Active Topics

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by scapegoat845 View Post
WTF IS GOING ON HERE !? I'm praying this thing doesn't get cancelled....

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/11/n...en-more-meage/
engadget == Elop == troll

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by BwackNinja View Post
I've given up getting an N9, though I unfortunately can't give up obsessing over it. I'll be getting a Samsung Galaxy S II, (Samsung Stratosphere apparently on Verizon) and probably running Cyanogen. I'll at least be waiting for the next Meego device, whoever might make it, might be around before 2 years.

I justified a carrier switch, paying the unsubsidized price, getting little to no real support - both first party and third party, and the fact that most of the hardware in this phone is unremarkable. I can't justify getting it with a release date that I don't know, imported because its not otherwise coming to the US, or heck even the UK or Germany now and I'm sure that's just the start of disappointment. No other device from no other manufacturer are you so worried "will it be supported?" That's not a question you should have to ask. Period.

The N950 developer program ended up giving most of those who had really wanted the original N9, with the keyboard, what they had been looking for. The rest of us are SOL. One last hurrah for Maemo, for the few who still care, not that there were many who cared in the first place. The N900 is far past its peak and you still have to explain to everyone what it is and why it means something.

It doesn't take a great device to claim the market, a hardware and software upgrade to the N900 would've been able to do that if that was true. It would at least have more than just a cult following if that was it. It takes a decent device and a lot of marketing, and then you finally grow into something that people can't move away from, part of their lives.

The Galaxy S II is a device, and a good one. The N9, however, is a dream. A dream I won't be living, and that probably wouldn't measure up to what I think of it anyway.

And just like the fabled "Year of the Linux Desktop" it isn't whether it has become great or not, its the fact the vast majority of people have no reason to care.
buy SII fast then before Microsoft aznd apple stops samsung and others from selling linuxbased devices

the reaason Microsoft raped nokia is because of linux/qt/android is a competitor to theyr own crap.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Don't forget that most people don't fawn over their mobile phones like we do. They buy a cool looking device when they see their friends use it, or they check what's available when they need a new one.

So to most people, the N9 simply doesn't exist yet and there is no anxiety. When it enters a market at some time in the future, it will still be a compelling device, and in fact it may be even more compelling when the price has gone down for it to become more affordable as a spontaneous buy. That doesn't mean that this will definitely happen, but I guess that this is how Nokia treats their product portfolio and when to release individual devices at specific locations.

Meanwhile, those of us who are already determined to get it anyway, can always find a way to buy or import it from a third party. Which is particularly easy with the N9, as there are no significant regional differences.

Also, if the N9 turns out to be a surprise success in some countries, I bet that more carriers from other countries will be happy to pick it up.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@mikecomputing: mike, you know that you are the one trolling, right?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 194 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Sydney, Australia
had a bit of an email back-and-forth with stephen today. I do actually trust the executive to make the best decisions they can, and I believe this is what they are doing. as kanishou has pointed out, most consumers don't consider things like open-ness and data ownership when purchasing a new phone. if most consumers do not value these things, why should nokia? the neckbeard fury is getting old, and the supreme ignorance of business logic even moreso. I will likely buy an N9,because I like the N9. if you do not, that's fine; that's the beauty of a capitalist marketplace. but kicking & screaming solves nothing, and makes you look pathetic.

The Following User Says Thank You to keflex For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by keflex View Post
had a bit of an email back-and-forth with stephen today. I do actually trust the executive to make the best decisions they can, and I believe this is what they are doing. as kanishou has pointed out, most consumers don't consider things like open-ness and data ownership when purchasing a new phone. if most consumers do not value these things, why should nokia? the neckbeard fury is getting old, and the supreme ignorance of business logic even moreso. I will likely buy an N9,because I like the N9. if you do not, that's fine; that's the beauty of a capitalist marketplace. but kicking & screaming solves nothing, and makes you look pathetic.
They may not consider openness and data ownership now but Nokia was once a great company which catered to all audiences with different handsets. Now it has chosen a one size fits all approach with something that consumers are not that interested in. So I'm going to ask you the same question about WP7. If most consumers do not value this thing, why should nokia? Hope this doesn't come across as kicking and screaming, I've moved on, but I hope your emails weren't just "I agree, mein fuhrer".

Posts: 55 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
... Now it has chosen a one size fits all approach with something that consumers are not that interested in...
I'm not interested in starting endless debate about this here, but if you consider the success of Apple's products (among other examples), can you really draw the conclusion that the mass market doesn't want a one size fits all approach?... I doubt it.

I think we (geeks, open-source community,...) tend to forget that we are not representative of the market as a whole... And blame Nokia's management team as you want, but I don't think they are that naive as to not do any market studies before taking decisions.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 0x4e84 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Sigh. I do understand you pain... I'm still going to get one.
As I'm sure it's still going to be a very compelling device overall.
Despite all the efforts to ensure it's not....
I don't like what Nokia's been doing though, totally uncool.
I'm not feeling any pain. And I'm not bitter towards Nokia. I'm just making a sound decision not to part with several hundred pounds for a device that has all but been abandoned by its manufacturer, even before its release. It's just a phone. Nothing more, nothing less. And it's a phone that I don't find quite as compelling as I first thought. I have (for now at least) an N950, so I'll continue to develop for the Meego-Harmattan platform alongside Maemo 5, which I still enjoy using. The N900 is still my main device. I honestly prefer it overall.

My website

GitHub

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by 0x4e84 View Post
I'm not interested in starting endless debate about this here, but if you consider the success of Apple's products (among other examples), can you really draw the conclusion that the mass market doesn't want a one size fits all approach?... I doubt it.

I think we (geeks, open-source community,...) tend to forget that we are not representative of the market as a whole... And blame Nokia's management team as you want, but I don't think they are that naive as to not do any market studies before taking decisions.
Totally agree with you, not saying a one size fits all approach cannot work or is not financially beneficial. Financially I think it's actually better. It reduces cost and the amount of work required. In fact there are times where the number of different Linux distros annoy me even, but I understand it.

I get it, I never said it wouldn't work or that they wouldn't financially be better off with that approach so I'm not sure where the debate is. One thing I don't agree on though is the size they've chosen.

Last edited by Cue; 2011-08-12 at 12:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by 0x4e84 View Post

Nokia appear to have chosen a size that doesn't fit anyone.

My website

GitHub

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????