Active Topics

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Waterloo, Canada
I am trying to use this script to connect to my Blackjack but it doesn't seem to work. It says that my blackjack doesn't support PAN. Is there a way to show what profiles it thinks a device has?

I'm in the exact same boat ... script runs and detects my Blackjack but reports:

org.bluez.network.Error.NotSupported: The service is not supported by the remote device.

This is with internet connection sharing turned on, bluetooth enabled and a dummy adhoc connection set up. Why does bluez think the Blackjack can't support PAN?

Thanks in advance ...

Patrick, Gotcha:

Are you running the Internet Sharing application on your Blackjack? This application has to be running for PAN to work with the Blackjack.

The application is not on the menu, so it's kind of a pain to get to. There are two popular ways to get to it:

Method 1

a) Select Start -> Applications -> File Explorer. This will start the File Explorer app.

b)File explorer usually starts in "\My Documents", so select "Up" to get to "\" (also called "My Device"). Scroll down to the "Windows" folder and select it.

c) Once you select the "Windows" folder it may take the Blackjack a few seconds to display the files in the folder. This is normal - there are a lot of files in the Windows folder.

d) Scroll down to "Internet Sharing" and press "OK". This will start the Internet Sharing app.

Method 2

a) Select Start -> Applications -> Smart Search

b) Type "Internet Sharing" in the "Find" text box.

c) Select "Go" and wait...

d) When the search is complete, scroll down to "Internet Sharing.lnk" and select "Open"

Once you're in "Internet Sharing" make sure "PC Connection" is set to "Bluetooth PAN" and select "Connect"

Once you've done that, try running the script again. It should now see PAN support on the Blackjack.

I'm using PAN with my N800 and Blackjack, although I'm not using this script. I'll try this one out next time I have some free time.

Yeah, I have internet sharing working ... if I turn that off that my device isn't found at all.

I believe the problem is in the n810 thinking that the blackjack can't support bluetooth PAN, when it can and does. This makes me think that the n810 is doing some non-standard PAN stuff.

Is there any way I can revert to pand and the more fully featured bluez-utils in OS2008?

I copied the pand binary from OS2007 into my OS2008 install (I think it's /usr/bin, but I don't remember for sure) along with the connect scripts I was using for OS2007. That's how I'm making mine work.

I'll have to try out this script this evening and see if I have the same results you do.

--

I just realized you said you're using an N810 - so my method probably won't work for you.

Last edited by insane131; 2007-12-13 at 19:34.

Ok. I got a chance to try it.

Try changing the line that says PAN_ROLE=GN to PAN_ROLE=NAP (line 23 or so).

Apparently the Blackjack only acts as a network access point and not a GN controller.

I also modified my script to use dhcp per fanoush's earlier post.

It seems to work quite well. I think I'll use this method instead of the hack I'm using now.

The Following User Says Thank You to insane131 For This Useful Post:
I did try the script (by Fanoush) and tried changing the profile to NAP from GN.
Still no go on my N810.

Is there something that different in a N800 with OS2008 and a N810 with OS2008 that while it seems to work for N800 users it doesn't work for N810 ?

When I run the script on the N810 with Internaet sharing on on the Blackjack, the bluetooth icon turns blue for a sec and then white agains and disconnect on the N810.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
I did try the script (by Fanoush) and tried changing the profile to NAP from GN.
You may also try to reboot your tablet if you do this change after you already run it. Only first time you run the script after boot the NAP/GN parameter is effective. Then already created NAP/GN connection is reused and editing script does not change it (until reboot).

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Oh, thanks for that Tip.

Thats does make sence now... I will retry the whole thing today agaisn at home - after the rebot.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Espoo, Finland
Hello everybody,

Interesting thread, great to see that this is apparently working on the OS2008 as well. I'd love to get this going as well and was actually quite disappointed to see that my new N810 didn't allow me to just pair with a Bluetooth computer and set up network connections through it similarly to setting up WLANs and 3G phone connetions (which were both superbly done in my opinion, really easy and fast, absolutely great interface). Seems like this is the only common connection type I can think of that lacks easily installable support.

Anyway, I use WLAN at home and 3G on the road but this would be most helpful at work (where there's no WLAN but my Windows XP machine has a bluetooth dongle). I know the answers to how to get this going in OS2008/N810 are here in this thread with links to other posts but, at the risk of being interpreted as being too lazy to read through everything, here goes my humble request: could somebody who has this working with the N810 (or N800 with OS2008, I suppose) please write a complete how-to from the start? I think it'd be very helpful for many of us since it looks like this involves running scripts and doing some other non-trivial tasks first, as well, such as enabling "becomeroot" (right?) and such, which not everybody has done yet.

It'd really be very helpful for all of us "tablet newbies" to have someone lay out the steps required for this on the N810 side and what to select on the computer side for the few most common OS's around (such as XP and Macs, I saw Debian instructions already somewhere so that probably goes for Ubuntu). I don't mind looking around for answers on the forums to problems and will most likely try to enable this later with the help of this thread when I get the time, but this clearly seems like an area that might benefit from a new, clear "how-to" that summarizes the steps needed (preferably written by somebody who truly understands the steps and adds a sentence or two to explain them, I myself will mostly just be copying down commands when I do it ).

I truly do appreciate the work everybody's done to enable this so I hope this request for a how-to will not be interpreted as complaining, that is really not my intention at all. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to BatPenguin For This Useful Post: