Well, as a small companion for my N900, serving business needs, I got a Veer yesterday. I will send it back tomorrow due to being absolutely fine with ONE dead platform.

If my N900 dies, it will be a dumbphone, as small as possible, maybe hidden in some watch, and my Wetab.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kobold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 152 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West Virginia
Originally Posted by kobold View Post
If my N900 dies, it will be a dumbphone, as small as possible, maybe hidden in some watch, and my Wetab.
That just reminded me of the "dumb"phone I was looking at..."AVATAR ET-1 Quad Band Touch Screen Watch Phone With Numeric Keypad" ...not going to link it but I did find it for $62 which made me laugh.

i'll get a 2nd hand N900 as a spare and make the 2 units last as long as possible.

and btw, HP has sort of officially announced they are killing off webOS.

I was debate between N9 or Palm pre-3, but today HP announced WebOS is dead!! so i have no option, I will buy the N9 even is not distributed officialy in my country (Spain) but is distributed via expansys so i will buy a goorgeus Black 64 GB N9 for sure!!

I already have two N900 and buying a third one will be two much

Posts: 137 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ United States
Something with quad core in it, but that would be more towards 2012.

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
I already have my next phone: iphone4. Does the routine task without frustration

My original pre-order N900 is possibly showing early signs of USB port failure, so I picked up a spare/backup N900. I would have happily bought an N950. I was not happy with the N9 (no hw keyboard and no swappable battery are big big negatives for me) -- though I might have succumbed to a N9 anyhow...

I had contemplated that perhaps the Pre-3/WebOS might work for me if my N900 failed, but since HP eliminated that option today...

It looks like my post-N900 plan is my old dumbphone + my venerable n810 / P&S camera / Nook Color w/CM7 / Macbook Air (all of which I own and use -- though the P&S camera has seen far less service since I got my n900).

My Nook Color taught me two things: a 7" IPS tablet is lovely for websites & PDFs, and that Android does not meet my expectations. And that if it doesn't have Opera, web browsing may suffer...

Regarding iOS, I dislike needing to hack a device to meet my needs. I find the web browsing experience frustrating (not a fan of the "mobile web"). I seriously still prefer my n810 over an iPhone 4.

It's rare to find my line of thinking being expressed by so many others.

Last edited by ashes; 2011-08-19 at 05:46.

Originally Posted by kobold View Post
Well, as a small companion for my N900, serving business needs, I got a Veer yesterday.
How are the IMAP and XMPP clients?

I will send it back tomorrow due to being absolutely fine with ONE dead platform.
I'm still considering a Pre 3. I see nothing but dead platforms (Apple/Google/MS offerings are not options for me) and at least this one has some sort of physical keyboard, is actually available, and relatively reasonably priced.

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Personally I feel that a lot of things with the N9 has gone towards your run-of-the-mill Android. No flash in browser that prefers mobile sites and no out-of-the-box hackability.

Personally I went out and got another N900 for spare parts. I think we'll survive this holocaust of pocket computers being turned into dumbphones. As I wait, I bought the Sony Ericsson XperiaX10 Mini Pro for laughs (and half-free mind you), just to get to know Android and its hackability. In about 3 days I've seen it all so back on the N900 again.

Please read my blog: "PeakMobility", which deals with MeeGo/Maemo, Windows Phone and mobile technology in general from a hedonistic user point-of-view: http://peakmob.blogspot.com/

Samsung Galaxy S 2 really hovers my mind with some periodicity, but I'm afraid I'm gonna miss my N900 fm transmitter and the unexpensive video output. Apart of the thrill to be an outcast whenever I get the phone out of my pocket.

At 175 eur a new n9 or 425 a new SGS2 I'm quite undecided, because I'm totally new to android (nitdroid is not a valid android experience) and also thrilled to use it.

Just don't know.