Active Topics

Posts: 184 | Thanked: 327 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Nizhny Novgorod
Originally Posted by Miihkail View Post
I've countered 1 problem with n9 so far.

When i make mfe account everything goes as it should until about 5 min after account informs that it cannot contact the mail server and red arrow shows up at the upper edge.

Haven't found way to make it work.
I use mfe from telia sonera and it has been working without any problems on android, iOS, symbian, wp7 so there must be something in harmattan that causes this.

Mail works fine if i configure it to use imap, but i need my contacts and calendars asap.

Amazing phone in every way....

Forgot to tell that fist sync goes trough without any problems

Attach activesync logs (how to get logs) please, but before you do it, make sure that they are do not contain any confidential info that you don't want to share with everybody

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Odense S, Denmark
Isn't there a way to debug problems with MfE ourselves? It was mentioned earlier in the thread that these thiings are logged in syslog. Is there a way to display that output?

Originally Posted by Sergey_Kashin View Post
Unfortunately, only these sources are open.
So no change then, I got excited over nothing :-(

I am facing the "Can't connect to server" error after setting up my account. But I found a work around of the problem by toggling the non-provisional device on & off after each sync. For example. I had it "on", sync 1st time, then turn it off and sync 2nd time and that process takes place everytime. Which is extremely inconvient by the way.

I really hope Nokia can respond to this,

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Originally Posted by kai_en View Post
I am facing the "Can't connect to server" error after setting up my account. But I found a work around of the problem by toggling the non-provisional device on & off after each sync. For example. I had it "on", sync 1st time, then turn it off and sync 2nd time and that process takes place everytime. Which is extremely inconvient by the way.

I thought Nokia N9 has provisioning????

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
I think it is 2010, or at least that what it says on owa.
Was going to say... Exchange 2003 SP2 and higher are recommended. We're actually running an older, no SP instance of Exchange onsite and man, nothing connects to it. Not even WP7.

Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
I thought Nokia N9 has provisioning????
It does, I am saying that I need to toggle it on and off all the time in order to connect to my exchange server.

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
I really don't mean this in a bad way at all but, I think you guys can learn a great deal by just trying out the Windows Phone 7 email client as your main mail client for a few days. It is miles better than the N9/N900/Symbian client in nearly every way possible. (I own and owned SGS2, Omnia 7, N900, N9, iPhone4, N8 etc and so I'm basing this on my experience after I've used them all as my main daily email client for work)

WP7 client highlights: (Symbian client can do most of these also but just with different UI)

1. It auto-hyper links all the longish numbers with + symbol at beginning. (very handy when it's a phone number as you can just tap it and it gives you an option to dial it or sms it)
2. You can search your emails. (the whole inbox in the exchange server)
3. You can set flags. (for urgent or follow up emails) Then you can just quickly see the unread/flagged/urgent emails by swiping sideways on the inbox.
4. It has threaded emails. (conversations view)
5. It has support for out of office automatic replies. (setting/clearing)
6. But the biggest annoyance for me so far on the N9 client is when composing a new email and filling out the recipients. WP7 phone's email client suggests all the addresses that I've typed before or is in my phone contacts intelligently as I type the name. (exactly like how the PC outlook client does) Also, I can type just a few characters and let it auto-search my global address list (or entire gmail inbox if not MfE) to find that person's email address. Right now with N9's email client, I need to type everyone's email address to its fullest it seems. I can't even search for the recipients from GAL. If this can be done right now, please let me know as I must be blind....
7. Marking emails is much more convenient and deleting emails is much quicker also. (mark by tapping left of the email title which makes the check box appear and just hit the bin button. It deletes it instantly unlike N9 where it takes a few seconds)

Not saying everything is better on WP7:
- N9 has text editing capability. (bold/italic/font size etc) WP7 client does not! This is a major win for N9 client.
- N9 client has fast side scrolling with super easy date selection. Another big win.
- N9 client has mark all as read. This is really handy for some of my gmail accounts. WP7 does not have this. Nor does iOS5 client.

