Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Thanks! I was looking forward for this king of comments.
I will play with Xournal on the desktop for a while to see if these problems also are in that version or they only appear on the tablet.
I just worked on the GTK stuff, so it should not be a port problem, but Xournal on the desktop seemed quite stable and functioning..
Let's see if I can figure out things.

Thanks for your report.

Again, one just need to read documentation before starting doing its work, or a lot of time is thrown away.
Read this from the Maemo Tutorial (I am starting to love it):

All maemo applications need to be initialized correctly, or they will not work as expected. One symptom of missing initialization is that application starts from Task Navigator, but closes automatically after few seconds
Guess when Xournal quits ?
Answer: only when run from the menu. If I run it from the terminal it won't shutdown, it stays running and working.

So.. now that I've figured out it's my fault (well I knew that already) and that I know where to look for, I think I'll be able to release a non-quitting version soon.

Stay tuned.

PS: about the PDF stuff, I've noticed problems even on the desktop version. I'll look into that later. I first want to release a fully Maemo compatible version before sending the patches to the Xournal author and dig into PDF annotation issues. Sorry about that.

Ok great!
That was it: I was using 'org.anidel.xournal' in the Name clause of the D-BUS service file and only 'xournal' in the osso_initialize function.

They need to be the same, as explained in the Maemo Tutorial.

I've release version #5 that fixes the 'crashes' after a few seconds Xournal was started.
Go update it and report any other issue you may find.

Thanks!

PS: I would love to see if I could put the changes for each release in the Info that is displayed by the Application Manager when you upgrade a new package. I'll dig into that too.. but now I really need to go back to work.

Enjoy it.

The Following User Says Thank You to anidel For This Useful Post:
Hello,

I figured out what was my biggest problem in PDF anonnation. Somehow OS2008 thinks my memory card is read-only and the pdf where naturally there. So it really wasn't xournals problem.

I tested it again and it doesn't crash anymore. GREAT! Thanks a lot. I would still have few questions though. These are minor things but would add a lot for its usability.
1) Is it possible that when u anonnate pdf it would remember pdf's name and where it is. This would be great. Now it doesn't remember neighter and it is hard if u try to replace the original pdf. The beaty of this software is that u can read pdfs and make notes from them. so it would be natural that u could replace the original pdf.
For example I have a pdf - archive software on my computer and I sync my pdf archive to n800 for reading. When I read I make notes and it would be great to sync them back. This only works if I replace the original PDF file.
If this is impossible would it be possible to see other pdf files when u export to pdf. This way i wouldn't need to copy the right filename from my memory. (and those filenames are long...)

I will test it harder today and post my ideas. This is really beatiful app thanks a lot making it for us.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jussi_K For This Useful Post:
Thanks to you for testing and reporting.
About what your feature request, if you export the annotated PDF to .. PDF will it do what you're looking for ?
As far as I know Xournal can save the annotated PDF as a PDF or as a journal + PDF.
The former means that the exported PDF is a regular PDF, while the latter means that the annotations are saved in a Xournal internal format applied to the original PDF when you open the journal (that is, it should be possible to modify them later).

Hello,

I highlighted just 6 pages long PDF with photos. This tool is superb. But here is the things i noticed
- IT REMEMBERS the name, but for some reason it adds .pdf (1) to the end. I managed to overwrite the original file by simply going to right folder and deleting the .pdf (1). Please if possible try to make it possible to simply overwrite the anonnated pdf as normal option. (think it's the most useful think this app could do, highlight pdfs and save them highlighted).
- This is not a big problem. When u highlight there appears a small yellow box in the end last highlight to show where u are. But when u use arrows to navigate (works great by the way) the small yellow box starts to travel. This is little annoying, but it really is not a big problem.
- Really not a problem, but would be handy. When u read A4 sized documents u want to read them one column a time (text is rather small). This works very well, but when u bus the next page button from the toolbar it goes little wrong. Ideal would be that it would start from top from left corner. However it starts though from top but sadly doesn't correct the left right axis. Again this is a minor problem, but if it's easy to fix it would be nice that it would jump automaticly to the left too.

PDF anonnation works really well. Had some problems with few pdfs (some text was missing from frontpage) (doesnt bother me) but it really dont lose any pages if u wait it to anonnate them (is kind a slow, especially with photos).

Editing highlighting, undoing, moving all work very well.

It is stable!

Exporting works very well, I exported my pdf three times until I figured how to overwrite the original file.

Again thank you many many times. This is an excellent application. If u could make replacing a little easier I would be in heaven

Thank you
Jussi K

edit:

By exporting it export also the notes to the pdf file. Sadly the highlight dont stay in right place. They come little bigger.

Edit 2
Looked the exported pdf more carefully. It really can't match the right place for these highlights i will send u a copy of my pdf with PM. This is naturally a bigger problem and makes pdf anonnation a bit un useful...

Last edited by Jussi_K; 2007-12-18 at 12:32.

Thanks

Some of those issues are related to the desktop version (in particular when reading A4 PDFs).
The yellow box is the cursor (on the desktop it moves around as you move the mouse).
This should be handled by Maemo, I'll see if I can make it disappear in the port.

One of the first fixes was about the annotation feature.
Xournal makes a copy of the PDF into a temp directory. Usually /tmp is the place for these temporary files, but lately even on the desktop the file system when /tmp relies is small. So I changed it, but looks like I'll have to revisit it and double check it when saving, exporting and so far.

just be patient, I am doing this during my working hours.
Again.. thanks

Hello,

Dont use too much time with the cursor thing... it really isn't a problem.

If u somehow could fix exporting that those highlight would stay in right place it would help me and probably others also a lot more...

Hi Anidel,

First of all a big thanks for the port. It makes my n800 finally usable for jotting notes on articles for study. It still crashes randomly though. I found out that if I comment out these lines in /usr/applications/hildon/Xournal.desktop the app is more stable:

X-Osso-Type=application/x-executable
X-Osso-Service=org.anidel.xournal

Are there any downsides to commenting out these lines?

Furthermore the install link seems to be removed from downloads.maemo.

So where do I get libgail-common & libgail18 ??