@vi_
Basically, explit and others have said everything. I'm using multiboot, so I've put it after line 9. In any case, You need to modprobe it very early..

@reinob
Honestly, I have absolutely no idea what is causing this. I wonder how it is implemented in backupmenu, cause using recorvery console from there, doesn't result in date reset (at least for me). You could compare sources, I suppose.

Keep in mind, that currently recorvery console in backupmenu is kinda broken - it works, but after typing Your login and hitting enter, You're back in backupmenu. This happen only while using busybox-power (kudos vi_, for finding this), which I suppose most power users (and up) got installed.

---

As for my preferences, I would love to have recovery console possible before backupmenu - may be useful, in such 0,00001% of cases, where both maemo and backupmenu could got screwed, but initial boot not but this date and time issue is bugging me. In this thread, one can find posts by RobbieThe1st - kinda "documenting" his efforts, to include recovery console in backupmenu (it was based on Mentalist Traceur work), so maybe some hints could be get from his posts. Unfortunately, AFAIK hes absent on TMO now.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
As for my preferences, I would love to have recovery console possible before backupmenu
Wait... if that's what you want then I think you can just insert the code I added to the normal /sbin/preinit, into whatever /sbin/preinit you have already (multiboot provides its own /sbin/preinit, but it should work there, and bootmenu on which the original Backupmenu was based executes after /sbin/preinit)?

If you do that, instead of using the one built in to backupmenu, then it should just go in order through the recovery shell press-any-key countdown that I have, and after that go straight into backupmenu / multiboot as normal?

(I never personally tested, because I don't use either bootmenu, backupmenu, or multiboot, but from what I understand that's how it should work.)

Originally Posted by pali View Post
Good news!

Maemo Community can modify & redistribute shell script /sbin/preinit for open source community projects. See Quim Gil post: https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12228#c9
Cool. Now I can package my /sbin/preinit boot shell as is without recoding /sbin/preinit.

Although at this point I feel like I should eventually finish up my open source /sbin/preinit recode/clone as a matter of principle, whenever I get around to it.

Also, because the more pieces of Maemo 5 have open source counterparts, the happier I am because maybe, just maybe, someone will pick it up some day and slap it on some newer hardware. (Yeah, yeah, MeeGo/Taizen-or-whatever-Intel's-calling-their-thing and all that, but I feel Maemo 5 is better for a number of reasons and that's a discussion for another thread anyway.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@Estel and @Mentalist Traceur,

FWIW, my goal is to re-work (hack) /sbin/preinit so that it loads fbcon first thing and then displays a menu (before doing anything else).

The menu (perhaps compiled using slang so it looks nice) would allow running a root console, running backupmenu (or perhaps a "customized" version of it, since I don't like the whole text2screen stuff) as well as booting Maemo.

As a sub-goal I would also like a console with everything loaded except X. This way you would have everything mounted, udev running, charging, etc, but all in pure text mode (basically a multi-user runlevel w/o X).

But first things first , I need to sort out the date/time, plus I need to compile the German kmap!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Your problem may be related to init run levels and the scripts that are supposed to be run during boot/shutdown. There is a script for copying hardware clock to system clock at startup and shutdown. There is also a script for detecting if you are booting the device for the first time (starts 'startup wizard/clock set thingy).

Perhaps as you are 'hijacking' the boot sequence only half of these scripts are occurring. Maybe the system boots, does not copy hwclock to system clock (leaving system clock full of garbage), shuts down and copys garbage system clock to hwclock.

The n900 was never designed to be started this way, the startup scripts are less than bulletproof (they make a lot of assumptions i.e. NO ONE WILL EVER INTERRUPT PREINIT right? RIGHT??).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
@Estel and @Mentalist Traceur,

FWIW, my goal is to re-work (hack) /sbin/preinit so that it loads fbcon first thing and then displays a menu (before doing anything else).
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Cool. Now I can package my /sbin/preinit boot shell as is without recoding /sbin/preinit.