I rely on my emails heavily and right now, N9 mail client is just not cut out to be used as my main phone for it unfortunately. (mainly due to points 2 and 6)

I hope PR1.1 and PR1.2 updates address a lot of this so that the mail client is more fit for heavy use. If some of these are already in the works, GREAT. I love you guys. =) Until then, I guess I will have to continue carrying a WP7 phone and possibly even get a Nokia WP7 phone later on even though I love my N9. =P

It's a big rant I know. But I'm all for the N9 client to improve and hence I hope I gave some new ideas if you didn't know them already. (I doubt you didn't know any of them. hehe)

Last edited by jakiman; 2011-10-13 at 07:07.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kai_en View Post

We had a bug about it.

Last edited by Sergey_Kashin; 2011-10-13 at 07:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sergey_Kashin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
I really don't mean this in a bad way at all but, I think you guys can learn a great deal by just trying out the Windows Phone 7 email client as your main mail client for a few days. It is miles better than the N9/N900/Symbian client in nearly every way possible. (I own and owned SGS2, Omnia 7, N900, N9, iPhone4, N8 etc and so I'm basing this on my experience after I've used them all as my main daily email client for work)

WP7 client highlights: (Symbian client can do most of these also but just with different UI)

1. It auto-hyper links all the longish numbers with + symbol at beginning. (very handy when it's a phone number as you can just tap it and it gives you an option to dial it or sms it)
2. You can search your emails. (the whole inbox in the exchange server)
3. You can set flags. (for urgent or follow up emails) Then you can just quickly see the unread/flagged/urgent emails by swiping sideways on the inbox.
4. It has threaded emails. (conversations view)
5. It has support for out of office automatic replies. (setting/clearing)
6. But the biggest annoyance for me so far on the N9 client is when composing a new email and filling out the recipients. WP7 phone's email client suggests all the addresses that I've typed before or is in my phone contacts intelligently as I type the name. (exactly like how the PC outlook client does) Also, I can type just a few characters and let it auto-search my global address list (or entire gmail inbox if not MfE) to find that person's email address. Right now with N9's email client, I need to type everyone's email address to its fullest it seems. I can't even search for the recipients from GAL. If this can be done right now, please let me know as I must be blind....
7. Marking emails is much more convenient and deleting emails is much quicker also. (mark by tapping left of the email title which makes the check box appear and just hit the bin button. It deletes it instantly unlike N9 where it takes a few seconds)

Not saying everything is better on WP7:
- N9 has text editing capability. (bold/italic/font size etc) WP7 client does not! This is a major win for N9 client.
- N9 client has fast side scrolling with super easy date selection. Another big win.
- N9 client has mark all as read. This is really handy for some of my gmail accounts. WP7 does not have this. Nor does iOS5 client.

I rely on my emails heavily and right now, N9 mail client is just not cut out to be used as my main phone for it unfortunately. (mainly due to points 2 and 6)

I hope PR1.1 and PR1.2 updates address a lot of this so that the mail client is more fit for heavy use. If some of these are already in the works, GREAT. I love you guys. =) Until then, I guess I will have to continue carrying a WP7 phone and possibly even get a Nokia WP7 phone later on even though I love my N9. =P

It's a big rant I know. But I'm all for the N9 client to improve and hence I hope I gave some new ideas if you didn't know them already. (I doubt you didn't know any of them. hehe)
1. I'll check, perhaps we have/had a bug about it. Noted.
2. You CAN search emails in a folder Just hold your finger on the first email in a folder and search field wil appear on the top.
3. You mean set flags(importance etc.) on a message that you already get from server?
4. Noted.
5. Same as 4.
6. Same as 5. :-D Should be in the update.
7. Noted.

Thanks for a feedback!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sergey_Kashin For This Useful Post:

Tags
attachments, email, issues, mail exchange, nokia n9, nokia n950