Active Topics

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ California
i know theres plenty of us who have usb type gps's, weird that no one's implemented any kind of support for them on the n800 that i can find.. i have a delorme earthmate lt-20 i got for free and would love to forego the expense of buying a bluetooth gps if i could

anyone get something like this to work? seems it's doable for linux as
a whole.. let's get some usb gps functionality huh? i'm willing to do a little extra work to get it going and easily installable for the user.. just please if you have any info or links as far as the process goes post em here and we'll get this started!

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work, just need to compile and load the appropriate module, enable host mode, etc.

In your case, I think you want the cypress_m8 module.

I can try to compile it later for you if you'd like.

Are you running OS2008, or a patched kernel for host mode?

Power could be a problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to kotzkind For This Useful Post:
Posts: 21 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ California
yeah i've heard about the power problem, but im willing to look into whatever options are doable..

os2007 for now.. and yeah cypress_m8 is the module.

do i have to patch or recompile the kernel to enable that module?.. never messed with this lowlevel stuff for the n800 but im willing to try.. maybe i should install the sdk on my box so i can mess with it more

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Australia
Alot of the basic GPS's you can get don't really require a driver for GPSd only the ttyUSB modules and GPDd does all the hard yards.

Well thats what I have found for all the cheap USB GPS's I have used.

-Rip

Originally Posted by truent View Post
yeah i've heard about the power problem, but im willing to look into whatever options are doable..
What with SIRFIII bluetooth mice down in the EUR/$50 range, it probably is not worth while working that out - googling reveals that even the latest generation of USB BT devices are specced for 200-250mA load or worse, so that you'd have to pop in a extra power feeder, at which point you'd have a pretty ugly solution at a price approaching a no-name bluetooth device.

Originally Posted by truent View Post
os2007 for now.. and yeah cypress_m8 is the module.

do i have to patch or recompile the kernel to enable that module?
Yep, no host mode with stock OS2007 kernel.
I think fanoush has a kernel with host mode enabled on his site, you could try flashing that, or install OS2008.

Make sure you back everything up to be safe

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington, DC
I am also very interested in to have usb GPS use with my Nokia, I have read some other posts wihch they were talking about providing extra power to the device, is that something resolved?

If the USB gps works with N800 (IT2008) will the usb can also provide the power to GPS? (I do have my car charger for N800, which I can plug in, if needed), if not then providing power to USB device would be another head-ache.

I do have the maemo setup ready, if somebody need any help. (Its just that I am a initiation with maemo, so you need to tell me what to do )

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Arizona, USA
I am working on a kernel module at the moment. I was able to get it compiled but When I try and load it I get an error saying not implemented during my test. any help would be appreciated. and when I load the module into my n800 I get a file not found error from the .ko module.
the last error might have been just lack of sleep though and me doing something dumb.
I am using os2008 not the newest since I lost my webcam when I tried to load the newest flash image.

I know the n810 has built in gps and there are blue tooth gps uniits but I own 2 delorum usb GPS units and I cant justify buying a bluetooth unit. also when I am driving I use my cell phone to download maps.

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Arizona, USA
yup I got it working
used usb host mode and compiled the drivers. it works great.
when I am done with the .deb I'll post the link.