Although at this point I feel like I should eventually finish up my open source /sbin/preinit recode/clone as a matter of principle, whenever I get around to it.

Also, because the more pieces of Maemo 5 have open source counterparts, the happier I am because maybe, just maybe, someone will pick it up some day and slap it on some newer hardware. (Yeah, yeah, MeeGo/Taizen-or-whatever-Intel's-calling-their-thing and all that, but I feel Maemo 5 is better for a number of reasons and that's a discussion for another thread anyway.)
I'm going to fix /sbin/preinit - it has some bugs. And I will create general solution for loading additional modules and more functions usefull for bootmenu.

I think we do not need 3 other implementation of /sbin/preinit

I want to integrate /sbin/preinit into my getbootstate repository, see:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=73792

Then we will have open source version of origin Maemo package getbootstate

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
I'm going to fix /sbin/preinit - it has some bugs. And I will create general solution for loading additional modules and more functions usefull for bootmenu.

I think we do not need 3 other implementation of /sbin/preinit

I want to integrate /sbin/preinit into my getbootstate repository, see:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=73792

Then we will have open source version of origin Maemo package getbootstate

The Following User Says Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
I do have one question...how the f* do I rmmod fbcon? The only way I can remove it is by using a forced removal which leads to reboot (I think DSME gets crashed and stops tickling teh watchdog).

How do I remove it safely?

The rational is I have seen some odd behaviour. After a reboot from the command line 'reboot' the system switches off (ancient KP bug). This is cool however on restarting the system, it always starts up then immediately shuts down (no I have not had a chance to notice the startup mode (act-dead/user/etc)).

I can set Xorg to remove the fbcon module (it is no longer needed anymore) with 'xsession.shutdown' scripts. This may help.

Also how do I switch to the fbcon terminal 'ala ctrl+alt+F1 on meh debian box?

Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
The rational is I have seen some odd behaviour. After a reboot from the command line 'reboot' the system switches off (ancient KP bug). This is cool however on restarting the system, it always starts up then immediately shuts down (no I have not had a chance to notice the startup mode (act-dead/user/etc)).
Just for the record, I'm using fbcon loaded from preinit, and I don't have such issues (ancient mysterious reboot/shutdown bug occurs, but powering of is 100% times ok and happy)

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
I do have one question...how the f* do I rmmod fbcon? The only way I can remove it is by using a forced removal which leads to reboot (I think DSME gets crashed and stops tickling teh watchdog).

How do I remove it safely?

I can set Xorg to remove the fbcon module (it is no longer needed anymore) with 'xsession.shutdown' scripts. This may help.

Also how do I switch to the fbcon terminal 'ala ctrl+alt+F1 on meh debian box?
If you want to rmmod fbcon, you need first deattach console from framebuffer device.

ctrl+alt+fX can be switched by command: $ chvt X

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
If you want to rmmod fbcon, you need first deattach console from framebuffer device.

ctrl+alt+fX can be switched by command: $ chvt X
as mentioned above use chvt to do that, however you should make sure getty is running on the virtual terminal you are trying to switch too.

to get getty to run, add a file to /etc/event.d, doesn't matter what you call it.

it should look like:

start on startup
stop on starting shutdown

exec /sbin/getty 115200 tty3 /bin/sh

respawn

also please take note that X server is started on vt2 on maemo( as far as I remember), so avoid starting getty on tty2, or change the vt that X uses to something else in /etc/event.d/xomap.

there seems to be a problem however, if you switch to another virtual terminal while hildon desktop is running the text written on the terminal will be overlayed by hildon-desktop, meaning you can write text, and read text (hard) from the virtual terminal but every second, the display will be updated as if hildon-desktop is in focus, but of course you can't interact with it, sadly I don't know how to solve this.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ivyking For This Useful Post:

Tags
console, console-mode, framebuffer, recovery, recovery-mode