Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Actually... not really. I'm not stupid enough to say otherwise. But what kills me... OMAP while a beast, I've never seen anything graphically on it that made me just go "holy ****" - whereas I've seen some rather impressive things on Exynos, Tegra, Hummingbird, et al.
To me, Tegra2 is much worse than OMAP or any other Cortex ARM8 or 9 SoC's due to its weak multimedia capability. (especially pointing to high profile H264 video support) OMAP 4430 used on LG Optimus 3D is as fast or faster than Galaxy S2 in terms of 3D graphics and runs all the same games. So there is no real difference. It's just that OMAP isn't used as much as Tegra2 or Qualcomm right now that's all. But that doesn't mean it's less capable at all.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
nokia 801 running..................
http://www.youmobile.org/blogs/entry...ed-qHD-Display
Looks like a digital mock up, in my opinion.

The Following User Says Thank You to pedroesteban For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
Again who said anything about it being the norm? Like I said his comparison showed more common sense than you comparing it to ice at a restaurant, next you'll be telling me cars should come with free unlimited refills. No I wasn't insulted since it wasn't even aimed at me but to be honest I don't know how you make it "in real life" without showing any decency. Nevertheless, I get by just fine with or without your insults.
You brought up an instance of you yourself installing language packs on friend's phones and IMPLIED that it was commonplace. Don't backpedal now, stand by what you wrote. You clearly tried to make it seem as if that was standard procedure. I merely stated to the OP that the likelihood of being charged for a language pack for the N9 was nearly impossible. My comparison to charging for ice cubes in a drink at a restaurant was merely to illustrate how absurd the idea of charging for languages on cell phone is. Clearly, you're too stuck on the fact that I used the word r3tard to actually use any sort of critical thinking to catch that.

Also, his example showed ABSOLUTELY NO COMMON SENSE, as it compared the software of ONE manufacturer to the practices of an ENTIRE industry.

Lastly, your comment about cars has no relevance to this conversation and only serves to illustrate how off base your argument is.

Originally Posted by bequezox View Post
My bad... i forgot that nokia and MS are TOTALLY unrelated... I don't think i can think of anyone else than MS who charges extra for their language packs, i'll give you that. Just a matter of how much Nokia intends to learn from their "mentors"...?
I never said that Microsoft and Nokia were unrelated. But in the example you cited, they are. Microsoft Office is very much unrelated to the discussion at hand. We're speaking of software, on a cell phone, developed and manufactured by Nokia. How on Earth would the N9 be related to Microsoft Office? Yes, Microsoft has a history of charging for language packs for Microsoft Office. I know this. I've had to buy a few in my lifetime. But this isn't about a cell phone manufactured by Microsoft, but by Nokia.

So how about we play a little game. Name all of the cell phones you've ever bought (by any manufacturer) that you've had to buy extra languages for. I'll even let you include those bought by friends and family just for kicks. If the answer is more than 3, I'll buy you an N9.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
To me, Tegra2 is much worse than OMAP or any other Cortex ARM8 or 9 SoC's due to its weak multimedia capability. (especially pointing to high profile H264 video support) OMAP 4430 used on LG Optimus 3D is as fast or faster than Galaxy S2 in terms of 3D graphics and runs all the same games. So there is no real difference. It's just that OMAP isn't used as much as Tegra2 or Qualcomm right now that's all. But that doesn't mean it's less capable at all.
So far, you somehow took my rant about modern 3D games and made it about video. Too bad the N900 with OMAP couldn't play higher than 720p mkv files without dropping frames - if it could play those files at all.

For the record, video != 3D graphics.

The chipset capabilities, while tied together, are not intrinsically connected in regards to 3D graphics and video. Dedicated chips can help with decoding of video. Good drivers can promote 3D gaming. So far, neither were truly evident on the OMAP based N900.

I get what you're saying, but being capable versus having enough put in place to entice more than just one developer to perhaps think about doing it are two different things.

The stuff I've seen on the N900, in terms of modern 3D gaming - and I don't mean ****ing Quake II - is lagging behind everything else out there for the most part.

Agree that it doesn't equate capability. Disagree on the slide from 3D gaming to video and the N900 wasn't that capable either. I have no idea about the LG though - no experience.

Last edited by gerbick; 2011-09-03 at 23:07.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the explanation gerbick I kinda still don't get it though, the 'NEED' that is. Let me ask another question though

Can't a dev just make the aforementioned games for any platform and it will work well? eg. Windows phone currently has Fruit ninja, and I don't notice any dropped frames for example, and they're all qualcomm
Isn't it a matter of the software optimisation that makes these things work sweetly? at this level i.e the era of 1GHZ minimum standard.
Is it possible that your experience with Tegra was because the particular OS it was being used on was simply optimised for Tegras?

