Active Topics

No more... chat.

Originally Posted by ch8xy View Post
No more... chat.
Just add him to your ignore list. You'll no longer see his posts once you do.

R.
==

Good idea. Thanks!

Originally Posted by rickh View Post
Just add him to your ignore list. You'll no longer see his posts once you do.

R.
==
Wondering why he never did that to begin with instead of keeping on saying "no more chat" lol... Anyway, putting people on ignore lists are for the weak

Get a instant on laptop

Still holding out for the instant-pack-n-unpack, instant-cafe-table-clearing laptop (that is also shirt pocket-able!)

I sold my Dell X51, after 3 firmware upgrades the battery drain issue was still not fixed. Even with the broadcom drivers, 3 new batterys, a single battery never lasted over 2.5 hours.

You can say all you want about the Axim, but untill you use it, and have to do a softreset on it 2~5 times daily because it didn't like you opening up more then 2 apps. You just don't know the pain. Also you cannot get WM6 for the Dell X51 unless you uses a Hacked Illegal copy, since as far as i know Dell has not released, and will not release an update for it.

I did the same thing as you, read the specs, debated, and made my choice of the Axim, the hardware is good hardware....but the OS is where it craps out majorly. I finally got rid of it because of that fact.

Hell my work phone is a Moto Q, and even though i love it, it is still a pain in the ***. It WOSD on me about once a day, this is after 2 new phones, and all the firmware updates. I'll just say this again, It's not the hardware your not going to like. It's the OS

Last edited by DemonBob; 2007-12-10 at 05:24.

Originally Posted by DemonBob View Post
I sold my Dell X51, after 3 firmware upgrades the battery drain issue was still not fixed. Even with the broadcom drivers, 3 new batterys, a single battery never lasted over 2.5 hours.

You can say all you want about the Axim, but untill you use it, and have to do a softreset on it 2~5 times daily because it didn't like you opening up more then 2 apps. You just don't know the pain. Also you cannot get WM6 for the Dell X51 unless you uses a Hacked Illegal copy, since as far as i know Dell has not released, and will not release an update for it.

I did the same thing as you, read the specs, debated, and made my choice of the Axim, the hardware is good hardware....but the OS is where it craps out majorly. I finally got rid of it because of that fact.

Hell my work phone is a Moto Q, and even though i love it, it is still a pain in the ***. It WOSD on me about once a day, this is after 2 new phones, and all the firmware updates. I'll just say this again, It's not the hardware your not going to like. It's the OS
Were you running WM5? Most of the other sites say the battery lasts 6 hours with "normal usage" (20% brightness, no wifi, bluetooth, or video/graphic intense stuff)

Am I the only one who thniks that Beni is just trolling around?
At least ten people pointed to him why is the Axim not a better device than N800, but his God is still better than ours. 16 hours on 3300mA? Come on man... DO this mean that I could get 8 hours with mine 2200mAh?
In fact I almost could. Playing MP3s on blanked screen and lowered CPU. I got 6 or 7 hours. That with no BT/WiFi switched on, latest official ROM (A12 I think) and some community supplied patches. This is the device that made me the habit to brin an AC adapter along the two batteries with me.

And the biggest point about Broadcomm firmware... This is as much a hack as enabling AD2P and the other (excuse me, for two years with various devices I have used BT no more than 2 hours, so I don't know the terms) A*** something thing. The default Microsoft stack couldn't even pair with my GPS?!

I think I already stated it, but in the best case WM is dualtasking, if even not multitasking. I know, you will jump to say "I am using xxx, yyy, zzz and www programs right now".

WM is obsolete. It has been such for some years. Microsoft admits that. The user community admits that. Codename Photon is planned for Q1 or Q2 of 2008 and should bring the refresh needed for the last 3 or 4 years. But how long it would take it to appear on devices? Then how long would it take it to the developers to start building apps for the new platform? And Maemo has started gaining it's momentum long time ago.

So in summary use your obsolete device, with it glitches, worship it as the best piece of consumer electronics ever sold and let us die silently "struggling" with the Maemo platform.

P.S. Be prepared for the next wave of trolling!

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
Beni was / is in need of penpals. Nuff said.

I upgraded my Axim X50v to N800 and I do like N800 much more (my wife has my old x50v now). I can understand though that if you need mostly PIM, then X50v or any WinMobile based device would be a better choice.

I do have an extended battery for X50v and in my experience battery life in N800 with wifi on is much better than on X50v even with extended battery. However it is not too important for me because I did not see much point in enabling wifi on x50v - browsers available for x50v just suck and I did not bother trying to surf on x50v most of the time.

Over the 3 years I used my X50v I bought a few application, but all the functionality I got is available for free on Maemo: omweather lets me download/preview weather, maemo browser is way better than commercial opera, and maemo interface does not need third-party desktop managers I had to buy for x50v to hide ugliness of WinMobile. I never could find a free map software for WinMobile such as MaemoMapper and I could not justify wasting $200+ for mapping software I do not really need that much. I never could find an email client for WinMobile which could connect to my home IMAP server where I have a couple dozen of folders with few thousand messages in each, and claws mail on maemo does it just fine.

Bottom line is - you like WinMobile device - go for it, but there is no point in trying to convince it is better for everyone. We have been there, done that and know that it is not for us.