Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
We need BigBadGuber! to lead the charge there, he will be our fearless leader

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lsolano View Post
Also, I don't feel that people that already bought it, is positively surprised.
Well all people who have bought one and commented here have been loving it.

I pretty much collect phones at the rate i buy them every year and in years time actually using tens of phones i have stopped spec whoring.
My Iphone 4 is smoother than my GS2, not to even talk about GS. Hell my Zune HD with old tegra is smoother than any of my Andoid or Nokia phones.

Apple unfortunately again is the only manufacturer that really is getting it imo. Specs on the phone always mirror the performance of the device. This could not be further from the truth on Android. Though what the specs always bring are things like 1080 playback, better video recording, even on Android.

N9 is niche device Nokia will sell in selected market. There seems to be people who wanna pay the extra amount for it, so let them.
I'm waiting for my ridiculously costly N9 64GB, that costed exactly as much as iphone 4 32GB did for me.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by hotnikkelz View Post
for those that underestimate and dislike Qualcomm. I'm looking at you mikecomputing

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4940/q...t-architecture
Woah WP8 phones might actually be killer if they raise their baseline specs in line with this.
Then again I doubt they'll have WP out & fully supporting this, till at least this time next year.
And what else will be around the corner by then...

Excerpt (conclusion):
Qualcomm has had MSM8960 silicon back in house for the past 3 months and is on-track for a release sometime in the first half of next year. Assuming Qualcomm can deliver on its claims, performance alone would be enough to sell this chip. Improved power characteristics and integrated LTE baseband really complete the package though.
The implications for a 1H 2012 MSM8960 release are tremendous. Android users will have to choose between a newer software platform (OMAP 4 running Ice Cream Sandwich) or much faster hardware (MSM8960). Windows Phone users may finally get a much needed performance boost if Microsoft chooses to standardize on Krait for its Windows Phone hardware refresh next year. End users will benefit as next year's smartphones and tablets will see, once again, a generational performance improvement over what's shipping today. LTE should also start to see much more widespread adoption (at the high end) as a result of Qualcomm's integrated LTE baseband.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Woah WP8 phones might actually be killer if they raise their baseline specs in line with this
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4940/q...architecture/4
Then again I doubt they'll have WP out & fully supporting this, till at least this time next year.
And what else will be round the corner by then...
Looking at the release dates of SOC's people always get hyped about them, but in the end the roll out usually seems to come later than expected.
About 5-10 phones have already rumored to have one of these super SOC's by the time the first actually comes out.

But yeah would love to see how the WP Apollo and the W8 tablets come together and what kind of hw we are going to see there.

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by FranzDages View Post
The correct term here is cornhobble (or cornobble)... to hit with a fish

Thusly, I have duly cornhobbled the rapscallion!
GOOD DAY!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 123 | Thanked: 219 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Confederatio Helvetica
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
You do know that if I cannot get a reasonably priced N9, I'm hunting down a Nexus Prime, right? It destroys the specs on the N9. Hell, I might even chase down an Atrix 2 - non-pentile 4.1 inch qHD screen alone makes it worth it. I love watching movies on my Atrix as is.

Also looking at the WP7 HTC Titan - 4.6 inch Super LCD screen, love the size but I'd wish they'd up the damn resolution past WVGA.

I'm with you. I have been actively following all the hype about the N9... too actively. And what now? We wound up with a pretty outdated hardware, unfinished software and a totally fuzzy distribution and support strategy. Swipe UI is a nice refreshment on the market, and the phone looks really nice and trendy... but that's about it.

What about all the N900 features that make it a dream phone for an average geek? Is there a keyboard? No. Is it at least as open as the N900? No. They even introduced this Aegis thingy to protect the users from themselves. And if the reason for this was to make the phone (and the OS) more appealing to the masses, why don't they at least sell it to the masses?

Then, when it comes to non-geek aspects, what is there besides the great design and Swipe? Can you make video calls? No! That becomes a pretty basic feature nowadays. Does the browser support Flash? No, it does not, although we do know it is there and it works. So it's a management decision. This list would be pretty long if I went on.

