Active Topics

Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
Apart from the obvious reason, which is that maemo.org is a forum that frickin rocks. But I am no power-user, and still have a fully-functioning N900, an E7 and a 6131 I use as a door-stop occasionally.

If I were to find an envelope with $700 in the trash, why should I spend it at expansys and buy a 16GB N9?

I trust the people here, which is why I ask so directly. I love a qwerty keyboard, but I'd be willing to "learn" to use a touchscreen one if people could please let me know some (non-fanboy) reasons why the N9 should be bought - while it still can.

Thanks

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jyväskylä, Finland
Originally Posted by AndyNokia232 View Post
Apart from the obvious reason, which is that maemo.org is a forum that frickin rocks. But I am no power-user, and still have a fully-functioning N900, an E7 and a 6131 I use as a door-stop occasionally.

If I were to find an envelope with $700 in the trash, why should I spend it at expansys and buy a 16GB N9?

I trust the people here, which is why I ask so directly. I love a qwerty keyboard, but I'd be willing to "learn" to use a touchscreen one if people could please let me know some (non-fanboy) reasons why the N9 should be bought - while it still can.

Thanks
Try it and you will know it.

I could try it, and I'm sure I'd know it, but I'm not sure about their refund policy if it turns out I don't like it.

Why would I "know it"?!

Answer is simple - You should not. Really, it's just a waste of money, especially, if You have working N900.

On other situations, I would just recommend to buy N900 for 200$, and save for possible future devices (maybe some really Open one?).

Anyway, even if You're totally N9 biased, You'll probably be able to buy it for less than half price in few months - especially, after Nokia piss of fanboys by some "discounted support" decisions, while focusing on w$nphone. you can expect many fluctuating on ebay etc.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 29 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jyväskylä, Finland
I could try it, and I'm sure I'd know it, but I'm not sure about their refund policy if it turns out I don't like it.

Why would I "know it"?!
It's just like falling in love, can't tell story shorter, you must experience it to know it..

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Boston, MA
Short answer is its awesome... I struggled with the same question and after watching the engadget and other reviews I sent off $700 to a seller on amazon.com and got my nice shiny new N9 last thursday...

I went from N900 to Android to N9 and the N9 is just frickin awesome, theres nothing like it out there. Perfectly smooth, really nice visuals and effects - swiping works brilliantly, try it with a game or a video playing and its just awesome!

Wish this was Nokia's main platform but we all know how that went...

Originally Posted by jer006 View Post
Short answer is its awesome... I struggled with the same question and after watching the engadget and other reviews I sent off $700 to a seller on amazon.com and got my nice shiny new N9 last thursday...

I went from N900 to Android to N9 and the N9 is just frickin awesome, theres nothing like it out there. Perfectly smooth, really nice visuals and effects - swiping works brilliantly, try it with a game or a video playing and its just awesome!

Wish this was Nokia's main platform but we all know how that went...
Thanks - this is more useful! What specific things do you like about it? I know some people might say (not here anyway) why buy an N9 when you could get a Lumia 800? Well I for one know how awesome Maemo is and I'm not bothered about WP right now.

What are the N9's downsides, mainly, how is it to type on without a physical qwerty? Thanks!

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi

Thanks
If only you were to mention your income, mortage, montly savings etc,.. we could put the 700 USD in perspective.

That said, I was expecting the VKB to be the greatest letdown. It isn't half as bad as I expected. Proof is I still can bring up the effort to reply to this post using it.
The screen however is the biggest disappointment to me, coming from the impeccable N900.

I d say check one before you buy. Then buy for other reasons but the screen.

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Try to me means try on somebody else's device, one of the forum members here perhaps, if you know one.

It is hard since you cant just go to the shop/dealer to test out the display sets.

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Utah, America
It doesnt even come with a memory card slot and for only a 16GB or heck even a 64GB $700 is outragous & only has a 1Ghz cpu so the awnser is NO!!!!!
This is not a buy.