The Following User Says Thank You to hotnikkelz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by unfuccwittable View Post
You brought up an instance of you yourself installing language packs on friend's phones and IMPLIED that it was commonplace. Don't backpedal now, stand by what you wrote. You clearly tried to make it seem as if that was standard procedure. I merely stated to the OP that the likelihood of being charged for a language pack for the N9 was nearly impossible. My comparison to charging for ice cubes in a drink at a restaurant was merely to illustrate how absurd the idea of charging for languages on cell phone is. Clearly, you're too stuck on the fact that I used the word r3tard to actually use any sort of critical thinking to catch that.

Also, his example showed ABSOLUTELY NO COMMON SENSE, as it compared the software of ONE manufacturer to the practices of an ENTIRE industry.

Lastly, your comment about cars has no relevance to this conversation and only serves to illustrate how off base your argument is.
No, that was your own daft assumption. Nowhere did I imply it was the norm i.e commonplace. In fact I have questioned this straw man of yours 3 times now with no answer from you. You however said it will never happen and never has. I merely said and provided proof that your belief:

NEVER IN THE HISTORY OF CELL PHONES HAVE USERS EVER HAD TO PAY FOR THEIR SPECIFIC LANGUAGE
was unfounded and you should refrain from insulting others with your ignorance. The only person backpedaling from your own argument is you. It's clear that I've hit a nerve so I will pull out of this conversation that is going nowhere.

Last edited by Cue; 2011-09-04 at 01:36.

Originally Posted by hotnikkelz View Post
Can't a dev just make the aforementioned games for any platform and it will work well? eg. Windows phone currently has Fruit ninja, and I don't notice any dropped frames for example, and they're all qualcomm
Isn't it a matter of the software optimisation that makes these things work sweetly?
Yes, I could... and tend to do that anyway. What would be a hindrance is if I had used say OpenGL ES and it's not accelerated or even available to me on another platform. Or if I develop within Unity3D (iOS, web and Android) then I will have to take my models and use them in something else, like .NET for WP7 (DirectX?) - still finding options there, so I'm not the best person to talk about WP7 in terms of development yet to be honest.

The cool thing about a cross-platform tool is that I can pick and choose (sometimes) how it will render. OpenGL ES with high bit/high-res textures looks great but you better have acceleration to push it around - or you have to bake the look or fake the quality in your textures because you're dropping polys.

I've seen the Fruit Ninja on WP7. It actually does slow down a bit compared to my Xoom HD version. And scarily enough, the iPad HD version beats the Tegra version - especially during the moments when the particles and bonuses start kicking in. On the Xoom, I've noticed that colored lighting on objects is actually better than the iPad... but the particles are missing (it's actually a step or two behind the iOS version as of this response).

I'm all about seeing stuff like Unity3D or CoronaSDK (2D here) on Maemo or MeeGo, but I've never seen any attempt to woo those camps.

And I didn't see any want from the users here for that kind of stuff - so it wouldn't quite make sense for them to port it anyway.

Does that mean that it's not possible - I'm just one dude that tinkers in this stuff and has fun. But once you start forking into different frameworks and whatnot, they all have positives and negatives. But on Maemo, the frameworks never materialized.

Qualcomm isn't a bad platform for WP7; it's not dual core.

...at this level i.e the era of 1GHZ minimum standard.
Is it possible that your experience with Tegra was because the particular OS it was being used on was simply optimised for Tegras?
I have to say that the tools present is my biggest reasoning. Then the way it's utilized by the OS. Android on Tegra isn't optimized. And after my Mango update on my Dell Venue Pro... WP7 showed me that it could optimized a bit more - it got rather swift on just a simple update to Mango, same hardware.

The MeeGo/Maemo Harmattan OS is indubitably optimized for OMAP. But the biggest problem for me is that if I wanted to do more than create an application and make a game: Flash/Flex/AIR, Unity3D (iOS, Android, Mac, Windows, PS3, Wii, XBOX360, web - but not Linux), CoronaSDK and a few others I've historically used... I'm SOL.

And I've yet to find something to replace it for Maemo/MeeGo. And honestly, I don't have time (or ability) to roll my own 3D engine out.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by bwalter View Post
World-of-mouth marketing is extremely powerful. I don't know if it will be enough for the N9, but something to take into account...
I think you meant 'word of mouth' (heheh.. world of mouth). And yeah--that's done wonders for Maemo so far, eh? :P Especially after so many of us have gotten burned and upset over the lousy treatment we got after trying to call Nokia support--after the incredibly bad experience of buying a product to ship off for about a month to come back either not very well repaired or comes back as a whole different model, and not even a newer Maemo device--after everything Nokia has done for Maemo and all it HASN'T done but made it sound like they would (open source requesting system, Flash support which has turned useless now, etc.).

