Poll: Have you successfully installed Nitdroid by now?
Poll Options
Have you successfully installed Nitdroid by now?

Originally Posted by vetsin View Post
@rb26vl
what does it do?
and is there any reason why i shouldn't do it?

EDIT:
did some research and 32 is the optimum value, found by trial and error. going higher won't necessarily improve anything and may cause instability. go lower than 24, you'll experience more app closes.
thanks for sharing rb26vl!
You found it Sets the max JVM size to 32MB...think the default is 16...pathetic for most apps.

And no, no reason you shouldn't use it

Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
Originally Posted by rb26vl View Post
You found it Sets the max JVM size to 32MB...think the default is 16...pathetic for most apps.

And no, no reason you shouldn't use it
This should be implemented in 2.3.7, totally changes things.

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by rb26vl View Post
For anyone having issues with "Force close" errors in a lot of apps in Nitrdoid (OOME usually), the following fix should help:

1. Boot into Maemo
2. Open X-Term (Ctrl+X)
3. Run 'vi /home/system/build.prop'
4. Press i to change to edit/insert mode
5. At the end of the file, add the following line:
dalvik.vm.heapsize=32m
6. Press 'esc', write ':wq'
7. Boot back into Nitdroid and you should be sweet
since that line already exists before the end of that document, shouldn't we just change the value from 20 to 32?

The Following User Says Thank You to GrimyHR For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ammyt View Post
This should be implemented in 2.3.7, totally changes things.
Tis almost a well oiled machine now

Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
since that line already exists before the end of that document, shouldn't we just change the value from 20 to 32?
hmmm, i'm on 2.3.7, it wasn't in mine? but yeah, do that

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
im still on 2.3.4
this is great, with this and lowering the textures to 16bit, dungeon hunter 2 hd works smooth almost all the time, and samurai vengeance 2 works better too

Last edited by GrimyHR; 2011-11-26 at 14:11.

Originally Posted by blackjack4it View Post
Archos 5 and N900 share the same GPS chip (NL5350) and here I found the Archos GPS source code:
http://dev.openaos.org/browser/trunk...5350.c?rev=139

For Front Camera VS6555 we could port driver from Meego:
http://meego.gitorious.org/maemo-mul...50?format=diff

Here the dev added support for FM Transmitter on Nitdroid:
https://gitorious.org/nitdroid-2-6-3...00-next?page=3

Here there is the source for the TSL2563 driver:
http://rosedu.org/~pylxr/stable/?pro...ging/iio/light

Anyone that could compile these drivers as Nitdroid modules?
Is eyes aware of all of this (excluding the FM bit hehe)?? ammyt?? I am sure it could help him greatly

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pablocrossa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
How do you stop this thing from draining 50% battery in ~30 minutes? It also makes the N900 warm enough to make my palms sweat all over the phone.

EDIT: btw, the 2.6.35 kernel looks like it was based on the original MeeGo for N900 Preview release, and last updated almost a year ago. should probably be rebased on the latest 2.6.37 Mer kernel, which now has power management, and support for all the hardware devices. Oh, and using the 2.6.37 kernel would mean that you guys would be forced to stop depending on pieces of Maemo (this is a good thing).

brb, setting up a build machine to use for this.

EDIT2: How do we build a kernel for NITDroid?

Last edited by Hurrian; 2011-11-27 at 02:15.

Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
How do you stop this thing from draining 50% battery in ~30 minutes? It also makes the N900 warm enough to make my palms sweat all over the phone.

EDIT: btw, the 2.6.35 kernel looks like it was based on the original MeeGo for N900 Preview release, and last updated almost a year ago. should probably be rebased on the latest 2.6.37 Mer kernel, which now has power management, and support for all the hardware devices. Oh, and using the 2.6.37 kernel would mean that you guys would be forced to stop depending on pieces of Maemo (this is a good thing).

brb, setting up a build machine to use for this.
The heat is probably the overclock or the wireless going crazy (I heard it isn't as stable as wanted). Install an overclocking program to set it to something reasonable (read a post 1 or 2 pages ago i commented on, should help) and check if the wifi is connected correctly and not going crazy (my injection drivers and modified osso-wlan on maemo sometimes try connecting all day to my home network when im at school, heats up a lot and drains battery like h*ll). Although expect it to drain a lot of battery still, not optimized and clogs the CPU too much, but those tips should help your overall system's stability and longevity

Bring the clocks down, not a good idea for it to fry itself

Second note I believe your idea is good, any tests let us know. Now that you are setting this up if you ever compile nitdroid on your native device give the drivers above a test, if IB wasn't so annoying with extended essays and the such I would at least try myself. Thx for the good work and keep it up, hope the first suggestions help you

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
I think that kernel build instructions should be added.
It's as simple as checkout from git, and make changes, then make, preferably with the NDK. (codesourcery toolchain pumps out code of dubious reliability, based on my tests with a Tab 8.9)

EDIT: Hmm, it seems that WiFi being connected makes the battery burn. However, I was using the phone <3 feet away from the router. Does the driver just set TX power to maximum?

Last edited by Hurrian; 2011-11-27 at 12:16.

Tags
community win, mor*nicindians, nitdroid