Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by marrat View Post
Nah... only if I'd buy the magenta one... She loves that color on the N9, but I'll go for cyan. Black is a little bit too boring for me, that's the reason why my N8 is blue.

But maybe I will just buy both colors, one for me and one for her, then I'll have my peace
Sounds like a great idea. two is a must, So you can connect with just a touch.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
Sounds like a great idea. two is a must, So you can connect with just a touch.
We even can connect with just a touch without the help of any phone or technical toy whatsoever...

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to marrat For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Lindegaard View Post
1) I agree that symbian should have been dropped earlier. I would like to have had another OS on my N8 - but there where no alternative. Nokia will not go to Android and which other OS should have been implemented? We may like the Maemo, but it is not mainstream enough and WP7 wasn't ready - Windows 6.5 well have anyone tried it? I had an HTC with it as business phone and honestly my N95 was used 99% of the time...

Maybe Nokia didn't put more focus on Meego because they could see where symbian was heading - symbian Anna and Belle will actually be ok - still not fancy but much more smooth and with better browser = more competitive and maybe even an alternative to iOS and Android.
However the development of Anna and Belle took forever which made N8, C7 ect a mid-end product - at best.

2) the stakeholders opinion with Nokia depends on WP7 devices - Meego doesn't matter (unfortunately)
Judging from the history of Nokia it seems once they "left" symbian for Maemo it all went downhill from there so judging by the happenings from there on the problem was clear to see within there software dept as the root cause.

I did notice very clearly that once they dropped out of symbian and turned to Maemo, the updates were very meager leaving a lot to be even fixed, i noticed from the list of nofix that there was very little headway in development untill in the end someone made the decision to cut development on Maemo.

How MeeGo came about i am not sure but to have a stab in the dark and say they started that with not enough of a development team, same as before with Maemo, realised it was not going to get far and then at that point something was clearly wrong.

The story behind the "aquisition" of Elop probably came from within the board and i think by that point they finally realised the problem was software development and looking for a way out they obviously seen a saviour from Microsoft with this WP7, this obviously created the merger by the taking on of its new CEO and i think from my point of view Nokia at this point Nokia knew very well they had to get outside development and the very reason Elop is there and Microsoft to be that development.

Now i see a problem because i do not know or understand what they have done within Nokia as far as the development for MeeGo is concerned, what software engineers have been taken out by Elop, my guess is he will cut back enough leaving only the essential developers working in NOkia to make this venture work.

This may be the reason he has said what he said about the N9 being the last MeeGo device and probably means Nokia will only be concentrating on WP7.

All very easy to understand if you look at it this way but as for the real, is anyones guess.

Posts: 173 | Thanked: 200 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by Nokia Twitter
The previous clue went out on Friday at 9PM BST. We will have more details on what's to come soon!
Originally Posted by Nokia Twitter
Will have more information on what's next soon. Stay tuned .
Aw. Something is up.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Judging from the history of Nokia it seems once they "left" symbian for Maemo it all went downhill from there so judging by the happenings from there on the problem was clear to see within there software dept as the root cause.
I don't think that makes any sense. Nokia never left symbian for Maemo. They almost left it for MeeGo, but even that attempt was terminated before it got to full speed.
The only thing Nokia has ever "left" Symbian for is WP.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RFS-81 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RFS-81 View Post
I don't think that makes any sense. Nokia never left symbian for Maemo. They almost left it for MeeGo, but even that attempt was terminated before it got to full speed.
The only thing Nokia has ever "left" Symbian for is WP.
I am not sure what came first with Nokia, MeeGo or Maemo but as they brought out the Maemo os i would hazard a guess and say Maemo was in the pipeline first.

What i wrote was just my opinion and it stands only as an opinion.

I am looking at the events between Maemo and now.

MeeGo is not out yet as you know.

EDIT if you notice i said "left" not left.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-08-01 at 14:23.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Dan/Gerbick/et al, here's a thread for you to get stuck into, if you feel like it:
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?p=27038#post27038
Never been a fan of QGil's vague comments seemingly suggesting;
UX/Qt is all that matters, OSS/Linux underpinnings aren't necessarily as important, & Nokia can easily transfer any MeeGo/Qt goodness to WP/S40.

It's all the more odd when he's one of the main folk involved in delivering harmonization between Harmattan<->MeeGo.
Granted most of his comments on this matter are usually very vague, so he could mean something else entirely.
One of his blog posts suggested something slightly different, but was still open to interpretation.

I am not sure what came first with Nokia, MeeGo or Maemo but as they brought out the Maemo os i would hazard a guess and say Maemo was in the pipeline first.

Abill... are you still trying to be clueless again? Naughty boy!
I'm going to give you a slap on the wrist if you don't stop soon

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-08-01 at 17:13.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Dan/Gerbick/et al, here's one for you to get stuck into, if you feel like it:
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?p=27038#post27038
Never been a fan of QGil's vague comments seemingly suggesting;
UX is all that matters, OSS underpinnings can go away, & Nokia can easily transfer any MeeGo goodness to WP/S40.
Granted most of his comments on this matter are usually very vague, so he could mean something else entirely.
One of his blog posts suggested something slightly different, but was still open to interpretation.

Abill... are you still trying to be clueless? Naughty boy!
I'm going to give you a slap on the wrist if you don't stop soon
HAHA ... actually i read that lot and once i seen qgil had an input it put me right off because i have read all his words about Maemo that just never happened so no way i can believe him any more.

And in any case, once again it is all pure specualtion on that thread with a lot of if's.

Do i talk double dutch or something? nobody understands me? .

What i wrote was just my opinion and it stands only as an opinion.
Fair enough.

I am looking at the events between Maemo and now.
MeeGo is not out yet as you know.

EDIT if you notice i said "left" not left.
Noticed, but I felt the way you continued your text kind of nullified the quotes. No offence.

Originally Posted by RFS-81 View Post
Fair enough.

Noticed, but I felt the way you continued your text kind of nullified the quotes. No offence.
Basically all it means is that Nokia have not got any developers worth there salt otherwise why would they attempt to leave symbian for another os and completely fail?.

Nokia as you well know have been involved in symbian for years so they obviousdly had the right kind of developers for that but when it came down to Maemo and MeeGo they fell flat on there face due to bad developers i think .

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????