Active Topics

Originally Posted by keflex View Post
Because of course, that first year of flat growth means absolutely nothing to you. Either you don't how to interpret data visualisations, or you just ignored it for some inextricable reason. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume you are really, really dumb. Thanks for proving my point though.

Also, you've completely misrepresented what I've been saying; I've been saying that Nokia believe they are representing both the interests of the market and their own self-interest in the best possible way. I've also pointed out that I am not concluding this is the correct way to go yet; I am simply saying to wait and see. But jumping to conclusions is all the rage around here, so I can see why you thought I might follow suit.

Also the lack of devices is due to the planned release schedule for these devices. As we all know, mobile handsets have very long lead times for development and it's unlikely that any recent sales data would have affected device production.

Also as an aside, I only refuse points when they are grounded in poor logic. All your posts have been characterised by misrepresenting current information, including my own stance on the topic at hand. Most of my posts have been based on correcting your assumptions, representations of data and overt generalisations of the current marketplace. Game over, please deposit 40 quarters.
I'm going to walk away from this nonsense, sane people looking at that graph can form their own opinion on market trends and you can go back and read the posts if you like. I made little to no assumptions. I actually followed your daft logic throughout, which you applied to things only when it twisted some other daft statement of yours in your favour but decided to ignore it when you saw fit. I misinterpreted nothing because I actually was discussing your rebuttal to my own comment. go back and read it if your memory also fails you. Good day and goodbye.

Originally Posted by SR90 View Post
I was going through youtube for new nokia n9 videos ...and found this video of n9 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-3cA49oK-4

Its the same girl that is promoting nokia n9 around the europe ... everyone though that she is holding a white n9 but in reality its a black one with white cover on it !

I hope they come up with the white one ...even if they don't im going to buy the Cyan one ....IF THEY RELEASE THE N9 !!!!!
Early casing prototypes are printed with 3D printers and are usually white and very fragile.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by selfish_russian View Post
Eff'in pentile on N9:
Damn!
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=74802&page=8

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
ROTFL so you really think it will sell well without marketing resources not a chance.
I will buy the deviced but with lack of marketing it will fail globally. It mayh sell well in northeurope and ausstria but the rest it will fail thanks too Elop and his Microsoftteam...
I think we're getting a bit carried away with Elop/Management evil this, & incompetent that.
It does actually still seem to be a fairly aggressive release worldwide:
http://mynokiablog.com/2011/08/12/no...-on-august-15/
See comments also.....

Sure UK/US/DE/ES etc. may not get it period....
But almost everywhere else seems to be getting it, if not via carriers, then def. via plenty of retail availability.
And many of those countries do seem to be getting carrier availability now too.

Lets just let things evolve a bit more, I'm not so sure Elop's deliberately trying to kill it now.
Maybe he/management will try to push it hard in markets where Symbian's traditionally been strongest, at least for now.

But I'll only believe that if I see it followed-up with strong marketing, & stronger help w/commercial apps/ecosystem.
Which previous Maemo devices never really had, because Symbian always won the priority/funding arguments etc.

Random Readings:
*Start taking bets: September 7 fingered for fall Apple event
^ UPDATE: Sources for The Loop say that a September 7 event is definitely "not happening".
Sept still looking probably though...
*Nokia ordered 2-million Windows phones for September

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-08-12 at 22:34.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
You are using N950 and NOT N9. iphone has had many itinerations to perfect their VKB and N900 VKB, as you said, was abysmal. Hence you can understand my concern when few peops here are not giving it a stellar review. I will wait for in depth reviews by daily users of N9 to decide if worth buying.
uhhh the n950 and n9 have the same software albeit minor firmware version differences...probably, but what is your point exactly? You really think there will be that much difference between the two VKBs? seriously?....really...seriously?

Back to the N9...

Does anyone N9/N950 users know, if the recording program works in the background, for example, when you write a memo at the meeting same time.

I hope there is the recording program?

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by SR90 View Post
I was going through youtube for new nokia n9 videos ...and found this video of n9 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-3cA49oK-4
Blondie in that vid's cute!

Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
Early casing prototypes are printed with 3D printers and are usually white and very fragile.
Reminds me of the white 770 prototype Ari Jaaksi showed at the Amsterdam summit:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 194 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
I'm going to walk away from this nonsense, sane people looking at that graph can form their own opinion on market trends and you can go back and read the posts if you like. I made little to no assumptions. I actually followed your daft logic throughout, which you applied to things only when it twisted some other daft statement of yours in your favour but decided to ignore it when you saw fit. I misinterpreted nothing because I actually was discussing your rebuttal to my own comment. go back and read it if your memory also fails you. Good day and goodbye.
Glad to see you've come to your senses, don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Originally Posted by keflex View Post
But we haven't got at the core of why they are choosing alternate OS'. I would think there's two real factors at play:

- Lack of carrier support/support from salespeople within carrier stores
- Lack of new devices

Do either of those show great macromanagement on behalf of Microsoft? Not really. But they do mean that it's probably not really worth rating the sales data until Mango comes along with new devices in tow and bridges the service gap that currently exists between WP7 & its competitors. How was Android's first year again?

Honestly son the door is right there, if you want to walk through it at any time I won't laugh too hard.
Firstly i would say Symbian didn't really fail in the past, it was actually quite successful until ios and and later android came along. Symbian's demise is due to the fact it seemed to be an engineering struggle to advance it yet remain compatible with legacy stuff. The old dog was struggling to do new tricks. People are still waiting for anna, just to get a portrait keyboard for example.

Lack of carrier support is due to one thing and one thing only. Lack of sales. If your **** sells plenty, carriers will jump at it

Lack of devices? Heh, symbian has many. iPhone has one.

I would repeat again, Nokia's sales strategy did not bode well with the US carrier driven business. When they tried to adjust, it was too late, symbian was already outdated, noone wanted it, so neither did carriers.

Had Nokia finish maemo/meego harmattan whatever, when android had it's 1.6 and adjusted their strategy for the main smarthphone markets like US and UK to offer subsidized phones at different price ranges, they would've been where Android is right now. They were just too slow. Too much red tape.

This is one thing i like about Elop, he has severed so much red tape, that things are actually being done. Will his WP7 strategy workout? i dunno. But from reading many other palces, people are ITCHING to get WP7 mango on Nokia, as much as we here are itching to get n9

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hotnikkelz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 194 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Sydney, Australia
Good post, although I will point out that I said "new devices", not just devices. The iPhone is the exception, not the rule.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keflex For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????