And the price? A total rip-off compared to what the competitors can offer.

I really am a geek and support GNU/Linux, FOSS etc. but hey, this is too much. There are too many ifs about this phone and I am not buying it unless a majority (if not all) of them are resolved in our favor. Until then, I prefer to stick to the N900 and/or buy a cheap Android with similar specs and much better support.

edit:
And yes, I forgot... If I ordered the N9 right away, with all the arguments given above, I wouldn't consider myself too different from an Apple fanboy that preorders his new iDevice without even knowing the specs. Actually this is what triggered the alarm in my head.

Last edited by rentze; 2011-10-08 at 21:05.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to rentze For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by xalted13 View Post
Curious What's the most you would be willing to spend for an n9 delivered to your door? Unlike you though i'm at the point where I refuse to buy and android,iphone, or whatever the hell microsoft does.
The Mexican N9 was going to be delivered to me for under $600 USD for the 16gb version.

As far as the rest, and Atrix 2 means OMAP4. The Nokia N9 can't claim that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rentze View Post
I'm with you. I have been actively following all the hype about the N9... too actively. And what now? We wound up with a pretty outdated hardware, unfinished software and a totally fuzzy distribution and support strategy. Swipe UI is a nice refreshment on the market, and the phone looks really nice and trendy... but that's about it.

What about all the N900 features that makes it a dream phone for an average geek? Is there a keyboard? No. Is it at least as open as the N900? No. They even introduced this Aegis thingy to protect the users from themselves. And if the reason for this was to make the phone (and the OS) more appealing to the masses, why don't they at least sell it to the masses?

Then, when it comes to non-geek aspects, what is there besides the great design and Swipe? Can you make video calls? No! That becomes a pretty basic feature nowadays. Does the browser support Flash? No, it does not, although we do know it is there and it works. So it's a management decision. This list would be pretty long if I went on.

And the price? A total rip-off compared to what the competitors can offer.

I really am a geek and support GNU/Linux, FOSS etc. but hey, this is too much. There are too many ifs about this phone and I am not buying it unless a majority (if not all) of them are resolved in our favor. Until then, I prefer to stick to the N900 and/or buy a cheap Android with similar specs and much better support.
everything u complain about its elop fault

yes, n9 is mass market device not sold to a mass market, due elop and microsoft.

now if wasnt for him maybe n950 would be released.

now, windows phone it's certain failure now, it been a year after releases and even bada have better sales.

if nokia isn't as stupid we should they them trying to backtrack, or jumping into android.

backtracking looks painful, now elop practically moved all symbian developers out of nokia, meltemi is a small team, that company doesnt believe in. the trainwreck probably derail in panic in 2012.

elop with the excuse to save cost have turned nokia into microsoft *****.

Last edited by jo21; 2011-10-08 at 21:06.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jo21 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Don't support MS, they destroyed Maemo/Meego.
Well Nokia did most of that, but MS certainly played their part, right at the pivotal time.
Go crazy with the other options though....
Microsoft makes more money from Android than they do WP7. And I fully blame Nokia for the destruction of Maemo.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 112 | Thanked: 269 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Oulu, Finland
Originally Posted by rentze View Post
...becomes a pretty basic feature nowadays. Does the browser support Flash? No, it does not, although we do know it is there and it works. So it's a management decision. This list would be pretty long if I went on.
Actually, N9 will support flash. I watched latest teaser video (25/28) in Finnish N9 campaign (ensikosketus.nokia.fi) where they said that browser experience will be excellent including flash and html5 support.

Wholy cow! Pity that video 23/28 included missinformation about processor: they arguedt that N9 has dualcore processor so I cannot trust ensikosketus.nokia.fi campagin anymore. But hey! Let's hope that flash will be supported in browser!

EDIT: changed clip number: 24 to 25

Last edited by larux; 2011-10-09 at 08:27.

The Following User Says Thank You to larux For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????