by laasonen; 2011-07-18 at 17:59.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to laasonen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Malaysia
I have no doubt the N9/N950 will be fast and at the moment does not require anything more than the hardware in its current configuration (1GHz).

My power kernel concerns are more based on the fact that the N9 will likely be a phone I'll be using for a long time (unless Nokia changes its mind about producing MeeGo devices) - and power kernel allows that option of overclocking to "prolong" the N9/N950 lifespan to keep it "up-to-date" later on. Besides... geeks have never complained about extra CPU cycles right?

Originally Posted by hayman View Post
I can show a picture if you have some specific request what you want to see. Though I have to say there's plenty of hands-on-videos of the N9 (and pictures too) in the net, so that I don't see much point in taking pictures. A live video (or better yet using it live) tells much more than a static picture.

Regarding Skype, it will be in the device as can be seen here http://swipe.nokia.com/applications/. But the N950 that developers have contains an old firmware and is lacking in some features that will be available on launch. One such thing is Skype, it's not included in the N950 firmware we received.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 778 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Jun 2010
Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
I've had the device now for 4 full days. The more I use it the more I love using it. It's a very well thought out UX, and the device itself is great. Multitasking is a pleasure.

Frankly I don't use the hardware keyboard at all.
how's the battery life?

and oh, is xterm included?

Originally Posted by fahadj2003 View Post
how's the battery life?

and oh, is xterm included?
It's still too early days for me to give a good estimate on the battery life. Part of the problem in estimating is that I'm often plugged in by the USB cable to do development testing, and the device is charging then.

But as an early estimate I'd say the battery life is for a smarthpne quite good. It seems that it can easily handle a days normal usage (and possible more, too early to say), including (in my case) quite much WWW browsing, photo taking, and the normal syncing of mails/feeds + sms messaging.

One more thing I'll say, that the screen is very good. I keep brightness at minimum, which probably helps battery life. Even with minimum brightness I have no trouble reading the screen in full sun light.

Terminal is included by default in these devices, probably because they are developer devices. As far as I've understood, N9 does not have terminal installed by default, but it's easily installed from package manager. Personally I don't much use the terminal from the device directly, I rather connect the device to computer and ssh into it. Much easier that way to do stuff.

The Following User Says Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 review, troll >, who cares.