Oh yeah--word of mouth is going to work WONDERS for a company like Nokia with its track record for lack of communication and blunders.

Originally Posted by delmar View Post
http://www.kli.org/tlh/phrases.html
Sadly--not supported by Nokia's Klingon hating racists!

Fear what you dont get my point thats the problem.And about droid was this phone actuallöy released 2009!? AFAIK HTC magic is not supported with latest android version.
Yes. Motorola Droid was release October 17, 2009.

Personally I dont give a **** if the reest of the world goes Android.. I just want "open as possible" alternatives to Android. Just make me wonder whoom is most affraid?
I completely agree about openness, and I'm waiting for someone to do it right--but it's hard to be afraid when I still keep getting updated software and support--even the latest 10.3 version of Flash. You seemed afraid at the very mention of that. Why did you have such a reaction?

But if everyone thinks like you and over and over talks about how Android is "sooo good" it ends same way as with Microsoft in the 90:s means there will be no alternatives.
Because it HAS been a pretty good experience. I *HAVE* been hoping to have a BETTER experience, but Nokia (which seemed like the most promising potential) turned out to be an enormous disappointment. MeeGo was a VERY hopeful change to a less monocultural open platform with LESS of that closed-source that ruined Maemo... aaaaand that seems to be falling flat on its face too--most of that seems to be thanks in great part to Nokia's move to halt participating in MeeGo and leaving Intel holding the bag.

Personally I prefer what I want not what the masses says I shall use.
The masses aren't the reason to use Android--otherwise Apple would STILL be the champion... and it's quickly losing ground to customizable and far more forgiving, open and flexible Android.

But its seems more like your android is fearing this and thats why I is seen as a naive "fanboy" which is totally baseless ********.

So my point is I like Qt(Quick) I like Debian based dist like Meego Harmattan and I am sure the geeks can make N9 as an cool alternative to the open Android community even if we will be fewer people.
Like I said, to summarize: it's hard to feel fear if you're the one on top and feeling well supported with updates. I'm not sure it's the Android people that are fearing so much as reveling and discussing in the myriad of applications, accessories and customizations available. I've never seen so much participation in the Nokia camps in all these years as I've seen just in the past TWO years since dabbling in the Android communities.

So I come back to my question: Why are you so afraid that someone else points out they're getting updates on a piece of hardware as old as yours, while you've been relegated to orphaned (beyond discontinued) status by your manufacturer, distributor, first-party as well as third party commercial developers and community?

Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
Ericsson thinks clearer than most of you on this board
Gerbick thinks clearer than ALL of us. ALL HAIL THE HYPNOGERBICK!

Originally Posted by bbin View Post
Originally Posted by Stonik View Post
An electronics store worker posted to a Finnish tech site forums today, that they just got two demo units of N9. Sales begin this month.
I bet the pessimists can turn even this into something negative
Utt! See! They finally have to unload themselves of their unwanted, overpriced inventory!

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Angry fanboys ftw
Shhhh! I'm trying to read....

Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
A combination of unfinished OS, poor hardware (terrible quality) and the US "market" was the problem.

It is only during the last 12 months that Android has gotten traction, the last 9 is probably more correct. The number one reason is Samsung Galaxy. A true flagship that steams ahead pulling the others. Another reason is Samsung TouchViz UI that shields the average user from the total bull that Android is. Then of course HTC has something to say as well, and a few other successful devices like the X10 mini.

IMO the N9 will be extremely successful. It will be a hit, a cult item even.
Completely ignoring the HUGE influx of new users that the Motorola Droid pulled in almost two years ago.. and then the Droid Incredible shortly after that. :P Motorola and HTC, respectively, by the way--long before Samsung jumped onboard.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Guys, guys, lets all give each other a hug.
Abill_UK... come here buddy...
Simmer down before I make you kiss and make up.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Hypnogerbick? Should I honestly be this afraid?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
EPIC POST hahaha your getting even better than gerbick .

Feel sorry for the people who spend all there days and nights on this thread
people like jaylst etc you all need a life instead of looking for every snippet about the n9 on the internet hahaha.

Meego is dead Maemo is dead and the n9 was dead even before it gets released but it dont stop you crazy lot does it .

Go with it and get a windows phone cos lets face it, aint a lot more to choose from nowerdays so what choices do you have.

This thread has made me finally realise the n9 is not going to make it as a meego phone so my interest has stopped now and moved on to other area's...... something any sensible person will also do.

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????