Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by keflex View Post
Hype /= sales.

However assuming hype does in this case equal sales, the question then needs to be asked: why has this device sold well? Is it:

- The design
- The feature-set
- The UI
- The underlying OS framework

And so on. Out of those 4, the 4th option strikes me as the least likely. Similarly, Ahtisaari has said that aspects of the N9 will live on in future Nokia products, the aspects that are likely to have the most direct correlation with sales.
I can appreciate logical conversation and analysis.

It's doubtful that the OS sells anything. However, given that it is still Nokia, it's not a WP7 phone, the OS might factor in more than they've originally thought.

Simply put, I fear that Europe doesn't want anything to do with WP7 in its current iteration. I've traveled enough and American enough (and lived abroad enough) to know that WP7 is honestly a decidedly American affair in terms of UI and workflow.

Now that I could be wholly wrong; but I just don't see WP7 catching on in Europe nor Asia.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Nope. But with Elop in charge, we'll invariably not see any more MeeGo/Maemo devices after the N9.

Hell, in my opinion, he'd be better off measuring the hype around the N9/Maemo 6 and try serve up a second offering of Maemo 6 alongside WP7 Mango.
That is actually what i was reffering too as WP7 does not count as a Nokia device does it

As for the 950....... and ??????. (directed at the other guy not you)

It's doubtful that the OS sells anything. However, given that it is still Nokia, it's not a WP7 phone, the OS might factor in more than they've originally thought.

Simply put, I fear that Europe doesn't want anything to do with WP7 in its current iteration. I've traveled enough and American enough (and lived abroad enough) to know that WP7 is honestly a decidedly American affair in terms of UI and workflow.

Now that I could be wholly wrong; but I just don't see WP7 catching on in Europe nor Asia.
I have to at least try and persuade you that Windows os is used by probably 90% of Europe so i actually do see this thing from Windows taking off here in Europe, but hell you never know.

I want to see what happens with this N9 before anything else cos i reckon it is really going to cause a lot of shite for Nokia IF it does what it said it will do (Nokia).

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
I have to at least try and persuade you that Windows os is used by probably 90% of Europe so i actually do see this thing from Windows taking off here in Europe, but hell you never know.
You don't have to convince me of the desktop OS.

I'm talking about the mobile Microsoft OS. The same one that's not selling well in the US or UK right now.

And I've switched up... I'm now using a Dell Venue Pro. Still not convinced that WP7, while pretty darn cool to me, will sell well in Europe.

We'll see...

I want to see what happens with this N9 before anything else cos i reckon it is really going to cause a lot of shite for Nokia IF it does what it said it will do (Nokia).
I'm equally awaiting what the N9 does. But take note... I will get one.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
That is actually what i was reffering too as WP7 does not count as a Nokia device does it
Under Elop... yes, it does.

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
coming from ireland maemo, meego, wp7 aren't really heard of, even android isn't heard of that much. people remember the phones more then the OS. i'm not talking about tech people or people who have are interested in tech but the mass consumer. They're told it has "android" or "windows phone 7" etc.
Marketing is one of the area's nokia has failed on big time in the recent years. Image and marketing. yes it's unfortunate that things are as they are right now, we'd all like maemo to be more successful but i don't think nokia can push it right now. i can see why they are not making it their main platform right now. microsoft have put a windows phone 7 marketing budget of $1billion, thats going to have an effect. it's going to be everywhere and always in people's faces and minds. symbian was just to outdated and too slow to develop. yes it rocked functionality but it didn't age well, needed core redevelopment for faster cycles in updates and iterations.

But i don't see them putting all their eggs in 1 basket. By slowly phasing symbian out they are saving on R&D in that area.
Having meego/meamo give's them a card to play at a later date. it's a way out, a bargaining chip. Once nokia as a brand re-identifies itself and the whole unified UI throughout their devices (wp7 excluded) and their image reworked, then they'll be in a better position to push an open os. regardless, i'm that happy with maemo5 and the n900 that the options available with the n9 should be enough to make me happy again for another few years. we all know whats at the core so we know the potential regardless of how much support it's officially given. official support can't replace a good community and the achievements it brings. so bring on the n9 and forgiving ease of root

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to smegheadz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 194 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Sydney, Australia

I actually do agree with you on this. I only see WP7 really taking off after the introduction of Windows 8, when MS can really sell the idea of a unified UX. That's where you're going to see a lot of mass adoption coming from.

The Following User Says Thank You to keflex For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Just buy an iPhone. A superior phone in every respect. N9 is not innovative enough to make a difference.

HERE WE GO.... now it starts.

Originally Posted by keflex View Post
I actually do agree with you on this. I only see WP7 really taking off after the introduction of Windows 8, when MS can really sell the idea of a unified UX. That's where you're going to see a lot of mass adoption coming from.
Bingo. And that's not until mid-2012 by all guesstimates. I just know that Nokia doesn't have until then to do or release anything. A steady 20%+ drop in share in just one year or so.

Windows 8 + WP7 (or WP8) + Unified UX might be a blockbuster in quite a few areas. It'll be convenient to marry all of that together - and plus... Win8 finally is when Microsoft will start dropping legacy support and start looking only forward.

I can't wait personally for that.

Nokia cannot keep waiting. February 2010, they "went" with MeeGo. February 2011, they "dropped" MeeGo. June/July 2011, they soft-announce the Nokia N9. August 2011, the N9 isn't out yet nor do they have dates for bigger markets - no Germany, no France, no England (not directly), no USA, no Canada... not yet. But Kazakhstan, South Africa and Austria all have dates... wtf.

Anyway, let's see. I just don't like this whole fight from a hole strategy.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????