Posts: 20 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ The Netherlands
haven't had time yet and my car is being fixxed right now so i cant test anything.

but i think its possible to fix this problem by reviewing the files that contain alsa .

find -name '*alsa*'

check what these files contain maybe theres something with priorities will check it out this weekend

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
Any update on this? I would love to be able to route music through the 3.5mm headphones, and have calls routed through bluetooth headset. Instead, everything seems to route to bluetooth even if 3.5mm is plugged in.
I regularly connect my phone to my car stereo over 3.5mm to listen to music, and my (stupid) state just passed a 'hands-free phone' law, so it's currently impossible to have my bluetooth headset on and ready in case I get a phone call AND listen to music through 3.5mm on my car stereo..

EDIT: I drive a convertible, so using a bluetooth car stereo for music + phone calls is not feasible, as there would be a lot of interference from wind on a dash-mounted microphone

Last edited by craftyguy; 2010-01-27 at 19:14.

I'd also be very interested in an update on this issue. I have a handsfree bluetooth kit built into my car, and it pauses the music playing to receive calls and such. However, with my N900, any sound whatsoever (SMS, email, OS) will pause my audio and switch to the phone. I'd rather not have it do that. Can we switch the Audio Out to BT to only do calls? I don't deal with A2DP or even the 3.5mm jack in the car; I'd just like to be able to make and receive calls with little disturbance.

Ever since the new firmware this issue I reported has been fixed. I can now leave my headset on all day and still hear my ring tones and text tones. I haven't heard of any app or way to configure the audio manually to the desired output which would be nice but for now I'm just glad the bug is fixed.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
I'm still experiencing this issue on the latest firmware. ALL audio (music, application sounds, etc) is ALWAYS routed over bluetooth handsfree device, even when wired headphones are connected. This results in the handsfree device battery running down much faster than usual, since the N900 routes any sound to it.

Oh, sorry, I guess I should clarify. My main complaint was only related to ring tones, text tones, alarm tones, and other system sounds going through bluetooth. Music will still go through my headset so I have to shut off my headset in my car but I'm still just glad the system sounds are fixed.

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ United Kingdom
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I have this exact problem and I can't believe it hasn't yet been fixed. The bluetooth headset profile should never be used to pass through multimedia audio only calls.

It seems that this can be fixed through changing pulse audio routing policies. If someone who is knowledgable about pulse audio could at least point me to some documentation on changing audio routing policies I would be grateful.

Also this has been discussed here and filed as a bug here though for some reason it has been marked invalid even though every other phone I've owned has obeyed the spec and only routed call audio to a Headset Profile device and not system wide audio.

The Following User Says Thank You to Chrisboff For This Useful Post:
I have found that editing /etc/pulse/xpolicy.conf lines 179 to 187

Code:
[device]                                                    
type  = bthsp                                               
sink  = equals:sink.hw1                                     
flags = disable_notify                                      

[device]                                                    
type   = bthsp                                              
source = equals:source.hw1                                  
flags  = disable_notify
to:

Code:
[device]                                                    
type  = bthsp                                               
sink  = equals:sink.hw0                                     
flags = disable_notify                                      

[device]                                                    
type   = bthsp                                              
source = equals:source.hw0                                  
flags  = disable_notify
Results in ALL audio being rerouted to the speakers (including calls) which is not so useful and further the volume cannot be adjusted on the phone while the headset is connected. There must be a more fine grained way of changing this so that multimedia audio is routed to the speakers because already the ringtone is played through the speaker even when the headset is plugged in.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrisboff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 189 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Brazil
Is there a way to do the opposite?

This "bug" has already been adressed by nokia, so all rings and etc would go outside BT, even with BT connected.

I asked about this before http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=75124 , but noone answered. Would you mind to teach me how to force all sounds to go through and only through BT?

Anyway, thank you for pointing me to the correct direction!

Last edited by Temporal; 2011-08-28 at 18:54.

I don't know how your bluetooth headset works but with mine when I receive an incoming call my bluetooth headset plays a tone (not the phone's ringtone) even when my phone is on the silent profile.

If you realy would like to hear systemwide audio then you should get a2dp bluetooth headphones which have much better sound quality than a standard headset.

The Following User Says Thank You to Chrisboff For This Useful Post: