Originally Posted by pali View Post
Had somebody try to use my patched new version? http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=47
I'm no expert on building debian packages, but I do have a working scratchbox environment, so I gave this a shot. I got an error about the ca-certificates location. I was unable to install ca-certificates in scratchbox (it doesn't look to be installed on my n900 either), and when I tried to compile without the ca-certs (which we probably don't want to do) I got a different error. See below.

Code:
> dpkg-source -x telepathy-gabble_0.13.5-0maemo1.dsc
> cd telepathy-gabble-0.13.5
> dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -b

checking location of system Certificate Authority list... configure: error:
could not find. Use --with-ca-certificates=path to set, or
--without-ca-certificates to disable

> fakeroot apt-get install ca-certificates
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Package ca-certificates is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package ca-certificates has no installation candidate

> DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS="--without-ca-certificates"
> dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -b

checking location of system Certificate Authority list... configure: error: could not find. Use --with-ca-certificates=path to set, or --without-ca-certificates to disable

> ./configure --without-ca-certificates
configure: error: Package requirements (glib-2.0 >= 2.24, gobject-2.0 >= 2.24, gthread-2.0 >= 2.24) were not met:

Requested 'glib-2.0 >= 2.24' but version of GLib is 2.20.3
Requested 'gobject-2.0 >= 2.24' but version of GObject is 2.20.3
Requested 'gthread-2.0 >= 2.24' but version of GThread is 2.20.3
If anyone knows how to handle the ca-certificates issue and the glib/gobject/gthread dependencies let me know and I'll give this another shot.

Last edited by PeteMo; 2011-10-15 at 12:44.

The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMo For This Useful Post:
I have the same issue I guess this time google is sticking with the changes

Same here, another time :-(

same here, will this signal to the end of the n900?

I had this issue. However, not all people experienced this.

Its now a big issue since Nokia no more going to support N900, skype is behind MicroSoft now. Sooner or later the N900 will not be able to do Video Chat via these 2 services. XMPP could? I don't know. And futhur more, nobody using SIP for Video call.

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Amsterdam
I have the same problem, starting 4-6 weeks ago. I use kernel power47 and power48 on my other n900. But cant see my gmail contacts online anymore. Also, if i click on an gmail-contact now, it sends a request to chat to that contact every single time
I suppose Google wants to keep this functionality exclusively in Android or something?! Even then, it should be possible to update Maemo in order to make it work again! (thanks to everyone working on this)
But i am able to send IM messages to gmail-contacts though, and THEN i see if they're online or offline from my own message status.
Another way to work is to use the agent switcher for browser MicroB and open your gmail-account. Click on chat and there you see your online contacts. I dont know how often it refreshes

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by wurusai View Post
deleting a gmail contact results in no contacts being shown in the IM list it seems. thinking of a workaround.
Are you sure it's after deleting a contact? In my case it happened after a reboot. No gmail contacts online anymore...

I pay $100 to the first who codes a solution for Maemo power kernel

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by rogierrr View Post
Are you sure it's after deleting a contact? In my case it happened after a reboot. No gmail contacts online anymore...

I pay $100 to the first who codes a solution for Maemo power kernel
Guys!!
I too have been having the same problem but I have found a work-around.

To recap, problem is no Gtalk contacts/presence information shown.

Tried it today 19/10/2011 and it is working!

What i have done is simply create a 'jabber' IM account and logged in with my Gtalk username and password. All of my GTalk contacts are there with presence working fine. Enjoy.....

Note: jabber and Gtalk should be using XMPP protocol, but it appears that the jabber integration on the N900 works better!

@rogierrr -- not a coded solution but I will still collect that £100 please ($ -- not worth anything here in the Uk!!)

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Netherlands
It seems to be fixed (again) ! Gmail contacts now shown as online/offline etc.

Yes Yes!!! Google fixed it again!!! It works for me too