Active Topics

I have had several lockups under the new OS. They range from the screen no longer responding to input (although I can still hear the click from touching it). Under this circumstance the buttons still work. I have also experience full lock ups requiring holding down the power button until the unit shuts down.

Anyone else having these issues? Under the previous versions I did not experience this kind of instability.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Yes, I've had several situations today where the process "pdflush" has gone mad and consumed 100% CPU for an extended period of time, usually between 5 and 30 seconds. During this time, the current foreground application no longer responds and sometimes the OS helpfully suggests killing the application even though it's not the application that is at fault, it's the pdflush process which apparently commits or writes buffered filesystem updates to the actual filesystem.

If you can, run "top" in xterm or an ssh session and next time your device "hangs" see if pdflush is taking all your CPU. I'll open a bug if it continues to happen to me or others confirm my observations (I've rebooted and it hasn't helped).

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for that, especially if I can ssh in.

I own N800 and I must say I'm considering to install back the beta OS 2008 because the installing of new apps takes forever, application manager doesn't respond to check for updates and most important there is something strange with thumb scrolling in fbreader!!!!
But otherwise I think that browsing feels faster and battery life seems better....

Posts: 136 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Lafayette, LA
Originally Posted by kvakvak View Post
I own N800 and I must say I'm considering to install back the beta OS 2008 because the installing of new apps takes forever, application manager doesn't respond to check for updates and most important there is something strange with thumb scrolling in fbreader!!!!
But otherwise I think that browsing feels faster and battery life seems better....
That makes no sense, because once you reinstall the beta OS of 2008 you will still need to access the inaccessible repos that you are complaining about right now to reinstall your apps.

PLEASE KEEP THIS THREAD ON TOPIC!!

Thank you!

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Yes, I've had several situations today where the process "pdflush" has gone mad and consumed 100% CPU for an extended period of time, usually between 5 and 30 seconds.
I had the *exact* same issue with OS2007.. I never did figure out what was causing it, but it always seemed to have issues when I launched Canola. A reflash fixed the issue (altho I never reinstalled Canola).

Originally Posted by coffeedrinker View Post
I have had several lockups under the new OS. They range from the screen no longer responding to input (although I can still hear the click from touching it). Under this circumstance the buttons still work.
Yeah, i get that particular problem once every few days. I'll unlock the screen to switch tracks or start/stop music and the touchscreen won't respond (though the buttons work fine). I have to power-cycle to get things back to normal.

After the first couple times it happened, i reflashed with OS 2008 and didn't reinstall any apps. But I still encounter the problem. Running nothing buy microb, notes and media player, it'll happen every three to four days.

Last edited by Roc Ingersol; 2007-12-20 at 22:08.

I definitely am seeing some lockup issues. I will try to see if pdflush is using resources but I see the tablet hanging then it goes again. I see it with the browser and especially with app manager. At least one time it reset itself.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
I've opened bug #2615 for my pdflush problem, anyone else with the same problem please vote or comment against the bug.