Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by IcyMoustache View Post
Samsung can still build bada on top of Meego core??
In theory yes. But what good would that do. You would double the RAM requirements, half the battery time, quadruple the SSD/flash requirements, make it slower, and everything would be developed at snail speed.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
In theory yes. But what good would that do. You would double the RAM requirements, half the battery time, quadruple the SSD/flash requirements, make it slower, and everything would be developed at snail speed.
Funny because building an UI from scratch and adding a full set of API on maemo did not seem that hard, so I fail to see how it would be difficult to do the same on top of pure MeeGo. But agreed that meego has high hardware requirements.

hey BADA is not doing all bad. is outselling wp7 worldwide.

if meego was ready as in it was presented in 1.1

it would be better than all OS, including webOS, sadly development going slow.

The Following User Says Thank You to jo21 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
Funny because building an UI from scratch and adding a full set of API on maemo did not seem that hard, so I fail to see how it would be difficult to do the same on top of pure MeeGo. But agreed that meego has high hardware requirements.
Samsung officially say that Bada can run on top of Linux, so they certainly already have something going on. IMO Samsung need software know-how, not just some OS the can tinker with. They have to think much larger than MeeGo, but it could be one step on the road.

I don't really care about the MeeGo sidestep, I think Nokia was doing fine with Maemo. What I never really understood is why they were so half hearted and slow about it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Ari Jaaksi said it. Symbian was like a religion within nokia. Everything was second to symbian. Easy to understand what kind of problems the maemo/meego team was facing all the time.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
But just consider the resources Nokia, more than anyone else, has put into R&D... They could cut a couple of prototypes and make a single model at least twice a year, and it would only compliment Symbian. Especially as they were drawing up the Qt synergy strategy a couple of years ago, they should have put the Maemo experience to use. Instead it was like 'and hey, maybe somebody might port something to MeeGo too...?'

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
there was and still isn't any rationale behind what Nokia has done and is doing. End of story.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Samsung officially say that Bada can run on top of Linux, so they certainly already have something going on. IMO Samsung need software know-how, not just some OS the can tinker with. They have to think much larger than MeeGo, but it could be one step on the road.
Question is, can bada sdk compete at all with Qt sdk? As far as I know its pure c++ without any declarative UI language or the extensive tools of Qt. Samsung may be better served with becoming a major Qt contributor. I guess the bada os team would fit in nicely.

Maybe the warmth of pee in samsung's pants is already fading away and they want to go back to the good ol' days where hardware manufacturers controlled the software part.

Last edited by Rugoz; 2011-09-07 at 02:29.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Good to see you can FUD with the best of them.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:

Tags
false, no chance of a