Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
No the Skype is only for voice....
We have no confirmation if there'll be vid-chat at launch, despite there being a freaking camera.
Hence my request to ask them about: XMPP+Jingle(MUJI), Skype vid, or both.

I reckon we won't have it at launch....
But if Nokia's feeling generous/competent, we might get it with a major update later
If something isn't there at launch, don't count on it. (ala Flash 10 update for N900, Nokia's numerous WONTFIX/FIXED IN [next OS] to security fixes/bug fixes/new features, etc) Nokia seems pretty intent to push something out and then summarily ignore those customers as much as they can get away with.

Originally Posted by volt View Post
Cause that happened with the N900 and N810? Front facing camera: check. Video chat: technically possible. Wide spread usage? No, too difficult to find someone whose setup were accidently & briefly compatible.
This! Exactly, this!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by volt View Post
Cause that happened with the N900 and N810? Front facing camera: check. Video chat: technically possible. Wide spread usage? No, too difficult to find someone whose setup were accidently & briefly compatible.
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
This! Exactly, this!
I've used skype video chat on the N900 quite some times... Not my problem that people can't leave their house too while doing so.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
We have no idea on what sort of scale that's happening on the commercial side, as nokia won't say anything.
If it's anything like the community side, then it's a joke....

If Nokia was very serious about delevoping apps for MeeGo, we would've seen far more evidence to support that by now.
It would've been far more wide-ranging, larger-scale, & vocal, & it would've started way before the official anouncement on Jun 21st.
I've seen little to suggest they're really "hard-core" about it, I see your point, but I'm very skeptcial.

Yes there's a push, but it could hardly be seen as serious, better than the N900, but not nearly enough in todays market.
Still that might be just enough for it to be more sucessful than the N900, & for us to have a better experience than we had there.
And that's all I'm hoping-for really at this stage, it's never going to become the next iPhone...

At least it seems to be getting more momentum than the N900 at the same stage, thanks to Qt underpinning everything now.
Nokia is a joke in case of N9 but its upto the symbian app devs to decide if they want to make some extra money and support n9 wihoujut any extra work.

hell its VERY easy to just click "compile for harmattan" in qtcreator.

btw. new release of qtcreator/qt and qatsdk came today

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
If something isn't there at launch, don't count on it. (ala Flash 10 update for N900, Nokia's numerous WONTFIX/FIXED IN [next OS] to security fixes/bug fixes/new features, etc) Nokia seems pretty intent to push something out and then summarily ignore those customers as much as they can get away with.

This! Exactly, this!
about flash dont come say oldest androidphones has latest flash support. (like crapy htc nmagic that was released same year as n900)

and about support:

this depends on what libs where talking about. give me one reason QT(Quick)/webkit iterations wouldnt be supported same way as symbian!?

again dont compare n900 with n9 hell its big difference in case of framework.

atleast nokia has better control on qt than they had with "patched gtk over hildon".

same goes for apps...

only reason to not support n9 is if people totally stop buy symbian/harmattam everywhere in favour of WP7 and Nokia decides to rip symbian too... thats unlikely...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Weird revelation... we're bemoaning the lack of information pertaining the Nokia N9, we dislike the WP7 strategy, we wholly dislike Elop.

Yet Nokia's stock price is actually rising, Anna is out, Belle is looming and looking rather well. The Nokia 700 seems to be the next Nokia 5800 in terms of sales figures and expectations, and ultimately Nokia isn't failing as bad as we hope/like/thought/whatever.

Not saying that losing 20%+ share is a good thing... but it seems that we're all wanting and betting on a horse (Nokia N9) that we all want to win... but we're in the serious minority it seems.

Perhaps this is why we're being relegated to no definite days for the Nokia N9. Face it, Maemo isn't a real seller. It sold, but hell, the 5800 sold way more. Maemo is a community of geeks that they just don't think will buy into the N9 in record numbers - be honest, we won't buy the N9 because of Aegis security, because it doesn't have a hardware keyboard, because it doesn't look as cool as the Nokia N900 or because we're smart enough to figure out that it may be the end of the line (something a regular consumer wouldn't care about mostly), because we can't find it, or insert whatever reason you have - diehards are excluded.

The more I look at things from this direction, I see why Nokia is pulling the plug on this community. We don't matter.

I see why they kept starting/stopping/restarting the Maemo devices, OS et al. Because they could because no matter what they do, we'd complain. We'd say we were up to the task to make better... but so far, even that's never happened.

