I sold my Axim X50v and was happy to bid good riddance to the execrable Windows Mobile OS. As a device it was OK, but it's a shame I wasn't able to replace the OS with a stable Linux. That situation may have changed, I haven't checked in a long time.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
I sold my Axim X50v and was happy to bid good riddance to the execrable Windows Mobile OS. As a device it was OK, but it's a shame I wasn't able to replace the OS with a stable Linux. That situation may have changed, I haven't checked in a long time.
Nah. They're still listed under limited compatibility for Linux.

Am I the only one who thniks that Beni is just trolling around?
At least ten people pointed to him why is the Axim not a better device than N800, but his God is still better than ours. 16 hours on 3300mA? Come on man... DO this mean that I could get 8 hours with mine 2200mAh?
Reviews say that even with the 1100mAh battery, you can get 6 hours of battery life with standard usage. I have a source if you like... a 3300mAh battery is 3 times that.. so 14 to 18. So I'd say 16 average.

And the biggest point about Broadcomm firmware... This is as much a hack as enabling AD2P and the other (excuse me, for two years with various devices I have used BT no more than 2 hours, so I don't know the terms) A*** something thing. The default Microsoft stack couldn't even pair with my GPS?!
Dunno, was your GPS bluetooth? If so, it should've paired nicely, but I dunno.

I think I already stated it, but in the best case WM is dualtasking, if even not multitasking. I know, you will jump to say "I am using xxx, yyy, zzz and www programs right now".
Which device were you using?

WM is obsolete. It has been such for some years. Microsoft admits that. The user community admits that. Codename Photon is planned for Q1 or Q2 of 2008 and should bring the refresh needed for the last 3 or 4 years. But how long it would take it to appear on devices? Then how long would it take it to the developers to start building apps for the new platform? And Maemo has started gaining it's momentum long time ago.
Is WM is obsolete, are you saying Maemo is "better"? That must be a joke. I'm not saying its better or worse, I'd say its on the same tier.

So in summary use your obsolete device, with it glitches, worship it as the best piece of consumer electronics ever sold and let us die silently "struggling" with the Maemo platform.
When did I say Maemo is bad? You people really like being ignorant. *sigh*.

I upgraded my Axim X50v to N800 and I do like N800 much more (my wife has my old x50v now). I can understand though that if you need mostly PIM, then X50v or any WinMobile based device would be a better choice.
True

I do have an extended battery for X50v and in my experience battery life in N800 with wifi on is much better than on X50v even with extended battery. However it is not too important for me because I did not see much point in enabling wifi on x50v - browsers available for x50v just suck and I did not bother trying to surf on x50v most of the time.
The N800 has much better battery options yes. Not all the WM browsers are bad. PIE sucks though. Alot.

Over the 3 years I used my X50v I bought a few application, but all the functionality I got is available for free on Maemo: omweather lets me download/preview weather, maemo browser is way better than commercial opera, and maemo interface does not need third-party desktop managers I had to buy for x50v to hide ugliness of WinMobile.
Weather is free on WM too? Maemo Browser is Opera... unless you are talking about OS2008 which is Mozilla Browser, which sucks. (Compared to Opera). Maemo wasn't that good looking to me, and neither is WM. (Both look like "crap" to me).

. I never could find a free map software for WinMobile such as MaemoMapper and I could not justify wasting $200+ for mapping software I do not really need that much. I never could find an email client for WinMobile which could connect to my home IMAP server where I have a couple dozen of folders with few thousand messages in each, and claws mail on maemo does it just fine.
Doesn't WM have a built in Mail client? Even so, there are plenty of mail clients. Claws Mail sucks because it doesn't open automatically and there is no way to have built in intergration. Whats the point of mail if you have to manually open the thing? Might as well just go to the Web Mail client. The built in mail client on the N800 was more then enough for me.

Bottom line is - you like WinMobile device - go for it, but there is no point in trying to convince it is better for everyone. We have been there, done that and know that it is not for us.
Thats not what this thread is about anyways. I never asked anyone of you to come in this thread. So you guys knew what to expect. So don't complain <_<

I think I already said which devices I had used. In short here is my signature from another forum:
Dell Axim X5 + 1GB SD => iPaq rx3115 + 1GB SD => Dell Axim X30Mid + 2GB SD => Loox610BT => Dell Axim X51v + 2GB CF => Nokia N800 + 2GB SD => Toshiba Portege 3500 ТabletPC => Gigabyte U60 UMPC + 2GB SD + USB FLoppy
And about that "Reviews say that".... Dude. I say that 6 hours is impossible. And I had been using the device for hmm... 8 months.
6 hours would be possible at 208Mhz, blanked screen with ocasional switching the playlist and only MP3 playing.

Beni stated on this page:
>>When did I say Maemo is bad? You people really like being ignorant.<<

Compare p.2 #6, where he stated:
"Maemo has really been crappy IMO. I could say the same thing about what you have said and apply it to Maemo. Being "open source" is irrelevant really when its being crappy."

Ch8xy, I thought you said no... more... talk... (laughing with you, not at you, BTW, I also promised myself not to post again. I'd have only 1 post in this thread, i promised me.)

Beni, i know stats are seductive, but before you spend your $$$ I wonder if you can get a trial run, because these other folks who have had the device don't seem to agree with the specs. I realize (because I do the same) how seductive superior specs can be, and you just have to see for yourself, but maybe you can get a hands on first?

Is there someone on the Aximsite board who might have one near you?

Originally Posted by ch8xy View Post
Beni stated on this page:
>>When did I say Maemo is bad? You people really like being ignorant.<<

Compare p.2 #6, where he stated:
"Maemo has really been crappy IMO. I could say the same thing about what you have said and apply it to Maemo. Being "open source" is irrelevant really when its being crappy."
I guess you missed the "IMO" part eh?

Originally Posted by MoridinBG View Post
I think I already said which devices I had used. In short here is my signature from another forum:

And about that "Reviews say that".... Dude. I say that 6 hours is impossible. And I had been using the device for hmm... 8 months.
6 hours would be possible at 208Mhz, blanked screen with ocasional switching the playlist and only MP3 playing.
Professional reviews or some guy on the internet... hmm?

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Detroit, MI
This is the most ridiculous and humorous debate I have ever seen or read in a forum setting. Don't ask me why. It just is.

PLeBlanc,
Beni disappeared for a while before my last post, so I thought why not give the discussion a proper closure. I guess that was a mistake