Active Topics

Notices

Thanks for your suggestions regarding integrating Woodchuck into FeedingIt!

I've sent some patches to Yves to:

- Not hard-code the update interval, but to respect the configuration setting.
- To add an option in the settings dialog to enable/disable Woodchuck.
- To prompt the user the first time he/she starts FeedingIt whether they'd like to install Woodchuck, if Woodchuck is not detected.

Changing Woodchuck to perform updates over 3G is a bit more tricky: lots of users have low data caps. I have a plan, which is to introduce per-connection policies to Woodchuck. Users would then briefly describe the data plan the first time they connect (unlimited, 100 MB/month, .24 per MB, etc.) and Woodchuck would use this to decide whether to schedule updates over the connection.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to neal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 324 | Thanked: 371 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver, BC
FeedingIt is now available in the Ovi Store for Meego Harmattan (N9/N950).
http://store.ovi.com/content/227782

Neal's changes for the N900 version will be pushed in the next few days as well.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slocan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by neal View Post
Thanks for your suggestions regarding integrating Woodchuck into FeedingIt!

I've sent some patches to Yves to:

- Not hard-code the update interval, but to respect the configuration setting.
- To add an option in the settings dialog to enable/disable Woodchuck.
- To prompt the user the first time he/she starts FeedingIt whether they'd like to install Woodchuck, if Woodchuck is not detected.
Yves has committed these changes (thanks!) and uploaded a new package to extras-devel (0.9.1-4). It would be great if people could test these packages and report whether there are problems. Thanks!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neal For This Useful Post:
I think the 1058th line of file '/opt/FeedingIt/rss_sqlite.py' should be changed from 'w.stream_unregister (id)' to 'wc().stream_unregister (id)'. Or else, it can not update itself automatically.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jameshunt For This Useful Post:
One more bug.
The auto-update interval can not be set as '0.5', when woodchuck is used, because of the 'int' problem.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jameshunt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 800 | Thanked: 957 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ India
Regd the haramttan version of Feedingit, it does not have autoupdate in the background? Is this a limitation of the platform (set by aegis) or is it in your to do list?
BTW, on the N900, this is a great app and one of the first things I install after a flash!

My apps for N9:
LockScreenQuotes
USbS

If you feel I have helped you, don't forget to press Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to ejasmudar For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jameshunt View Post
I think the 1058th line of file '/opt/FeedingIt/rss_sqlite.py' should be changed from 'w.stream_unregister (id)' to 'wc().stream_unregister (id)'. Or else, it can not update itself automatically.
Good catch, thanks! I've come up with a patch and pushed it to Yves.

The Following User Says Thank You to neal For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jameshunt View Post
One more bug.
The auto-update interval can not be set as '0.5', when woodchuck is used, because of the 'int' problem.
I fixed this as well. Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to neal For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ejasmudar View Post
Regd the haramttan version of Feedingit, it does not have autoupdate in the background? Is this a limitation of the platform (set by aegis) or is it in your to do list?
BTW, on the N900, this is a great app and one of the first things I install after a flash!
Time-based auto-update relies on the widget, which is not available on the N9.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 324 | Thanked: 371 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver, BC
Originally Posted by ejasmudar View Post
The N9 version should also be compatible with Woodchuck (Neal made a harmattan version, but I have to admit I haven't really tested it recently). I think this will be the recommended update mechanism for now.
The alternative for now is to leave the app running in the background as it used to be on the N900 before the widget came along.

The Following User Says Thank You to Slocan For This Useful Post: