Active Topics

Posts: 364 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by rrdbala View Post
ok i have posted the same question to maps team on their latest blog. let's see what answer they say now.

http://blog.ovi.com/2011/06/21/be-a-...ive/?wpmp_tp=2

i think everyone should post this question on nokia forum / blog then we may get some answer. as they released for meego now i am sure either nokia or some xpert on this community would be able to port to N900.
And I have posted too, again, on the blog site

http://blog.ovi.com/2010/05/31/meet-...the-maps-team/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vivmak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by uppercase View Post
Before we start having threads about "can we have N9 browser/email/player/events" lets make it clear:
These are all closed source and will stay that way forever and probably hardcoded to integrate with each other and disintegrate anywhere else.
source:

source
Yes I understand OVI maps and and others are closed source and NOKIA proprietary stuff. But year back OVI maps team was telling when they release for meego , N900 also will be able to use it.

That's the reason i started this thread to check if anyone might know some info and also we ( the n900 owners) are deseve to have it as we waited for years.

I too understand it may not happen but that's just my hope.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rrdbala For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Yes I understand OVI maps and and others are closed source and NOKIA proprietary stuff. But year back OVI maps team was telling when they release for meego , N900 also will be able to use it.

That's the reason i started this thread to check if anyone might know some info and also we ( the n900 owners) are deseve to have it as we waited for years.

I too understand it may not happen but that's just my hope.
Well Nokia says many things and promises many things.. but they barely deliver.. So we can only wait and see..

The Following User Says Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
ok i have posted the same question to maps team on their latest blog. let's see what answer they say now.

http://blog.ovi.com/2011/06/21/be-a-...ive/?wpmp_tp=2

i think everyone should post this question on nokia forum / blog then we may get some answer. as they released for meego now i am sure either nokia or some xpert on this community would be able to port to N900.
Did you see the response to your post? Unfortunately, it doesn't bode well for N900 users:

At the moment we don't have any plans to port this version of Maps onto the N900. There are technical limitation and UI constraints at play here.

Apologies for not being able to support the N900 further with regards to Mapping.

Thanks,
Dan
Also, there was an earlier post in the comments asking about whether or not these change would be brought over to Symbian, and the response was also that this version of OVI Maps was a Meego exclusive.

So... unless they decide to really surprise us, I'm not counting on it anymore...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ashyu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 364 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by ashyu View Post
Did you see the response to your post? Unfortunately, it doesn't bode well for N900 users:

Also, there was an earlier post in the comments asking about whether or not these change would be brought over to Symbian, and the response was also that this version of OVI Maps was a Meego exclusive.

So... unless they decide to really surprise us, I'm not counting on it anymore...
read the response and give up any hope :

Dan Martins 5 hours ago in reply to vivmak
"
Hi vivmak,

At the moment we don't have any plans to port this version of Maps onto the N900. There are technical limitation and UI constraints at play here.

Apologies for not being able to support the N900 further with regards to Mapping.

Thanks,
Dan
"

The Following User Says Thank You to vivmak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Originally Posted by vivmak View Post

This is a fluff excuse which actually means the bean counters don't want it done because it wont bring in more beans. I'm not sure that it matters much anyway.

Like others, I guess I'll get an N9, but not for maps. I think the N900 now has plenty of stand in replacements for it - marble, mappero, modrana, navit, and so on, with a ton of useful GPS utilities that fill other gaps that don't require turn by turn navigation. Aside from this, the geniuses in the ovi-maps thread have figured out how to get voice guidance on it anyway, among other things.

It'd be nice to get a few backports from the N9, though I expect Nokia would rather we just upgrade instead.

You mean downgrade, right?

Now that N9 is here,Is there any chance for a back port?

The quote from Nokia early on was that they would probably not back port it (posted a few times in this thread) ... with the move away from Maemo, Meego and Symbian underway, I'm doubtful that Nokia would invest any further money in Maemo. They have enough on their plate as it is already.

I think we're already lucky that the Meego N900 adaptation project is still running for now and that no one has fully pulled the plug on Meego yet (as Nokia did with the Symbian's attempt at opensource, which is now unfortunately closed).

Haha incidentally, as an added "slap in the face" Nokia had been working hard to bring Nokia Maps to iOS and Android in the form of HTML5 applications:

http://blog.ovi.com/2011/07/22/nokia...s-and-android/

I would guess that this probably has its roots in the N900 version of Ovi Maps, but still... can't help but feel a little disowned out at the sight of this.