Posts: 362 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy, Lombardia
I have read that HW specs are not upgradable, but if possible I will suggest to use at least a Cortex A9 (yes A9) single core SoC with 1024MB.

A9 is an out of order cpu (A8 is in order) so it could be 20-30% faster than A8 at same clock and 1024MB give more longevity to the product.

Cortex A9 single core SoCs are not expensive and they are already used by china's hw builders (i.e. AmLogic Cortex A9 800MHz SoC with 1080p support, by Mali 400 GPU, can be found on 90-100USD tablets)

Last edited by Fabry; 2011-07-27 at 19:49.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fabry For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Fabry View Post
I have read that HW specs are not upgradable, but if possible I will suggest to use at least a Cortex A9 (yes A9) single core SoC with 1024MB.

A9 is an out of order cpu (A8 is in order) so it could be 20-30% faster than A8 at same clock and 1024MB give more longevity to the product.

Cortex A9 single core SoCs are not expensive and they are already used by china's hw builders (i.e. AmLogic Cortex A9 800MHz SoC with 1080p support, by Mali 400 GPU, can be found on 90-100USD tablets)
I'd be happy with slightly faster hardware and I would even be willing to pay more for it. Btw., I signed for a preorder anyway, cause I love the idea

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
yes @geekygirl and @fabry. Faster processor then is currently mentioned in the specs. Maybe omap 3630, the one that is on N9, with a 1ghz, or the cortex A9 (which ever does not increase the price dramtically). Plus up the ram to 1gb. All other things remain constant, its a definite buy, excellent device. People can get it with cordia installed, and an option to install the meego tablet UX, its amazing, its a win for the community.

You guys and gals are missing the point - we can *not* switch processor in design, cause we're buying existing tablet (powered by android). The difference is, that Smoku selected one, that we can 100% switch to Cordia HD, without loosing things like DSP hardware accelerating. We can *not* get A9 on this device - maybe we could use device with A9 build in, but I presume, that it may bring further complications, like lack of other demanded things (HDMI, USB hostmode, etc.). It's really not easy to find best quality/price tablet, that will be 100% compatible with Cordia/Meego.

Also, keep in mind (it was elaborated on Smoku blog), that *most* of SoC's *don't* have open source drivers/modules/or-whatever-its-called that we can use to get full performance (most of the time, lack of OpenGLES, so no hw acceleration).

Sure, I would *love* to see device with 1GB RAM, and also would like to pay more for it. But, as it was previously explained, we need *at least* 1000 confirmed orders (i.e. 1000 people, that will pay in advance, and wait unspecified amount of time, facing possible delays etc - just like with Open Pandora project), to order producing device specified by us. Threshold for buying (for good price) existing hardware is only 250.

By the way, I really hold my thumbs for this project, and I hope it's going to be such a success, that 3-4 years later, we'll be able to design our own device with specification 100% as our needs are (in fact, will be )
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
The cordia tab does look like it could be and Ideal unit for a maemo migration

I would like to ask about the pricing though, as anyone who lives outside of the US knows... Electronics don't really follow the exchange rate for some unknown reason.

So if this is available outside of the US, I would like to see this a little more sanely priced for the UK (and else where)

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy, Lombardia
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
You guys and gals are missing the point - we can *not* switch processor in design, cause we're buying existing tablet (powered by android). The difference is, that Smoku selected one, that we can 100% switch to Cordia HD, without loosing things like DSP hardware accelerating. We can *not* get A9 on this device - maybe we could use device with A9 build in, but I presume, that it may bring further complications, like lack of other demanded things (HDMI, USB hostmode, etc.). It's really not easy to find best quality/price tablet, that will be 100% compatible with Cordia/Meego.
There is an expensive china's tablet with specs like CordiaTab or even better.

Search for "Dropad A9N".

It uses a Cortex A9 NEC EV2 (dualcore, not single core but unknown clock speed) with SGX530 (same as N900) GPU, double cam (2.0MP + 3.2MP).
Unfortunately it is still 512MB only

Smoku can evaluate it and if it is ok for Cordia HD then he can contact the producer to see how much discount can be obtained for bulk (250 or more units) orders

EDIT:
No HDMI port
GPS version not available now (but planned)

Last edited by Fabry; 2011-07-28 at 01:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fabry For This Useful Post:
That's the thing I was talking about. You find one with better processor - it's almost useless, as RAM doesn't increase. If even You find one with better RAM - it's missing crucial parts, like GPS. and so, it goes on.

I, somehow, got faith that Smoku already sandboxed *really* best compromise. Trust me - I'm just about to start my own electronic business,and I've gone through filtering china offers for really good things, out of 90% crap +5% good thing lacking essential stuff.

I would really recommend to stick with one already tested (yes, Smoku have at least one in his hand right now!), then, if we need to, after few years design our own, than spend months now "waiting" for some planed features to pop-up in china products. This most likely gonna kill the project.

---

As for CordiaTAB itself, I wonder what "HDMI: 720p support" means. Will it be possible to set up X desktop resolution, matching, for example, 1680x1050 resolution monitor, and get native resolution (of monitor output), or will it be capped to 720 width? Or you mean only video playback, obviously limited to 720p?

Also, may it be that no one realized, but CordiaTAB got worse resolution than N900, for square centimeter - 1024x600 for 7'', as opposed to 800x600 for our 3,5''. No big deal, thought - I think that it's still very good resolution, without any sign of pixelisation. Personally, I'm not so happy with capacitive screen (although multitouch is nice), but we can agree that it's today standard and nice compromise.

Smoku, is this 3300 mAh battery removable without problems, or we need to disassemble device? Also, do you consider performing professional tests about battery capacity, before ordering 250? They tend to lie about battery capacity, and having in mind lover real value, this can be + for us to negotiate better price...

I'm also from Poland, and I got equipment needed to correctly measure real capacity, so I would be very happy, to volunteer via doing measurements.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2011-07-28 at 10:08.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Smoku have at least one in his hand right now!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/smoku/s...326163/detail/

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
I signed on for pre-order because I really want to support this project.

Even if I share expectations for higher performance hardware I would buy it anyway just for it openess. There is no other option because neither Android is that open as it would look like.

I just hope for an up to date status of the project, with estimated times maybe.

The Following User Says Thank You to maxppc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
As a "device manufacturer", can you ask the Alien Dalvik people what they´d want for licensing it for use on our oversized Cordia device?

Since they don´t want to sell to end users...

I put myself down for 2 devices. I´m willing to lose that to get a Maemo 5 looking device to go with my N900.

Last edited by olighak; 2011-08-17 at 10:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to olighak For This Useful Post:

Tags
cordia, fremantle ux, hildon, maemo 5 ux, meego, sanctuary, the garden