Notices

What I'm getting tired of on N900 are the super-duper all-in-one multimedia players.
None of them manages to provide an interface snappy enough or simply "easy to use" especially for people on the go.

So out of all I've seen so far UKMP obviously has the best design and requires the fewest clicks to accomplish playback tasks.

UKMP unfortunately works pretty bad on N900, in my case playback has "noise" and the program crashed in usually under 1 minute.

This is really a shame and I hope to see this project maintained.

Thank you,
Bec

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bec For This Useful Post:
I just found out about this app after reading this thread. It just kept crashing for me, so I had a look at the code and took the liberty of adding some code to stop the crashes (try/catch stuff in MediaCenter.py), and now it works fairly smooth for me. I've uploaded a deb with the fixes, in case anyone's interested. To try it out, just install ukmp from the repo first (this will install dependencies), and then install this package.

It has a sleek ui, and portrait support is a big plus. WIth a bit of polishing, I think it would be a nice replacement for the stock media player.

UPDATE: I've tried ironing out some more bugs and uploaded a package with these fixes. I've also disabled the mouse (I found it annoying imho) and set it to start in up in windowed mode (fullscreen wont work on the cssu-hildon-desktop with forcerotation).
Attached Files
File Type: deb ukmp_03092011.deb (245.3 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by ut0p14n; 2011-09-03 at 16:02.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ut0p14n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
Originally Posted by ut0p14n View Post
I just found out about this app after reading this thread. It just kept crashing for me, so I had a look at the code and took the liberty of adding some code to stop the crashes (try/catch stuff in MediaCenter.py), and now it works fairly smooth for me. I've uploaded a deb with the fixes, in case anyone's interested.

It has a sleek ui, and portrait support is a big plus. WIth a bit of polishing, I think it would be a nice replacement for the stock media player.
Hmm I will take the risk to install this and post my feedbacks. The UI is very tempting!!!

By the way, the link you posted does not work. Maybe you are talking about this thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...e+Media+Player

Last edited by Boemien; 2011-09-02 at 13:11.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boemien For This Useful Post:
I tested the app, it seems to be a good altenative to the stock media player but it keeps on crashing when i want to select an album. first many dependencies was missing and I had to install them by apt-get -f install.
Then the app crashed when searching for albums. after searching for album, it scroll smoothly but when clicking on an album it crashes.

here is an overview of the terminal when i run the app:

Code:

songItems[0] doesnt exist
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/ukmp", line 28, in <module>
    main()
  File "/usr/bin/ukmp", line 25, in main
    MediaCenter.main()
  File "/usr/bin/MediaCenter.py", line 4081, in main
    all.update()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pygame/sprite.py", line 399, in update
    for s in self.sprites(): s.update(*args)
  File "/usr/bin/MediaCenter.py", line 2113, in update
    setAlbumContentView()
  File "/usr/bin/MediaCenter.py", line 3210, in setAlbumContentView
    songlister.setAlbum(artArray[targetAlbum].image,albumArtistArray[targetAlbum], albumArray[targetAlbum],targetAlbum)
  File "/usr/bin/MediaCenter.py", line 885, in setAlbum
    self.songItems[i].setSong(sorted, idArray[i], albumId)
IndexError: list index out of range
~ $
And it seems that the application downloads automatically Album covers when connected to the Net!

Last edited by Boemien; 2011-09-02 at 14:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to Boemien For This Useful Post:
unfortunate that it seems riddled with run-time probs...I'll have a look at it ..

Banned | Posts: 695 | Thanked: 308 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ originally pakistan ,now in china
i wish if cepi perez could offer any help ,he has been quite close to the OMP project so he might be a decent node for this project ..between it looks great .some one just need to polish it a little further .

Posts: 536 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Russia
hey is the deb file in this thread working? or is it crashing like the one in the repos? the album when i select it crashes. so is the deb file fixed n it works?

ut0p14n said that he fixed the deb to solve the crashes but I've installed it and i'm facing some crashes. As I did not test the one in the repos, i can't confirm if it's the same deb or a fixed one.

@Boemien & @zurrain101 : I've uploaded a newer version, hopefully it should not crash now (edited my first post). To avoid dependency issues, it's easier to first install ukmp from the repos (this will install all the deps automatically), then install the modified package. Hopefully this version should work for you.

Btw, after clicking an album to show its songs, touching the song doesnt seem to respond too well. For me, pressing somewhere to the left of the song entry seems to respond better.

Last edited by ut0p14n; 2011-09-03 at 14:30.

Originally Posted by ut0p14n View Post
@Boemien & @zurrain101 : I've uploaded a newer version, hopefully it should not crash now (edited my first post). To avoid dependency issues, it's easier to first install ukmp from the repos (this will install all the deps automatically), then install the modified package. Hopefully this version should work for you.

Btw, after clicking an album to show its songs, touching the song doesnt seem to respond too well. For me, pressing somewhere to the left of the song entry seems to respond better.
So what do I do now that I've installed the previous you uploaded??? Do I have to uninstall it before installing the new version or just overwrite the existing installation??