Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Why would this be fake? From what I hear WP7 phones are right around the corner and the naming scheme seems about right with the recent 600 and 700 models.

Please note that this Nokia 900 has nothing to do with the N900.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:
.... the world has been using windows day to day for more then a decade and the world has not ended yet... talk about exagerration - you are as bad as the iphone religious fanatics

you are one of the reasons why linux are currently a minority system... seriously get out of you little hole and talk to some normal ppl..,

here is a hint - ask mainstream users why they use firefox - do they start talking about the virtues of FOSS ? hah

you are why windows has managed to kick linux *** over and over and over in the consumer space... talk about "they never learn..."

Originally Posted by hans51 View Post
that's the key point
why would anyone want to have ANY device with a proprietary OS if they can have Linux or symbian as a secure safe publicly tested opensource OS

weeks ago my old laptop OEM vista from Acer with dualboot (openSuSE + vista) got blocked (vista desktop) by Microsoft Inc for totally fake reason.

imagine you have a microsoft controlled smartphone and want to call an ambulance, your office or family and Microsoft Inc grays out your smartphone desktop and NOTHING works anymore ...

when nokia moves all high end from opensource to Msoft, then bye bye Nokia as a 9 years Nokia-only user.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
.... the world has been using windows day to day for more then a decade and the world has not ended yet...
The problem is that there is a whole spectrum between
"the world ends" and "OMG wtf is this?"
;-)
You'll never know how many billions of dollars are lost worldwide because some windows explorer stops responding in Windows 7 (had that just recently again) *worldwide*.

talk about exagerration - you are as bad as the iphone religious fanatics
In the case of Windows it's not religion.
It's despair.

you are one of the reasons why linux are currently a minority system... seriously get out of you little hole and talk to some normal ppl..,
Linux does not have some real marketing.
Linux is not preinstalled on all desktops and laptops in all
"normal" shops.
And that's where it all starts.
The average Joe does not know about it.

here is a hint - ask mainstream users why they use firefox - do they start talking about the virtues of FOSS ? hah
Backfiring argument:
the people know about Firefox because IE was a nightmare
(although it got better somehow in the last version).
And because people were looking(!) for alternatives.
Which means that your argument "the world has not ended"
was nearly false for these people.
;-)

you are why windows has managed to kick linux *** over and over and over in the consumer space... talk about "they never learn..."
Let's put up some Linux marketing.
Show the people how the window manager disappears on Windows 7 and how this is not the case with Linux.
Install it on all desktops and laptops instead of Windows.

Then wait -say- 5 years.
;-)

Originally Posted by hans51 View Post
that's the key point
why would anyone want to have ANY device with a proprietary OS if they can have Linux or symbian as a secure safe publicly tested opensource OS

weeks ago my old laptop OEM vista from Acer with dualboot (openSuSE + vista) got blocked (vista desktop) by Microsoft Inc for totally fake reason.

imagine you have a microsoft controlled smartphone and want to call an ambulance, your office or family and Microsoft Inc grays out your smartphone desktop and NOTHING works anymore ...

when nokia moves all high end from opensource to Msoft, then bye bye Nokia as a 9 years Nokia-only user.
Because proprietary OS has so many commercial developer support. End of the question

You can't deny the fact that windows(desktop) has the most useful apps ever compared to other OS'. Would like to see at least a decent MMORPG on linux though... Same also with a photoshop alternative for linux. Admit it gimp sux... Can't even make an underlined, italic, or strike through style on their text. Such a basic feature not implemented. But I'm a linux fan haha dual booting linux with windows. Mainly windows for entertainment and linux for development.

The Following User Says Thank You to Radicalz38 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Nokia started recently to give phones just numbers as names
The guy on the video is using a Nokia 600. So I think it's not a Nokia N900 but just a Nokia 900 . Without the "N"

Originally Posted by PMaff View Post
Linux does not have some real marketing.
Linux is not preinstalled on all desktops and laptops in all
"normal" shops.
And that's where it all starts.
The average Joe does not know about it.
A few years ago, I used to work at a computer hardware store. Across the street, was this huge electronics appliances stores, that also sold computers from some government plan. All of them came with a preinstalled linux flavour (developed by a local company). They did a pretty good job. They wrote drivers for some devices, set up repos to keep the systems updated, and charged around 10 bucks to the retailers to have it installed, or you could buy it for around 20-25. The hardware on those pc's weren't high end, and people only bought them cause of the ease of payments (you could have your computer today, and pay around 50 bucks a month for 2 or 3 years) and it seemed like a good deal for people having their first computer. Since the boxes had a distinctive characteristic, with the guys at the store where keeping numbers. From 10 computers sold, 5 crossed the street just after buying it so we could install windows xp, when we asked, they said, we don't understand linux. 3 came the day after, asking us to install windows xp, because they put a cd in it, and couldn't install the software they needed to use. The other 2, came around a week after buying it, because they felt the software available was innadecuate.

Conclusion and TLDR version:

The average joe doesn't want to stick his fingers under the hood, want something to work. And windows (and osx) does just that.

And if you have to talk **** about other products because they don't suit your "belief", then you, my friend, are a fanboy.

