Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
JonnyCat : Canola now has an opensource Crawler. We realized that the scanner was the source of our worst problems so we opensourced a new and much more improved version of it. So you can go to garage (light media scanner ) and dig the source.

Also: no more webinterface. Please take a look in the website screenshots in the main pages.

Br

Sorry for the servers is actually our of our control, and we need to keep it there (it's a lot of debians) to avoid dependencie problems. Sorry for that, but it will be better in the end.

Originally Posted by handful View Post
JonnyCat : Canola now has an opensource Crawler. We realized that the scanner was the source of our worst problems so we opensourced a new and much more improved version of it. So you can go to garage (light media scanner ) and dig the source.
Out of curiosity, why don't you use the crawler that's on the system, or give us an option to disable the system crawler in favor of your crawler?

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
Very impressive! Will the final release get a nice "Chinook" sized application icon? That's the first thing I see missing. (I know it's picky.. hehe..) )

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
Very impressive! Will the final release get a nice "Chinook" sized application icon? That's the first thing I see missing. (I know it's picky.. hehe..) )
Make sure you haven't hit bug #2568.

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Make sure you haven't hit bug #2568.
Ouch. Rebooting didn't fix it for me though.

Fix the damn repos already !

What is this, 1997? How is it possible that servers could be tanked for so long? I can't imagine that the traffic is that huge...there just aren't that many tablets out there, and even fewer die-hards like us who are eager to update to the latest and greatest.

If I were Nokia, I'd be livid...they're looking like a two-bit hardware vendor. It's as if the repositories are being hosted on some dude's basement linux box over ISDN. The server admins should be fired.

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Maryland
Originally Posted by crackhead View Post
What is this, 1997? How is it possible that servers could be tanked for so long? I can't imagine that the traffic is that huge...there just aren't that many tablets out there, and even fewer die-hards like us who are eager to update to the latest and greatest.

If I were Nokia, I'd be livid...they're looking like a two-bit hardware vendor. It's as if the repositories are being hosted on some dude's basement linux box over ISDN. The server admins should be fired.
LOL..crackhead cracks me up...but no kidding its 07 not 97... im gettin the file corrupted message!

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Colorado, USA
Every time a new version of ubuntu comes out, ubuntu repositories are immediately hammered by many many times more people than coulb be hitting maemo repos. This is really inexcusable.

Much has been said about the repo issues; despite having joked that the repos are probably hosted on a refurbished N800 using stolen 802.11b bandwidth from an aging neighbour, I'm more interested in hearing from Nokia than griping at them. We can assume that Nokia actually did some planning for this. Read the threads; they are using a global content delivery service which *should* have been transparent and eased the pain. Where Nokia likely fell down is either not testing it thoroughly (I've seen random problems from my corner of the world for weeks) or not sizing their contract, or, perhaps its the content provider (Akamai).

Its pointless to guess any further or gripe; we can be assured that Nokia is already feeling some pain and is taking steps. Regardless, the trail of comments left for the whims of future internet searches via Google and the like will bring this issue up time and again, so hopefully Nokia has a positive resolution in the works which will avoid this issue from revisiting us in the future.

Rehashing just to vent is pointless.