Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
I am not on about Nokia, this is all about open source and keeping linux open source.

Not going to work if it is applied to a closed source, this community has proved that and i was bringing in Nokia as a perfect example.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Daneel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
The following person have unmet dependencies:
participation: Depends: libcommon-sense (>= 1.0.0) but it is not found
Depends: libintelligence (>= 1.0.0) but it is not available
Depends: libself-control (>= 1.0.0) but it is not around
Depends: libtact (>= 1.0.0) but it is not there
Recommends: goback-to-school but it is not going to be done
E: Broken packages
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
I am not on about Nokia, this is all about open source and keeping linux open source.

Not going to work if it is applied to a closed source, this community has proved that and i was bringing in Nokia as a perfect example.
What's closed source? I'm not following your argument since it's not framed properly with the content in this thread.

Mind you, I'm trying to understand, but as it stands, what's closed source so far on the N950/N9 is the Swipe UX. The rest, open. LF is stating that they are not going to house possibly patent infringing software, but they're not dooming Linux. It will exist, people will still be able to develop for Linux and thus MeeGo.

Nothing is going away other than the fact that the repositories as we know it will not exist for MeeGo. But it doesn't mean that Linux dies.

Linux will prevail. It's the software that will be housed differently.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
What's closed source? I'm not following your argument since it's not framed properly with the content in this thread.

Mind you, I'm trying to understand, but as it stands, what's closed source so far on the N950/N9 is the Swipe UX. The rest, open. LF is stating that they are not going to house possibly patent infringing software, but they're not dooming Linux. It will exist, people will still be able to develop for Linux and thus MeeGo.

Nothing is going away other than the fact that the repositories as we know it will not exist for MeeGo. But it doesn't mean that Linux dies.

Linux will prevail. It's the software that will be housed differently.
I guess i am at one end of the field and you the other.

You just said "LF is stating that they are not going to house possibly patent infringing software", ok now look at the situation when linux was applied to the N900 then applied to this community to further develop?.

Why did it fall flat on its face?.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I guess i am at one end of the field and you the other.
Quite.

You just said "LF is stating that they are not going to house possibly patent infringing software", ok now look at the situation when linux was applied to the N900 then applied to this community to further develop?.
It has absolute zero to do with Linux. It has more to do with the repositories and applications. The way applications will be handled by the hobbyist and community developer is what is in question. Not the OS. Not Linux.

Re-read this wiki article...

Originally Posted by MeeGo Wiki
LF have refused permission to :
  • use the domain apps.meego.com or apps.for.meego.com to identify the service
  • host the apps.meego.com service within the MeeGo infrastructure at OSU
Nowhere in there does it say that Linux dies. In fact, it doesn't say that Maemo/MeeGo dies. What does get affected is if you are a developer, that's not working for Skype or Nokia or Electronic Arts or Corporation X (any company), the repositories that we know and use for Maemo (Maemo Extras for instance) is what is in question - among other things.

So what's community involvement beyond bug fixes, patches and improvement of the base OS? How do you get your apps out there? Does Intel AppUp include developers? Does it include non-commercial and non-x86 apps?

Community is the problem. It's involvement has changed. And there's no answer.

Not that Linux is going away or fell on its face or <insert any other wrong statement here>. Seriously... pull back, re-read what's going on, and you'll see that the problem is nowhere near where you're concentrating.

It's a huge problem, and you're just kilometers/miles away in your questions and concerns.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Quite.

It has absolute zero to do with Linux. It has more to do with the repositories and applications. The way applications will be handled by the hobbyist and community developer is what is in question. Not the OS. Not Linux.

Re-read this wiki article...

Nowhere in there does it say that Linux dies. In fact, it doesn't say that Maemo/MeeGo dies. What does get affected is if you are a developer, that's not working for Skype or Nokia or Electronic Arts or Corporation X (any company), the repositories that we know and use for Maemo (Maemo Extras for instance) is what is in question - among other things.

So what's community involvement beyond bug fixes, patches and improvement of the base OS? How do you get your apps out there? Does Intel AppUp include developers? Does it include non-commercial and non-x86 apps?

Community is the problem. It's involvement has changed. And there's no answer.

Not that Linux is going away or fell on its face or <insert any other wrong statement here>. Seriously... pull back, re-read what's going on, and you'll see that the problem is nowhere near where you're concentrating.

It's a huge problem, and you're just kilometers/miles away in your questions and concerns.
The problem is all around patents and that is the difference between true open source and closed source.

If a piece of software has a patent attached to it and is used or ajoined in any way or form to a piece of linux code then they COULD become liable for infringment yes?.

If your applying an open sourced written software (OSS) to closed source (Proprietary software) then unless you have permissions from the holder of the patent, license or what ever you want to call it, you can land in deep water if he does not agree with what you have done to or with his code.

That is basically the problem, mixing OSS with proprietary software in a way that leaves you non liable legally with no route to become liable.

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
formeego.org

freemeego.org

libremeego.org
All 3 sound like warez sites with virus & trojan-ridden programs.
If they showed up in a search engine, I would keep looking.

The copyright/licensing issue is making a very legitimate-looking URL difficult.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by lbt View Post
BTW .. did I mention that Neils and I made a huge effort to make the MeeGo infra support Fremantle and Harmattan.... if that's not "continue to support maemo.org" then what is?
What? No Diablo support? I am APPALLED, Sir!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
MeeGo as far as the N900 is concerned will never replace Maemo, we all know this now and that means we have Maemo dropped completely by Nokia for MeeGo and now MeeGo is going its own way commercially not free source like it was portrayed.
First off, "never" is a strong word. Ultimately, it is really the only way forward for the N900 since modifying Maemo 5 is always going to be limited. How well it works is going to depend on the will of those developing Meego. Obviously, the past doesn't bode well, but since we aren't depending on Nokia anymore to do these things it is probably a better chance than most.

Not sure what the hell the second half of your statement is saying. Meego is still an open source project and this statement doesn't change that. It is disappointing that LF didn't step up to the plate on this one, and to be honest I've been having some doubts that they are going to be fully supportive of Meego, but I don't know where you are getting the "commercially" from when that aspect doesn't really exist as of yet for Meego. (Harmattan doesn't really count.)

Tags
dystopianfuture, linux found, meego, why lf why, winding down