Active Topics

Posts: 151 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Mexico City, Mexico
Are the repositories down?

I am looking to download openssh from the extras repository. I wonder if it is not up and running yet for Chinook or....it is completely overloaded due the OS2008 official release or.... just plain dead.

Has anybody been able to install openssh from the extras repository on the official OS2008 ?

Thanks

It is there and working but tricky to get due to the traffic load on the servers. I'd just get the client or the server depending on needs rather than try for the combined package. Might be easier.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
For the last couple of hours I've been getting stat errors when attempting to install wget:

Code:
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com chinook/user Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com_certified_dists_chinook_user_binary-armel_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com chinook/user Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com_non-certified_dists_chinook_user_binary-armel_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com ./ Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com_updates_chinook_._Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://repository.maemo.org chinook/free Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/repository.maemo.org_extras_dists_chinook_free_binary-armel_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://repository.maemo.org chinook/non-free Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/repository.maemo.org_extras_dists_chinook_non-free_binary-armel_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
E: Package wget has no installation candidate
To me it looks like the servers have keeled over under the onslaught.

Maybe it is really time to coordinate a backup
service for all this repositories.

Probably a formal torrent service would be interesting....

Who would like to contribute resources to mirror this repos and provide a totally distributed
file serving service (services per geographical areas I am thinking).... ?

Ideas are welcome.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
Same here, stuck...
Half of maemo websites were not reachable.
I wonder if it's the network load or a more general problem (Upstream/ defective server..)

Who would like to contribute resources to mirror this repos and provide a totally distributed
file serving service (services per geographical areas I am thinking).... ?
Wow that's a big project

Maybe nokia?

ps:
It's not only chinook, bora also; as they are probably on same servers.

Yeah, probably those are on the same servers.

But, building a distributed network may allow say, you to have/manage a mirror of the Bora repositories (or the ones you wish, actually), I could have/manage the Chinook mirrors and so forth and so on.

Actually it is not that complex. Torrent already does that. The issue here is to kind of make it "formal" , in order to have the files online most of the time, not just for the brief moments there are seeds when some people download something....

It'd be very nice of Nokia to provide some resources to this as well........

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
Have you tried downloading from gronmayer?

Hope it clears up by the weekend, I'm looking forward to getting out of Beta. At least this is on par with any good Linux release, slowing servers to a crawl while everyone upgrades

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ MI, USA
Uncomprehendable !

How is it Nokia either doesn't care or just has no grip on reality. I mean c'mon, this same thing has happend the last 2 releases now, can't dl the bin frrom the "official" source and you can't install any software as their repo's are un-reachable. How is it they didn't see this coming ? As we all just went through this same headache on the beta ?

And I'm sooo sick of hearing ppl give Nokia all sorts of excuses, they're not some tiny start-up in silicon valley where they don't know what they're up against for gods sake they're a multi billion dollar corporation.

For once I'd love to hear from someone at Nokia give us the low-down on just exactly what they're up to, as so far it's COMPLETELY obvious they're not listening to US. (as with all the suggestions ppl posted about their ideas for the next IT, and where's our no more having to re-install apps again oh less I forget that''ll be on the next release or was that the next, next one or was it to be the last one ? and many other instances)

So far they just send out some lackeys and under-appreciated 3rd party devs to make up excuses for them, stop being enabler's really !

First it's "this" small geeky owners only that buy and use the NIT's and thats supposedly why we don't get more input/output from Nokia, then conviently enough 2 secs later we here at ITT are just the tip of the iceberg and there are gazillions of ppl trying to access files all at the same time, make your mind up already

Ludicrous, just absolutely ludicrous.

Last edited by TTgowings; 2007-12-19 at 04:28.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TTgowings For This Useful Post:
ok dwld os2008 , its so downloading app from resp. i'm guessing servers slow? so like the other said hopefully by the weekend everything will be ok, need to put back messenger, kagu and other apps