Notices

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Netherlands
Hello everybody,

I am a big fan of Quake and the lack of a proper Quake port for Maemo5 has been bugging me for a while now. While talking to the maintainer of Darkplaces, one of the most well-known and widely used Quake engine ports, he informed me that Darkplaces was already running on the iPhone and that it should be an easy task to port it to Maemo5.

Here comes the catch: I would do this myself if I was anywhere near (cap)able to do so, so here is my request:

Can someone please try and port Darkplaces to Maemo5?

You can download a recent automatic build from SVN HEAD over here. The sourcecode is provided as a ZIP archive inside the download.
If you prefer to work with SVN and maybe submit a patch, you can find the SVN repository over here.

In case you want to talk to people with insight into Darkplaces' code, you can join their IRC channel #darkplaces on irc.anynet.org.
Anyway, here are some helpful quotes from Darkplaces' maintainer LordHavoc to possibly get you going,

Originally Posted by LordHavoc on IRC
I will say that the necessary edits are probably just in quakedef.h (adding the platform detection, along with #define USE_GLES2 1) and vid_sdl.c
Originally Posted by LordHavoc on IRC
USE_GLES2 only affects vid_sdl.c BTW, so it can be defined inside there if desired, but that's not a terribly important detail
I hope I will be pleasantly surprised!

Regards,

Lava Croft

The Following User Says Thank You to LavaCroft For This Useful Post:
Hi there . I ain't no coder but yeah darkplaces would be awesome on the n900..i do animations for quake only.

i was hoping for darkplaces to be ported on the n900

but what are the minimum requirements?

Originally Posted by UrbanKid View Post
Hi there . I ain't no coder but yeah
but what are the minimum requirements?
Nobody actually knows... LordHavoc got it running on his iPod Touch4 at 48-58fps and according to some Googling, the N900 has a lower clocked Cortex-A8 and a lower end GPU so performance might not be that good. I guess somebody will have to find out, someday.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
except we can play quake 3 yo

Originally Posted by f2thak View Post
except we can play quake 3 yo
We can play DOOM and Star Control 2 too, what is your point?

well darkplaces is a very powerful quake engine and Lavacroft send me the link that LordHavoc got darkplaces to work is it on his website? or some other place. Well i have been looking forward on darkplaces being ported to the n900. Did you try asking him to port it for the n900? or you can ask inside3d.com

Originally Posted by LavaCroft View Post
Nobody actually knows... LordHavoc got it running on his iPod Touch4 at 48-58fps and according to some Googling, the N900 has a lower clocked Cortex-A8 and a lower end GPU so performance might not be that good. I guess somebody will have to find out, someday.
but still we have something what's called power kernel

btw darkplaces have something like touchscreen support using vid_touchscreen

P.S.
sorry for my english ;p