Active Topics

I have a rock solid Skype with great quality. I am a rank newbie on the Nokia and haven't hacked it at all; I kept trying to install Skype until it said it was available, then it said it needed an OS upgrade, which I installed, and then I installed Skype. I've made several calls (from Canada) to North America and overseas Skype and telephones for up to half an hour with no problems whatsoever, no dropped calls, no dropouts in either direction.

My only disappointment was no video, I had been reading about Skype having video in beta for Linux and was expecting it. Any intel on when we might get it for the N810?

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Yes, rub it in. It seems to work with the N810 and 2008os, but not the N800.
(Is this correct?)
Did Skypeout work with N800/os2007?

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Wilmington, NC
> Did Skypeout work with N800/os2007?

Yep - still does.. I'm waiting for Skype on OS2008 before I upgrade.

Waiting patiently...

The Following User Says Thank You to schroncd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 70 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Mexico City
I emailed Skype at the same time I posted my message here. I finally received this reply from the company.... Unfortunately, it's not much help. I have downgraded to OS2007 and will wait patiently until there is a fix for the Skpe issue. --- It DOES work on 2007.

Hello raul---,

Thank you for contacting Skype Support.

You have contacted Skype customer support. We help people with questions about the Skype and our great products such as SkypePro. This team does not deliver support on hardware devices. The "Skype certified" label on hardware devices indicates that it has been tested by us and that it works well with the latest version of our software.

You can find the latest version of Skype here: http://www.skype.com/download

If you can not get started with the guide supplied with the hardware device, or you suspect that the device is faulty, or have any issue getting the device to work with your system then please contact the device vendor or manufacturer directly with this issue.

For questions regarding hardware orders and other physical products from the Skype Shop, we kindly ask you to contact our dedicated Skype Shop customer support team who will help you with your order:

http://accessories.skype.com/countrySelect

We do not produce or distribute any hardware ourselves and hence cannot give any support for it.

Thank you for your patience and understanding in this matter.

We apologise for your inconvenience

Best regards,

Olga - Skype Support

Visit www.skype.com for latest news, updates and tips.

--- Original Message ---
Received: 10.12.2007 2:56:55 GMT Standard Time (GMT - 0:00 )
To: support@skype.net
Subject: GQW: Using my Nokia N800

Name: raul----nez
Skype Name: raul----nez
E-mail: raul--------com
Topic: Promotions (Skype Unlimited, Vouchers, etc.)
Subtopic: Skype Unlimited (calls to US and Canada)
Subject: Using my Nokia N800
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I have redeemed my voucher for Unlimited calls in the USA & Canada, but each time I try to use the device to make a call, the receiving phone will ring and when they answer, I get a ((((Misc Error))) message and the call is dropped. I am using the newest version of Skype available. Version [10017/1.762.48.5] Do you have any suggestions?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Any Improvements in skype in OS2008 ( !beta ) ? I am in a place that rips me off for download bandwidth. Can some one confirm that skype *works* on the full version of 2008 ? If thats the case, I would go ahead and download it.

Thx

Yes, Skype now works. I have been using it all morning since flashing to
the new release. It would be nice if it used the built in camera, but I'm happy with it not crashing anymore.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
Originally Posted by sanraj83 View Post
Any Improvements in skype in OS2008 ( !beta ) ? I am in a place that rips me off for download bandwidth. Can some one confirm that skype *works* on the full version of 2008 ? If thats the case, I would go ahead and download it.

Thx
posted by other user:
Update:

I have flashed my N800 with the new OS and Skype. I have placed two very long calls with Skype-Out already.

Both calls went perfect as could be imagined. The first call was 35 minutes long. No issues whatsoever. The second call was longer and also worked mint.

Skype with this Official OS release today seems to be flawless.

M5

EDIT: The second Skype call went 47 minutes (when I ended the call) with zero problems....no chopiness, no disconnects, no anomalies. Perfect ! Now onto testing the bluetooth headset with Skype. Keeping my fingers crossed.

EDIT: paired this OS2008 - N800 with my Motorola (mono) Bluetooth headset ( HS850 ) and opened the N800 browser, steered to www.sky.fm and started streaming music to the bluetooth headset. It worked! Sound quality was fine ( for the HS850 which isn't High Fidelity ). Smooth, clean music (in one hear), nice.... Now to test it all with Skype.

Last edited by akd; 2007-12-18 at 20:10.

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2007 @ NY Metro Area, US
Originally Posted by caulktel View Post
Yes, Skype now works. I have been using it all morning since flashing to
the new release. It would be nice if it used the built in camera, but I'm happy with it not crashing anymore.
Linux beta with webcam is already out, so maemo version shouldn't be far behind.

I'll be checking out the official OS update tonight, fingers crossed it works well with Skype!