Sorry for the off topic.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing_Man For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Man View Post
A few years ago, I used to work at a computer hardware store. Across the street, was this huge electronics appliances stores, that also sold computers from some government plan. All of them came with a preinstalled linux flavour (developed by a local company). They did a pretty good job. They wrote drivers for some devices, set up repos to keep the systems updated, and charged around 10 bucks to the retailers to have it installed, or you could buy it for around 20-25. The hardware on those pc's weren't high end, and people only bought them cause of the ease of payments (you could have your computer today, and pay around 50 bucks a month for 2 or 3 years) and it seemed like a good deal for people having their first computer. Since the boxes had a distinctive characteristic, with the guys at the store where keeping numbers. From 10 computers sold, 5 crossed the street just after buying it so we could install windows xp, when we asked, they said, we don't understand linux. 3 came the day after, asking us to install windows xp, because they put a cd in it, and couldn't install the software they needed to use. The other 2, came around a week after buying it, because they felt the software available was innadecuate.
If 50% just cross the street after buying the computer this shows that they did not even try.
And I guess you did not try to tell them or show them. ;-)

They bought only a machine because "Ey...it's cheap"
(although if you calc 50 bucks each month for 2-3 years,
it may not be. You get more decent machines for 1800 USD.
But this is another story how Joe Average is lured into the
wrong HW/buck constellation),
realized that there is no Windows written on the box as marketing told them that only Windows has to be on the computers.

30% tried to install Windows software on a Linux computer.
Nobody told them that this will fail.
The learning curve is there and if nobody tells them they have to fail. Therefore Linux will fail.

You probably also did not tell them how they can use it,
because when they came to you, you were able to sell.
And what did you sell: Yesss - Windows.

20% came after a week because the installed software did not
fit and of course they only found Windows users in their environment.
"Local Linux flavour" is the main question here.
Whereby a week is strange because if I try a computer with preinstalled software I realize the wrong parts on the same day.

So what is left if you look at the figures in your example are 20% who really tried and failed in the end.
30% had no support (who was able to use Windows at the beginning? Nobody - without learning from someone).
50% were following the marketing dogma from Redmond.

That's why I said:
"Linux does not have some real marketing."
"The average Joe does not know about it."

Conclusion and TLDR version:

The average joe doesn't want to stick his fingers under the hood, want something to work. And windows (and osx) does just that.
In your example the people even did not come so far to
"stick their fingers under the hood".
50% did not even start the machine after buying and came straight to you who installed - Windows(sic).
30% were not supported/could not learn.
20% tried and surely did not stick anything under the hood.

They had no chance.
Linux had no chance in your example.

OSX I do not know. I can't tell.
And even that is Unix under the hood which shows that it works
if you have the correct marketing.

Windows may work in most of the situations that Joe Average encounters.
But even Joe Average may have seen BSODs.
But even Joe Average may have seen explorer "disappearing", "leaving a blank screen" and "coming back with only half of the previous stuff".
But for Joe Average this is "the usual stuff" and "it just happens".
He does not know the difference to an OS where this does not happen.

And if you have to talk **** about other products because they don't suit your "belief", then you, my friend, are a fanboy.

Sorry for the off topic.
I have used computers for 20 years now.
I started with SUN SPARCstations.

The last time I got a Linux computer hanging, was when I changed some driver in the kernel.
That was approx. 5 years ago.
On Windows (even Windows 7) this happens to me every week.
The problem for Windows is: I know that this is not necessary.
I know that there is an OS which does not do that.

So in my case it is not "belief" or "fanboy".
It's everyday usage for 20 years.

Nearly the same for N900 and other phones.
But in this case Windows also fails (currently) because marketing (sic) of the other phones (iPhone, Androids) is better.
It's not that off-topic. ;-)

The Following User Says Thank You to PMaff For This Useful Post:
by Bllamer's own admission m@ke$$h!t's latest poop failed miserably.

like it or not, fanboys

the only reason why LostDOS is the most common OS on consumer PCs is because it comes pre-installed
period.

on some forums, you even come across ppl who bought a N900 (not knowing what they were getting, most likely) asking how they can install ANDroid on it. after long & arduous explaining that the only thing they can install is NITDroid, they usually disappear again, most likely selling the N900 & getting a real ANDRoid device...

same for the PCs, except LostDOS installs on pretty much any x86 box, thus, little room for alternatives, indeed.

on mobile devices, m@ke$$h!t simply doesn't register.
period.
and soon after NOKIA's 1st LostDOS device, Flop will rejoin Bartz in the ranks of failed reformers

nice for us is that we are going to get even prettier Symbian devices and within a year or so a new MeeGo / Maemo device
who kknows, maybe even w/ a HW keyboard ¦-)))))

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 663 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australia (Melbourne/vic) / Lebanon (Zgharta/north)
i don't care if its called nokia the mighty ****ing 100000000000, it doesn't run Meego so its a piece of crap ...

Originally Posted by Radicalz38 View Post
Mainly windows for entertainment and linux for development.
and Linux therefore for work.
Well, we can agree on that one.