Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
If they haven't cut too many features that were present on a vanilla N900,
I doesn't look like that at all to me, if anything there'll be a greater featureset.
Sure the UI is more limited/constricted in some ways, as has been detailed (& countered to some extent).
But in terms of actual functionality, I think we're getting as much, if not more.
But as you said, let's wait & see how it improves, & where it falls down, compared to maemo5.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-09-20 at 15:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
In Mother Russia . > ,!!
And agreed fully, Eldar is a dork.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I smell FUD, oh wait no it's just Eldar.
Synonymous.

In terms of featureset. n9 seems more refined in usability. The thing that it lacks is a true homescreen which will bother most n900 users. It isn't a dealbreaker for me personally..although I can see great value in it. Like you can't instantly call/message a favorite contact right the bat, you might have to go in dialer then do the old school speed dial way f, probably no calender pre-notifications/reminders etc. Little things like that.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
I don't believe Nokia under Elop will be a lot less consumer friendly. And alienating customers with an expensive, buggy "high-end" phone without support is the worst thing Nokia could do. I think they did learn from the Nokia N96 and N97 and won't repeat that in the N9.

btw. I said that I MAY be waiting a bit. If they haven't cut too many features that were present on a vanilla N900, the device is mostly stable and not over 450 euros, I will buy one at launch. Otherwise i will probably wait a bit.

I think Maemo is a great OS, with a lot of original features, that Nokia should be very proud of. MeeGo harmattan is supposed to be the "improved version", we will see when the N9 launches.

What I don't understand is why you are so active in a N9 topic if there is "no way you will buy the N9 personally for yourself."
I think you are tempted !! Come on admit it, the device looks good
There is only one thing i like about it and that is the pure size and thinness of it but i dont like the fact it has no sd slot and a non removeable battery.

Looking at its workshop manual the pcb is tiny in comparison to the N900 and i would not like to be the engineer that has to repair it in any way or form as it looks very tight and compact and i hope they not screwed up again on the usb port haha.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-09-20 at 15:22.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
I think Maemo is a great OS, with a lot of original features, that Nokia should be very proud of. MeeGo harmattan is supposed to be the "improved version", we will see when the N9 launches.
Something people have forgotten way too quickly. The N9/Nokia seem to have moved away from leading the competition to being just another company that copies and polishes the competitions products.

- Swipe seems to be a direct copy from WebOS. Nokia have adapted it and made the whole OS swipe friendly.

- Removed customisation to bring in a dumb home screen. One menu for ALL apps/programs with no folders and no home screens/widgets. Taking Apple's approach but outdoing them in simplicity (as a nokia rep said in a presentation).

- Abandoned Flash - because Nokia realised Apple fans did not care so clearly why bother with this?

- Removed HWKB. VKB is the rave but why do it to limit user experience? I dont care what anyone says a VKB will never be a better option then Hard solid keys. Try typing an essay on your iphone/android tablet etc and then pull out a device with a keyboard. No argument.

- Replaceable Battery/SD Card
- Full sized Sim replaced with micro Sim (no clue why anyone thinks this is a good idea).
- HDMI (Flagship device but no HD output? Apple wont have one so
- why does Nokia need one?)

Just one example of Maemo really standing out from the crowd was:

- Touch anywhere to go back. Simple yet brilliant concept. No need for a hard key to do this. Every new device android/BB release has one but wasnt necessary in the N900. Apple/WebOS have on screen 'back' keys which are usually at the top left - out of reach and requires one to flex and stretch the hand. Wasting time and it takes effort.

I'm not hating on the N9 or starting another "Nokia disappointed me" discussion - I just wanted to highlight how Nokia have lost the way in putting user experience first. We are moving towards a future where we technology allows us to have greater computing power at our fingers on a mobile platform - and turning back on positive developments which enhance the experience is just a no-no for me.

Last edited by afaq; 2011-09-20 at 15:29.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Trotter's Independent Trading get exclusive distribution rights for the N9 in the UK.

No income tax, no VAT,
No money back, no guarantee,
Black or white,
Rich or poor,
These N9s are flying out the door.

My website

GitHub

Last edited by marxian; 2011-09-20 at 15:27.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Nokia N9 Black 16GB $900:
http://welectronics.com/gsm/Nokia/No...FQLBKgodjjRc6w

Nokia N9 Black $700 - Look to be 16Gb. Seller trying to be misleading:
http://www.mobilecityonline.com/wire...mpaign=froogle

Nokia N9 RED 16GB $800:
http://www.cellgsmphones.com/content..._preorder.html

Nokia N9 Black 16GB $705 (Offer blue too):
http://negrielectronics.com/nokia-n9...-unlocked.html

I saw some place at $1000. I will see what Amazon.com has in store on Sept 23rd.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Would be nice if nokia released the white one. Hope for that later.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by afaq View Post
<SNIP>
Yeah sure, but you could spin it an entirely different way.
Where there's negatives, there's still plenty of positives, both hw & sw.
Been over all this territory before, so will let someone else step-in if they want.
Really too tired of us repeating the same things...

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Trotter's Independent Trading get exclusive distribution rights for the N9 in the UK.

No income tax, no VAT,
No money back, no guarantee,
Black or white,
Rich or poor,
These N9s are flying out the door.
Oh your just crazy you are.... bloody typical northern git .

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????