Things like the CSSU, et al... they're great things. But once new devices were given out, silence from most of those blokes. They jumped ship to Meego.com without a notice given for the most part. We're stuck with vocal trolls, geeks with hidden goals and more iPhone/Android/WP7 talk then desire for whatever Nokia will come up with next.

I think if more people bought the N900, perhaps they'd pay attention. But as it stands, what do they stand to lose? 100k customers? Quite a few shades less than million customers? About 10k forum cruisers? They're targeting the next billion.

Just thinking outside the box. Disagree or agree... I'm at least trying to figure out why nothing has been said so far in terms of definite dates, advertising or much of anything.

At least they showed it once. Thanks Nokia for that. I enjoy that bone you threw us.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I'd be amazed if we don't have definite dates for most places by Sep30.
And actual availability for many places in Sept, October, & November.
If we don't, I might just buy into parts of your theory....

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-09-01 at 22:50.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I'd be amazed if we don't have definite dates for most places by Sep30.
And actual availability for many places in Sept, October, & November.
If we don't, I might just buy into parts of your theory....
Dude, Maemo doesn't mean anything to Nokia, not now.

And even when it did... they put a very small, but dedicated group of engineers on it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Nokia is a joke in case of N9 but its upto the symbian app devs to decide if they want to make some extra money and support n9 wihoujut any extra work.

hell its VERY easy to just click "compile for harmattan" in qtcreator.
This is not the case. Even with Qt Components, there are several components that are specific to either Symbian or Meego-Harmattan. The workload is reduced, but unless your application is 'hello world', it's not as simple as clicking a button.

Some examples:

1. PageStackWindow component not available in Symbian.

2. Label component not available in Symbian

3. InfoBanner component has different methods in Symbian than the Meego-Harmattan equivalent.

4. Sheet component not available in Symbian.

5. Dialog component layout/behaviour is different in Symbian than in Meego-Harmattan.

6. MultiSelectionDialog component not available in Symbian.

7. ListItem component not available in Meego-Harmattan.

8. ListItemText component not available in Meego-Harmattan.

9. ToolIcon component not available in Symbian.

10. Available icons for ToolButton/ToolIcon differ between the two platforms.

11. TabBar component not available in Meego-Harmattan.

12. SelectionListItem component not available in Meego-Harmattan.

My website

GitHub

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Why do you keep complaining that there`s no official release date after this?

http://mynokiablog.com/2011/09/02/no...jor-retailers/

And this?

http://mynokiablog.com/2011/09/01/wi...n-at-nokia-fi/

And even this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLfi3F-lyqk
(For those who don't speak Portuguese, this Nokia executive says that the tentative release was by the end of Q3, but the N9 would definitely be available at the very begining of Q4)

Official sources from Nokia say that the N9 will be released in Australia, Finland and Brazil in October. Isn`t October good enough? Do you really need a specific date to get all anxious and to complain if it's delayed a couple of days (or even weeks)?

This recurrent "there's no release date" complaint sounds a lot like that "Elop said the N9 is the last Meego device" factoid.

By the way, the original release was September 23rd (as we saw at swipe.nokia.se), which means Nokia is going to miss the release date by a month or less.

I know many people here are anxious about the N9, but three months from official announcement to official release is definitely not a long time. The reason why it seems so long is that the last Maemo device was released almost 2 years ago and many of you were expecting the N950 to be released to the general public last year...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pedroesteban For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Originally Posted by pedroesteban View Post
Why do you keep complaining that there`s no official release date after this?

http://mynokiablog.com/2011/09/02/no...jor-retailers/

And this?

http://mynokiablog.com/2011/09/01/wi...n-at-nokia-fi/

And even this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLfi3F-lyqk
(For those who don't speak Portuguese, this Nokia executive says that the tentative release was by the end of Q3, but the N9 would definitely be available at the very begining of Q4)

Official sources from Nokia say that the N9 will be released in Australia, Finland and Brazil in October. Isn`t October good enough? Do you really need a specific date to get all anxious and to complain if it's delayed a couple of days (or even weeks)?

This recurrent "there's no release date" complaint sounds a lot like that "Elop said the N9 is the last Meego device" factoid.

By the way, the original release was September 23rd (as we saw at swipe.nokia.se), which means Nokia is going to miss the release date by a month or less.

I know many people here are anxious about the N9, but three months from official announcement to official release is definitely not a long time. The reason why it seems so long is that the last Maemo device was released almost 2 years ago and many of you were expecting the N950 to be released to the general public last year...

Impatience seems to be the rule on these boards. Poor Elop, barely a year on the job and they expect miracles.....

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????