Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by onethreealpha View Post
Telstra (here in Australia) have confirmed with me expected delivery in October. The guy I spoke to was told mid October, however stressed that suppliers refused to give a firm date, so it's still up in the air here.
Having said that, I've been getting flooded (dare i say spammed?) with emails from Nokia about the release, so I'm guessing 2-3 weeks away is probably right.
Harvey Norman (thieving, rip off merchants) are offering the 16gb on preorder for $698aud with a "bonus" free nfc bluetooth headset deal. Interestingly this "pre-order deal" run until 1st November, so my guess is, the big telco's will be getting it first and then the retailers (like Hardly Normal) will follow a couple of week later.
I coulda sworn Optus confirmed 7th the other day?
*EDIT*: Here we go....
http://www.optusbusiness.com.au/mobiles/nokia_n9

God knows why Optus are prioritising SMB customers.
It not like there's going to masses of businesspeople lining-up to get this thing.
Most of the telcos & official retailers are only offering the 16GB, & Vodafone's only offering the 64GB.

If I can't by it outright via local retailers (instead of on contract via telcos) until Nov+.
And it's out earlier anywhere else, then I may be buying it overseas.
I was planning to wait till Nov+, but as we get closer, I get oddly more desperate at wanting it sooner.
**** I hate Nokia, I have a strong suspicion this will be the last ph I buy from them, EVER.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-09-24 at 23:39.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Yes, I have a couple of third-party file managers installed on my N950. They work great, but with the stock browser being closed source, it looks like it will never be possible to perform a simple task like uploading an image file via the browser (unless you use an alternative browser like Firefox, which is OK, but sluggish in performance compared to the stock browser). I suppose Nokia would say that there's 'an app for that'. The problem is that there are many sharing services that will not be supported by plugins or applications, so there is still a need for that functionality IMO.

Nokia, I am disappoint.
Fennec's "sluggish in performance" in what way/s?
Saw story the other day that demonstrated how rendering perf. is better than the "Nokia Browser".
Can't believe this basic functionality isn't in the stock browser, how freaking lame can Nokia get!?

It'd be nice if we could finally freaking hear from jolo right about now.
He was doing performance testing of Fennec/Flash, & even some UI integration work IIRC.
I hope that doesn't mean dumbing Fennec down...

At least some of the file managers are open-source.
But it seems like there may also have to be a re-write of the stock browser's UI.
Farking hell....

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-09-24 at 23:11.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I coulda sworn Optus confirmed 7th the other day?

If I can't by it outright via local retailers (instead of on contract via telcos) until Nov+.
And it's out earlier anywhere else, then I may be buying it overseas.

I was planning to wait till Nov+, but as we get closer, I get oddly more desperate at wanting it sooner.
**** I hate Nokia, I have a strong suspicion this will be the last ph I buy from them, EVER.
I realluy dont get what the hell is wrong with this company.

I mean seriously what the hell do they think?

When Apple releasing some new HW they GIVE A DATE then people sitting outside the shops that day for HOURS wating for it to arrive in sweden it rained like hell when Iphone4 was released and still people stand there.

But Nokia "ohh well lets see maybe we have some phones for u septemebr. Ohh wait sorry first of october. No wait mid of october ohh no not this we where just kidding u haver to wait to end of october... NO WAIT you have to have our nice new WP7 instead its sooooo good you will get a sign from Elop for free"

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
All stock applications are closed AFAIK. It's a disappointment, because whilst most of them are quite nice to use, they are often distinctly lacking in features. It's a shame that they will have to be completely replaced in order to access those features, rather than simply improved.
You know this with 100% certainty, how so?
Anger growing....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Saw story the other day that suggested it renders more quickly etc.
Can't believe this basic functionality isn't in the stock browser, how freaking lame can Nokia get!?

He was doing performance testing of fennec/flash, & even some UI integration work IIRC.

But it seems like there may also have to be a re-write of the stock browser's UI.
Farking hell....
My guess is theyr focusing on the backend first means QtWebkit2 I REALLY HOPE they update the damn browser to support real bookmark, cut&paste and fileupload! Has the N950 devs sent bugreports/featurerequest to http://developer.nokia.com/bugs about this?

If not DOIT I for sure will vote on those bugs!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
OpenWeb is here!

My website

GitHub

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Saw story the other day that demonstrated how rendering perf. is better than the "Nokia Browser".

He was doing performance testing of Fennec/Flash, & even some UI integration work IIRC.

Farking hell....
I don't think there's much in it in terms of rendering performance, though I don't tend to browse script-heavy sites. In Firefox, you get quite a bit of checkerboard when scrolling, the scrolling itself is slightly jerky at times, and menus/dialogs are a bit slow to open. Text re-flow is also a bit slower than the stock browser. It's certainly not terrible by any means, but I would choose the stock browser for general browsing, using Firefox only when I need the extra features.

My website

GitHub

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
extra feature being bookmarks? That's exactly the sort of thing I expect updates to address from Nokia.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by JamesBond@ge View Post
So......can anyone sum this thread up for me in a couple of words?
For the folks who apparently don't understand English very well: A couple means two of something.

A couple of words, then: "N9! ...Maybe?"

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Marxian said that uploading a pic via the browser might not be something out of the box capable.

Being unable to load up a picture to (let's say) Twitpic.com, that is a major function in my opinion and if I can't do it via the browser as I tend to do in other mobile browsers, then I will have to hope that it can do so via other means out of the box.

I find issue with that.
Not to mention Facebook, Google+ and other services where you're supposed to be able to upload photos on-the-fly or where you might be asked to upload your profile image for the service. YAY! Back to the desktop/laptop to do stuff alll the competitors' devices can already do. :P

Originally Posted by afaq View Post
extra feature being bookmarks? That's exactly the sort of thing I expect updates to address from Nokia.
"Extra features" might also mean things like the above--being able to upload to websites. :P Sad.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 235 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Costa Rica
it looks like it will never be possible to perform a simple task like uploading an image file via the browser
An even simpler thing: How to add an attachment in gmail/hotmail?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lsolano For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????